Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car brakes expert advice needed please
  • mudglutten
    Free Member

Ford Ka
    Driver's side front brake is dragging – can turn wheel by hand but not spin it. Caliper float seems to be as unrestricted as passenger side – easy to push back with a suitable lever. But, after 4 miles of driving drivers side disk is crazy hot and stinks of burning pads, whilst passenger side is merely warm. Disks both run true and there is no modulation on the dragging brake.

I'm thinking master cylinder seals or caliper seals perhaps, but having just replaced disks and pads (the old disk had distorted with the heat generation), I'd like to replace only the faulty item.

Any ideas please?

parkesie
    Free Member

Strip and lube up the sliders on the calliper and check the piston for corrosion. Then give the brakes a good bleed.

andydicko
    Free Member

Pads sticking in the caliper, remove pads, clean & grease everything

sundaywobbler

What andydicko says ^^^^

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Bit of a hi-jack.

I changed discs and pads on my fiesta a couple of days ago and managed to put a small tear at the base of one of the rubber piston gaiter/boot on a front caliper.

it's only about 3mm by 5mm, should I have this changed or will it not cause too much grief??

Burls72
    Free Member

whats been said above but also check where the pad slides on the caliper. If corrosion has built up on the caliper or the pattern pads aren't 100% your pad might not be returning properly.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Yeah, change it or the water & road salt will be in there rusting everything up. Doesn't cost much for a new seal kit.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Could possible be a faulty flexi hose restricting fluid flow. Had you had any work done before it happened? where someone has clamped the hose? KA's are a bit prone to sticking calipers though.

mudglutten
    Free Member

Thanks all. I'm assuming that where the pads sit in the caliper should just be de-gunged – no grease, even copper grease? Comments?

Thanks again.

mickasaki
    Free Member

probably a lot of baked on cack on the pad carriers, light tappin with a small hammer cracks it off, then scrape the rest. The pads should be able to move freely in the carrier afterwards. small amount of copperslip where the pads contact the carrier is good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car brakes expert advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.