Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Car Advice –Work Related Help Needed
  • letmetalktomark

I currently have no need to access a car for work.

This is something that may very well change in the near future.

We currently have a 2007 plate Honda Civic diesel as our only car – 40k on the clock.

It is likely that the work requirement will be a minimum of 300 miles a week up to 500 miles.

It is expected that 60% of the fuel cost will need to come from me as it will be a commute rather than business miles.

Now do I take the hit and use our Civic and just put up with the high(ish) costs to maintain it or look to buy a cheaper car?

I get 56MPG on a consistent basis but the running costs are I guess going to be higher than a Citreon C1* for example.

A low mileage C1* can be picked up for about £4k around these parts.

Do I look to go even cheaper into banger territory?

Sadly a lease scheme or similar isn’t available 🙁

Any help and or thoughts would be much appreciated.

* Only used as an example of a car I know to be reliable and economical

trail_rat
    Free Member

the honda will outlast the c1 in terms of build quality esp once the miles start piling on

look after it it will look after you.

a c1 will not be economic when your ringing the neck off it to get it to keep up with traffic.

running 1 good car and changing it when needs be is cheaper than running 2 just to save the civic for best …..

and 56mpg is a good MPG tbh – at a complete guess youd need to double the mpg to make it worth while selling up and moving on – better the devil you know n all that – can always reevaluate the needs when the hondas needing replaced.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Car Advice –Work Related Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.