Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • car broken into, nothing stolen, claim for smashed window?
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’ve been quoted £100 to get the window replaced. Should I have gone through my insurance?

My gut feeling is no, surely my insurance would use this as an excuse to bump up my premium come renewal time. No way to check without phoning them and admitting to the attempted theft/vandalism.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can’t see it being a good idea to claim – do they still penalise for non-fault claims? Plus there’s bound to be an excess no?

mattyfez

Not worth claiming for £100.

jimmy

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

simon_g

The glass cover usually covers the non-windscreen glass too, typically small excess and doesn’t affect NCB (but do check).

I had a rear and side window replaced on mine after someone smashed them, was processed exactly like when I’ve had a windscreen replaced.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, Insurance co. will quite rightly view it as a good chance the thievist will be back at some point…..

oliverracing

Nope, Was once told it’s never worth claiming on anything less that the cost of your premium, don’t know how true this is but worth thinking about

stevextc
    Free Member

I’d say no but you COULD just get a quote for the make/model without giving your REG details and stick in the answer “Y” …. but I strongly suspect it’s not worth it for £100….

If its a winding window you could do it yourself anyway… check out YouTube for your make/model… but obviously it might take you longer to get the right window.. I haven’t actually replaced a window but basing this on changing the electric winder on a my OH’s Honda and changing door cards on my BMW… In both cases from memory I’d say I could have just slotted a new window in whilst the door card was off without too much fuss.

If its a rear non winding (on a 3 door) it’s might be a lot harder…???

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Thanks.
    It’s the small side window (quarter glass). I’m not claiming (or talking to the insurance company).

It’s not the best weather to be missing a window!

timmys

I had a side window replaced by Autoglass through insurance in similar circumstance for whatever the glass excess was at the time (£50?). Dude at Autoglass was like “a stone flicked up and broke this didn’t it, YES?” so obviously it’s not meant to cover break-in but they don’t care, they just want the work.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s the small side window (quarter glass). I’m not claiming (or talking to the insurance company)

Yep but you can get a quote just don’t give your REG….

If its a pivoting quarter window might not be too hard to replace…. its the ones sealed in (like windscreens and back window) that I’d not have a clue where to start…

I’d check ebay, someones always breaking some car or other (search for breaking and your model) and see what the chance is of getting a replacement window…. meanwhile when you take out the broken bit you should get an idea of how much hassle to fit a new one….

Most stuff like that isn’t much more difficult than changing a chain once you see it done on youtube. (Least in my experience)

parkesie
    Free Member

If you so much as call the insurance company youl get follow up calls asking if you’d like to claim for whiplash.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nope, Was once told it’s never worth claiming on anything less that the cost of your premium, don’t know how true this is but worth thinking about

I love gems like this.

No logic to it whatsoever, but it sounds clever so it gets repeated.

What about 17 year olds where the premium is £2500 and the car is worth £2400 ?

cultsdave
    Free Member

I claimed for exactly this through my windscreen cover. It made no difference to my insurance premium the following few years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 windscreens and a door window replaced under insurance.

I was never even asked about the the cause, and no effect on premiums.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Just been through something similar.

Bashed the rear of the car, 3 different panels affected, thought “this is going to cost a fortune” so started a claim.

Next day at work mate says his uncle does car bodywork and quotes me 260 quid, my excess was 275.

Cancelled the claim but insurance still have it listed as an incident even though no money was handed over from them or action taken by them.

Fast forward a month to renewal time and my insurance had gone up by 200 a year due to this incident being reported, so I just cancelled and went elsewhere as they (compare the market results) were still slightly more than my older premium due to me (stupidly) admitting to the bump but nowhere near 200 more.

SO, if it’s a small bump / scratch etc get a quote before you contact insurance (unless you have no choice due to police involvement etc where lying about timescales might void insurance etc..)

prawny

You can, and for glass claims you wont even go through to your insurers, it will be (most likley) option one for glass and then you get transferred to the insurers glass partner.

But, excess is likely to be £75 these days if not more, so whether it’s worth it depends on how skint you are.

It won’t affect your premium come renewal time. Unless you specifically ask to get through to someone at the insurers and say you’ve had an attempted theft. Or post about it on some kind of internet forum 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Just been through something similar.

Bashed the rear of the car, 3 different panels affected, thought “this is going to cost a fortune” so started a claim.

Although it’s insurance related, it’s not really similar, as your claim was for an accident that you had. This will always increase premiums.
    Glass claims won’t.

Mackem

Even if you don’t claim, aren’t you supposed to inform them? Possibly I dreamed this.

nealglover
    Free Member

Even if you don’t claim, aren’t you supposed to inform them? Possibly I dreamed this.

That’s what they ask you to do yes.

For a glass claim though, there is no harm in telling them, as it makes no difference

johnners
    Free Member

For a glass claim though, there is no harm in telling them, as it makes no difference

I don’t think that’s true, they still expect you to tell them. It’s so they can put your premium up for parking in an area frequented by thieves.

Jamie
    Free Member

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Oh, mama mia, mama mia (Mama mia, let me go.)

v8ninety

It’s so they can put your premium up for parking in an area frequented by thieves.

Pretty rubbish thieves, that don’t steal anything.

I wouldn’t be telling insurance companies ANYTHING that can’t be proven or bite me on the arse. This may be frowned upon by people who are fond of following rules, but I have been inconvenienced and ripped off unfairly by these rob dogs of dubious morality on one too many occasions. Plausible deniability it is.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s true, they still expect you to tell them. It’s so they can put your premium up for parking in an area frequented by thieves.[/quote]

They do expect you to tell them yes, that’s what I said.

But “glass only” claims don’t increase premiums. If it was a “theft from” claim including glass, then it would obviously.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If its a pivoting quarter window might not be too hard to replace.

If the OP is driving a Triumph Herald that will be invaluable advice.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I shattered a rear side window on my car after a stone went flying whilst mowing. Claimed on the car ‘windscreen’ insurance. No rise in premium. Simple.

stevextc
    Free Member

If the OP is driving a Triumph Herald that will be invaluable advice.

My last car was a Peugeot 306 , 3 door. The back windows pivot, no in the old Herald or VW Beetle type way but in a way that would make them easy to replace.

The main issue I’d see is the rubber/plastic sealed ones as you’d need a new seal and these look like a real pain to get back in without practice/tools…

I’ve got a problem on my present car where the seals holding the windscreen are damaged (due to a bike rack and height restriction bar accident)and the damned thing won’t seat back easily….

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m not sure how someone can definitively claim it won’t affect insurance premiums. It might not with your current provider but it would just get declared as a claim if switching provider so would count against you. Sure you might be able to call them and provide further details and they may take that into account but that’s a hassle factor in itself.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The majority of insurers don’t ask about ‘windscreen’ claims nor do most of the others inflate premiums because of it.

I’d not worry about it, I’ve claimed several times over the years through different insurers and not once has it ever effected my premiums in anyway (yes I do quotes with and without to check).

jaylittle
    Free Member

Had my passenger window done a few years ago, just sucked it up and paid myself as i really didn’t think it was worth going through the insurance company.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘car broken into, nothing stolen, claim for smashed window?’ is closed to new replies.