Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Capra owners – do they actually climb/pedal?
  • jim25

Looking around at different options for a new bike in a few months(ish) According to all the reviews you would be a fool to not buy a capra! But I can’t get my head around how with 170mm travel it can really be ok for all day rides?
    Have tested the top spec Jekyll and trying to get to one of the Whyte demos to try the new G150, also interested in the new Commencal v4, but again very difficult to find demos on them.

So from actual real life Capra owners, what are they like?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Mate has recently taken delivery of a Capra pro. it replaces a spicy 516. He reckons it climbs just as well. It felt very slack when I had a whizz about.

aroche
    Free Member

Interested in this also, less so about actually climbing though, and more about flatter, not so steep single track. I suppose I’d be comparing to an aggressive trail bike. I’ve no doubt it shreds on steeper stuff but interested in how nimble it is and how well it accelerates. I’m seeing real world weights around 30lbs. I’m guessing there is still scope to lose some weight, -lighter tubeless tyres etc.

andymc06
    Free Member

Had a go on a mates Pro. Extremely slack and plush. Climbed very well. Seemed to stiffen when you start pointing uphill. Very impressive.

jim25

Aroche, thats exactly what I mean really. I’m not looking for all out xc climbing rocket. Just something that will pedal effiecntly enough to not get so knackered when you arrive at the good bits!
    I like the idea of a lighty bike/overall package and was really enjoyed riding the new Jekyll, but thats just too much money.
    The Capra,Jekyll, V4 and the new Bird all have very similar geometries and frame sizing. The Capra has the most travel out of all of tehm and i’m wandering if that would be a negative when compare to the others.

aroche
    Free Member

I actually have a canyon spectral cf 9 ex on order (February so I’m not ruling out cancelling if there are delays etc.), which is something like a slightly shorter travel and lighter capra, but even better specced and built aggressive in.It would probably suit the trails we have over here in Ireland better, which tend to be technical and suit something that accellerates well.

Still very torn with the idea of the capra, if I thought it would pedal nearly as well I would probably go for it
    – ah well, first world problems I guess…

donkers
    Free Member

I’ve got the comp (green one) and very happy with climbing, a lot of the time I’ll leave the monarch open-especially for techy climbs as it grips great. On long drags I’ll flick it into trail mode. Use this setting as well on the flatter smoother trails (think hamsterley transmission/gt spooky wood?) but even when fully open it responds well when you stamp on the pedals
    Don’t have a problem with a wandering front end/160 forks/short stem but most bikes I’ve had have been slack

mega
    Free Member

I’ve literally just got back from my 2nd proper ride on my Capra Comp and was going to start a thread about this bike. I’ll try and give you my impression of it so far. Bear in mind I’m buzzing and in new bike honeymoon period…..

Climbing.
    Coming from a stumpjumper 26 with brain shock I can definitely feel more pedal induced bob when the monarch+ Is in middle / trail mode. In firmest setting the pedal platform just about matches the excellent brain shock. The single chain ring is 32 tooth which is ok for me to get up most things I feel like riding up. Stops me being lazy too – on my stumpy I would just reach for smaller chainring and largest sprocket and spin away slowly. The bike does drag up climbs though. The 2.4 tires are huge and you can feel them dragging. If my stumpy was 8/10 for climbing I’d put Capra at 6/10. With some more sensible tires perhaps a 7/10.

Handling.
    Simply brilliant. I have been drifting the bike about like ive known it for years. It’s utterly predictable when the tires do let go and they seem to go together. I actually whooped with joy on a few linked corners and I’m a miserable serious bugger normally. The trail well and truly came alive.

Downhill.
    WNever experienced anything like it. I’m more confident and faster on this than on my full on DH bike. Admittedly this is not on full on DH tracks but it is very very fast. And to me fast is fun. I made 4 strava PRs on trails I’ve ridden for years today. With a big smile at the bottom of every hill. I’m going to get the missus to make me a little crown and rub my feet while I’m bask in the awesomeness.

Jumping / dropping
    Good. I did 3 drops that I’ve been eyeing up for a good while but not had the confidence to try before. Jumps that were scary before now get a little tweak in the air and are more fun.

Customer service
    Yt have been brill. I had a couple of problems with broken bits (reverb etc) but they handled everything very smoothly and quickly.

Other stuff
    Didn’t notice any difference with 650b wheels. I will probably do all the spannering on it myself. Doesn’t seem right to use LBS for this bike. I do feel bad for buying direct and not from LBS. The stumpy is going and will be replaced with a 29 hard tail from LBS to hopefully restore some karma.

If I were to sum it up I’d say confidence inspiring and fast downhill.

Sorry if this sounds a bit gushing but I’m really happy with it. Hope it helps.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I really fancy one but I can’t afford it.
    Thanks for that review, it cheered me up no end.
    I was secretly hoping they’d be rubbish.

aroche
    Free Member

How about pedally singletrack?
    Does it feel like an “AM Bike” (heavyish but touch of a battering ram) or closer to a trail bike in terms of nimbleness?

donkers
    Free Member

To echo what mega says when you point it downwards. It is very, very good. So much so that I got rid of my dh bike soon after 😆

grubbish
    Free Member

I came from a 2009 specialized enduro and in my opinion it climbs better, you do have to get right over the front on really steep climbs but apart from that it climbs very well I am happy to pedal it about all day. Too much bike for XC stuff? yes but if you do some downhill and trips to the Alps or maybe some Gravity enduro races then it’s spot on. Basically it’s a downhill bike that you can pedal all day. I have the Pro and the handling and suspension are second to none, the only one downside I’ve noticed is that I’m getting a lot more pedl strikes as the bb is low but I just need to get used to it. I’ve had mine 3 weeks and it is the best bike I’ve ever owned but it won’t suit all. It just depends what kind of riding you do and what you want from a bike, for me it’s perfect.

grubbish
    Free Member

I came from a 2009 specialized enduro and in my opinion it climbs better, you do have to get right over the front on really steep climbs but apart from that it climbs very well I am happy to pedal it about all day. Too much bike for XC stuff? yes but if you do some downhill and trips to the Alps or maybe some Gravity enduro races then it’s spot on. Basically it’s a downhill bike that you can pedal all day. I have the Pro and the handling and suspension are second to none, the only one downside I’ve noticed is that I’m getting a lot more pedl strikes as the bb is low but I just need to get used to it. I’ve had mine 3 weeks and it is the best bike I’ve ever owned but it won’t suit all. It just depends what kind of riding you do and what you want from a bike, for me it’s perfect.

jonnogroats
    Free Member

On the verge of hitting the “order” (Capra CF Comp 2) but then had second thoughts… I’ve heard a lot of reviews saying you can pedal all day, but honestly, people who have ridden them, would it be a drag doing so? I’m thinking 40-50km all day rides such as w2 at Afan, I also enjoy many tame rides such as blue route at Forest of Dean, but with a few DH excursions every ‘now and then’. Is this bike too much for me?
    Thanks

deviant
    Free Member

Johnogroats….perhaps try something with a little less travel at the back for your needs, something a little less sledgehammer like.

I reckon Nukeproof Mega TR, Giant Trance, Yeti 575 etc etc….all will take a beefy fork up front but have between 125-140 out back and behave a little less like mini-DH bikes.

As good as the Capra is you should buy the bike suitable for your riding and not get caught up in the Enduro hype at the moment.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If the bulk of my riding was trail centres with the odd DH trip, then yes, a 170mm bike isn’t going to be much fun.

Buy a bike for the majority of riding you do, not a bike for the riding you occasionally want to do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Capra owners – do they actually climb/pedal?’ is closed to new replies.