Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Caps under helmets
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Getting ready for winter riding and sorting through my clothing I unearthed an old roadie cap – which "back in the day" I wore on it's own – ah the eighties. Sooooo, who here wears one under their helmet? Anybody…………

simondbarnes

Yup

djglover
    Free Member

I find it difficult to wear it at a jaunty angle if I wear it under my helmet.

Smee
    Free Member

Yip. Great idea.

julianwilson
    Free Member

sometimes, yes.

nostoc
    Free Member

I like headbands that cover forehead and ears.

seb
    Free Member

+1 for headbands and Buffs.
    I actually prefer a Buff as I can choose, depending on the temperature, if I want one layer, 2 layers, cover my ears or not…

giant_scum
    Free Member

In these safety conscious times the only way to wear one is under the helmet, also gets rid of the need for a skip on your helmet!

It would have to be about -10 before I could even contemplate wearing anything other than a vented helmet on my sweaty heed.

xcstu
    Free Member

why? thats what helmet peaks are for?

simondbarnes

xcstu – Member

why? thats what helmet peaks are for?

Helmet peaks don't keep your head warm
    Helmet peaks obscure vision when on drop bars

GavinB

Sorry, just no.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Going to a trail center tomorrow – think I'll wear one, just for devilment.

miketually
    Free Member

I do. And on their own.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Looking good simon.

I now have my Las Vegas Instite of Sport cap so I shall be wearing it this winter under my helmet in place of the usual headband.

juan
    Free Member

cap under helmet is the rad to the power of sick

For raodies 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have hair instead

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

juan – Member
    cap under helmet is the rad to the power of sick

Stops loads of shite/spray getting in your eyes and v warm even when wet, i was not convinced but they are very functional. Also good to wear when on the MTB when your burning past all the body armoured up weekend warriors on the hardest downhill section 😀

juan
    Free Member

Stops loads of shite/spray getting in your eyes

You mean like a helmet visor?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

juan – Member

Stops loads of shite/spray getting in your eyes

You mean like a helmet visor?

No just tilt your head forward a little and the peak on the cap protects your eyes 🙄

GavinB

No just tilt your head forward a little and the peak on the cap protects your eyes

Have you not heard of these amazing things called sunglasses/sunnies/shades or goggles when the mood suits? Those seem to work better than a peaked cap for keeping the mud out of my eyes.

sv

As already stated the buff is perfect for many winter rides.

rolfharris
    Free Member

How little effort are you putting in if you need a hat as well as a helmet?

These caps are the easiest way to look like a fanny.

sockpuppet

Have you not heard of these amazing things called sunglasses/sunnies/shades or goggles when the mood suits? Those seem to work better than a peaked cap for keeping the mud out of my eyes.

when it's really muddy glasses are worse than useless. then they steam up.

ojom
    Free Member

I might give this cap thing a go under my new Stradivarius on a mtn bike ride just for full wind up effect.

westkipper
    Free Member

I wear a cotton cap in a backwards stylee in summer-stops the back of the neck getting burned (remember sunburn anyone?)
    Winter- I wear a woolie beanie.

oldgit
    Free Member

Looks cool but I find wearing one under my lid a bit uncomfy.
    I go for a cheaper less well ventalated lid for winter, I'm also blessed with eyelids to keep the muck out.

Seeing a Brooklyn/Colnago/Rapha/Clement peak sticking out just screams….well it just screams of coughossercough.

marty
    Free Member

Fer shure.

Cap when it's cool. Buff when it's cold. Woolly hat when it's freezing.

if anyone fancies a stylish Scottish Cyclocross cap, then see the SCX shop for details.

Bon!

woodsman
    Free Member

I have seen it, it does look a bit 'gee – aye – why' IMO! 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

i wear one of those stupid thermal cap things in the winter. ALthough may try my piss pot thhis year, as ive lost the cap…

Those roadie caps look bloody stupid.

samuri
    Free Member

No just tilt your head forward a little and the peak on the cap protects your eyes

So like a helmet visor then. I figured as much. Each to their own and all, makes no difference if it's a cap or a visor but don't start trying to say one is better than the other. They go in pretty much the same place and do pretty much the same job. If my head's cold I'll wear a buff or roadie skull cap. That way I still get eye protection if my head's cold or not.

gingerflash

On the mountain bike, buff under the helmet.

On the road/cross bike, little gay roadie cap, back to front normally, right way round if rainy.

Both make the helmet a bit more comfy – I have very little hair – no 1 all over. In the summer, they prevent sunburn. In the winter they keep the wind off. When it's rainy, the peak keeps the rain out of the eyes when glasses would probably steam up.

samuri
    Free Member

You slaphead. Us lucky ones like me who have a dense thatch of hair on our heads don't have any of these sunburn or cold problems. No.

/Runs hand through a pelt of a headset.

gingerflash

I could have hair if I so chose – it's all shaved off.

MrSmith
    Free Member

caps are great on the road bike. wick sweat away and keep head cool in the summer and keep head warm in winter. i flip the peak down if riding into the sun (even with glasses).
    i mainly wear rapha ones, i find these work best at winding up non cap wearers and northerners

use a buff on the mtb though

gingerflash

Northerner – cap wearer. Real cotton caps though. None of your poncey rapha nonsense.

MrSmith
    Free Member

they are cotton.
    just posh Made in Italy from Schoeller 3XDry cotton

grantway
    Free Member

You tried the Dutch cap !
    Has no peak 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nope for me when its cold and/or wet the p1ss pot comes out and gets worn with goggles if wet and nothing if dry. I find it keeps my short haird bonce quite warm but not too hot.

aP
    Free Member

Yes. Being one of those blessed with appalling eyesight a cap means that in cold or damp weather I get to see where I'm going for longer. Also when riding in big country in warm weather a cap is good worn on it's own on climbs.
    I currently favour a weekly rotation of assos and rapha caps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Caps under helmets’ is closed to new replies.