Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Captain Control v. Advantage v. Cortez v. Crossmark
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I'm looking for new tyres for XC use around Nottingham (clay-y sandy soil) and for bigger days in the Peaks, Lakes and Wales. Wanting something that will roll quite fast but still be pretty reliable on rocks.

Can't afford my current setup of Racing Ralphs on the back and Nobby Nics on the front anymore. What would people recommend?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Can't comment on the others but so far, my Crossmark on the rear (High Roller front) is working excellent in the snow/mud/stone of Calderdale.

poppa
    Free Member

Roll fast = hard compound
    Grip on wet rocks = soft compound

non?

thefallguy
    Free Member

Had some captains which are a good tyre for Sherwood Pines but I much prefer the Specialized Purgatorys that I replaced them with, slightly softer, more grippy, larger volume, slightly heavier, not noticably slower rolling – still great around the woods but much better suited to the peaks than. Best bit is the LBS in Retford will do 2 for £40 🙂

think spesh tyres are dual compound too

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mate switched from XCpros to Captains and is pleased with them. I'm still addicted to 2.1 Advantages as an all rounder.

swoosh
    Free Member

OK so thats one vote for each apart from the Kenda Cortez, plus one for the Spesh Purgatorys. Anymore for anymore?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I've used S-Works Captain 2.0's on my xc bike for the last 2 springs / summers, aswell as Captain 2.2's on my 6inch travel FS, local riding being the Chilterns and am really impressed. The Captain 2.2's have been particularly good for Cymcarn / Afan visits aswell.

BigR

I used the sworks 2.2 Captain until the sidewall ripped on a rock that had never bothered me before. I have to say up until then I was very pleased with them, good grip and rolled well. May look at the control version as I think it is stronger and only slightly heavier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Captain Control v. Advantage v. Cortez v. Crossmark’ is closed to new replies.