Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Captain Mainwairing's Awesome Aberfeldy Ride
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

After couple of false starts the much postponed Captain Mainwairing’s Aberfeldy ride lived up to its billing and so much more.

Trails that had been under snow nearly all winter were clear and the sun shone. The Captain put together a great loop with remote Land Rover tracks and some great singletrack with a fabulous descent which ended a lawn’s width from the car, parked in the pub car park.

Schwalbe may need to rethink their tyre sidewall durabilty.

Househusband may need to change his user name to Theguywhosechainsnappedonstaurtiecsclovaride as noone knows him by the former.

Aberfeldy is only an hour and a bit from the Forth Road Bridge, I for one will be heading back.

Thanks to the Captain for his patience and belief that the snow would melt and for some great guiding.

Murr
    Free Member

sure was a good hurl peter a great day out and the duncans ipa was ace just need to join it with the loop on the other side o the hill as well big thanks to everybody for a great day.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bugger! Missed it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie apologies, you’d have loved the last descent and talk of impertinent wines in the pub. We’ll go back I’m certain.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

No worries McM. Had a lovely 70 miles on the road bike. Not sure I’ve got any MTB skillz left these days…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What was the route?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d need to show you the secret ones on the map then kill you. It’s that good. Some of the trails arent marked and IIRC the Captain said we had the permission of the landowner. Might be contact him directly.

How are planz for the Fife sportif recce?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Planz no further advanced (been writing **** essays).

I’ll get it together this week sometime and post on here.

leffeboy

Supreme bodging going on there MC. I’m off to beat myself up for farting around the house rather than being out riding.

househusband

Could email you the route as a gpx file, stuartie_c?

Was indeed a grand day out – a good route with accompanying weather and company in equal measure.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That’d be good HH – cheers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Supreme bodging going on there MC.

It was an Apollo 13 stylee repair. All we had was a bandage, a foot of duct tape, and a handfull of zip ties to repair an eight inch section of shredded sidewall.

Theguywhosechainsnappedonstaurtiecsclovaride has a video of it he’s threatening to post on You ya Tube unless Schwalbe promise to compensate the rider with a replacement.

Kit
    Free Member

Where did househusband fall off then? (I know you didn’t say that he actually had, but he always does… 😉 )

househusband

Kit; I didn’t on this ride.

McMoonter was referring to a ride a few years ago…

bruneep

the Captain said we had the permission of the landowner

Why did you NEED permission?

Steve_B

Andy – I would be keen to see what is in the area – email is in profile. Alison (who you met at Clova Hotel when you had to bail) is going up to this area shortly and looking for some new ideas.

Did see chatter about this ride but stuck to a route around Menteith Hills with SBC yesterday

Thanks

Steve

mcmoonter
    Free Member

bruneep

I think the main issue is the guys built a trail down through the forest and it comes out onto someones back garden. Having hundreds of riders skidding across their lawn wouldnt be too responsible.

Kit
    Free Member

Kit; I didn’t on this ride.

😯 First time for everything I suppose 😉

Did you apply for the St. George’s job?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

MC thanks for organising the posse and posting up the pics. Twas certainly a cracking day out with great company and excellent conditions.

Will definitely do a repeat run, and if anybody is coming up this way and wants a spin just ping me a mail (in profile) as I’m always up for a ride.

We could also do a future extended version taking in the Fortingall loop which is a real belter. For an extra 10/15 mins road ride it would give an extra 2 hours plus of offroad with an extra 500m climb.

As to the landowner permission thing, we didn’t actually use that bit on this ride. The reason for getting his permission is because it’s not just access – I’ve actually done a bit of track building in his woods, and it does come down right at the back of one of his holiday rental cottages.

sgtlawson
    Free Member

Big thanks to the Captain from the local ‘home ground’ crew from sgtlawson and Neil ‘Private’ Fraser. Classic ride and good company. For those with a midweek pass we meet on a Thursday at the ‘Chraggs’ the home of good beer and banter.

househusband

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJxcgCUEbmY[/video]

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Genuine 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Captain Mainwairing's Awesome Aberfeldy Ride’ is closed to new replies.