Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Car advice/poll?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is this about Mazda DPFs?????? Tell me please.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are they the same engines as Ford? Ford need the additive, and it seems that many people forget or don’t know about it.. although some are saying it’s only got a lifetime of 70k miles anyway which seems terrible.

Oh.. hehe.. MF just pushed the button on one 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Mrs rkk01 is looking at an Abarth 500. I know that will be an absolute hoot!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No I haven’t! My wife already has one though! (Mazda 3 Sport).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Diesel Particulate Filter?

molgrips
    Free Member

DPFs are on diesels, your 3 is petrol isn’t it?

They filter the smoke, which is a good thing. The problem is with how they are cleaned out. There are two kinds (on cars). The VW kind and I think maybe Peugot etc are cleaned off by the engine increasing the exhaust gas temperature by various means; the Ford kind are cleaned out by means of a chemical that you have to add, and I suspect some people forget to do. The more long motorway or fast trips you do, the less it needs to clean it out by these other means because the hot exhaust gas will burn it all off anyway.

If you only tootle round town (on a VW at least) the filter gets a bit blocked up and a light comes on. The manual tells you that when the light comes on you have to go and drive for 30 minutes at over 3krpm or something, but of course a good sound thrashing of any kind will have the same effect. I also suspect some people ignore the light..

Some people are saying Ford ones always need replacing after 70k miles at a cost of £700, I find this hard to believe….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes the 3 is petrol. Will probably be getting a diesel next though so interested in knowing about this fault.

br
    Free Member

My partner has the option of leasing a car through her work

Just cos she can, doesn’t mean she should.

She needs to do the sums and decide whether she wants to pay for a new car vs s/h car and (probably lots of) spare cash.

Inbred456
    Free Member

No dpf on the 1.8 Tdci which is the ford engine. I would go for a Honda Jazz 1.4 petrol. Great little/big cars!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Car advice/poll?’ is closed to new replies.