Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Car brake pad life
  • failedengineer

Just changed the front pads in my ’13 Freelander at 113,000 miles, Quite impressive, I thought. I seem to recall Guy Martin ‘trying’ to get to 100,000 on his Transit pads recently.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string?
    113,000 is pretty impressive. You’ve done a LOT of miles in 3 years!

failedengineer

Thanks. I reckon I could have got a couple of thousand more, too.

It’s 3 years and 3 months, actually. It works hard for it’s living, that’s for sure. Just thinking about a replacement now.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I assume it is mainly motorway miles at 37,000 miles plus per year so not really having a hard life hence why your still on the same brake pads. Compare to a car doing urban driving with similar miles and that will be evident of having worked hard.

failedengineer

Well, a lot of motorways, but also a lot of towing 1 ton trailers around, including town work.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends on the driving really.
    I’ve managed to get through a set in <10k miles of ‘spritied’ driving on country back roads

stumpy01

Yep, depends on the driving. Mine sound similar to yours…..not had to change them on the current car, but for front discs/pads on the previous car it was 119k miles for the first set & I think the second set were at 243k miles, but most of my miles are fast A-road or (M) rated A-road & I make a real point of observation & staying off the brakes.

Problem I had was that the rears corroded, so while the fronts were OK, the rears needed replacing in about half that time, even though there was decent life left on the disc/pad.

P-Jay
    Free Member

all discs and pads on mine at 30k miles – but I do love a late brake.

gonzy
    Free Member

bought our c-max 3 years ago with 16k on the clock. just had the pads replaced last month with the mileage just over 50k.
    we do a lot of urban driving during the week (stop, go, stop, go, stop, go) especially when doing the school run…the school is at the bottom of a steep hill which is always busy so the brakes get a good workout every morning there
    motorway driving is only done during the weekend

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I tend to get through fronts in about 15k.

irc

Still on original pads front and rear on my Octavia at 44k and almost 4 years old.

Sui
    Free Member

fronts will generally last longer than rears, especially those cars with traction control type systems as they use braking for it (constantly chatting away at the disks, especially big rear wheel drive cars). My 5 series touring is about to have its first pad change at 58000 miles on the rear, the front is still showing considerably more. off to the Indie for that one, not paying dealer price..

jimdubleyou

Just had front & rear done on our Kuga – 33k, nearly four years.

Pretty even split between Mrs Dubs driving to school each day & long trips up the motorway.

orangewinger
    Free Member

Golf GTI mk5, 70,000 miles and nearly ten years old and still on the original pads front and rear.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

fronts will generally last longer than rears, especially those cars with traction control type systems as they use braking for it (constantly chatting away at the disks, especially big rear wheel drive cars)

Sorry that’s utter rubbish. Brake distribution is always to the front, and physics makes that happen too.

Fronts always wear before rears unless your brake bias is set wrong, and if its set wrong you tend to end up going backwards at some point.

hammyuk
    Free Member

On every car I’ve ever had the fronts go before the rear.
    Current ones are roughly 3500 miles to go on front with 14k on the rear – thats a 350bhp rear wheel drive, front engine with a 50/50 weight distribution.

gonzy
    Free Member

thats a 350bhp rear wheel drive, front engine with a 50/50 weight distribution.

M3?

Sorry that’s utter rubbish. Brake distribution is always to the front, and physics makes that happen too.

i agree.
    my front ones were nearly down to the metal and the rear only had about 2mm left…this is on a 6 year old car with 50k
    doesnt matter whether its front or rear wheel drive…fronts will always wear out quicker.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Upto 89k in the C-max, the rears were replaced when I bought it at 33k 6 years ago and the first 3 MOT’s advised that the front disks and pads needed replacing, oddly they’ve stopped saying that now, maybe at >10 years old they just assume it’s bangernomics and I’m not going to throw money at their ridiculous advisory lists.

timc
    Free Member

Just done fronts on 28k

orangeboy
    Free Member

Fronts on our c2 roughly every 25-30 rears are still ok at 82k

hammyuk
    Free Member

M-Lite Gonzy with JB4 😉

PePPeR

I’ve managed 90,000 out of my Citroen Relay pads, and the rear tyres still have 4mm of tread left on them after 115,000 miles In just less than three years.

It runs at full weight 3.5t every day too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fronts on my wee pug go at30k without fail . – always have since ive had it from 30k.

Fronts need disks at that point too. They are way under sized for the load the vehicle can and does often carry,

Rears are at 120k…..

Where as my landy has big dirty 4 pots on that will turn you inside out after a fresh rebuild so you hardly use them.

failedengineer

I forgot to say, although I got 113,000 from the fronts, the rears were replaced at 80,000. I put that down to the amount of towing I do, putting more weight on the rear.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Car brake pad life’ is closed to new replies.