Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Capra front pivot suss linkage/bearing – how to remove spacer and bearing?
  • bgascoyne
    Free Member

time for a over haul during winter….got to the front linkage (the angular bearings in the black plastic thing). There is 19mm hex headed spacer on both sides – how does this come out? Are both sides threaded into each other or do you need to drift each end out? Don’t want to try the wrong thing! I guess for the bearings you need a blind puller??

Cheers

colp

From memory they just come out, no tapping out required.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Both sides are threaded into a centre tube so you need to stop this from turning and then you can unscrew the hex. Can use either the expanding bolt thing from a blind bearing pulley or an expanding anchor fixing to hold.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

i noticed the 19mm blots were connected to each other. If one spun so did the other…I have one end out but the other is still threaded in the spacer but the spacer is to wide come out of bearing…no idea how to get that out!

bgascoyne
    Free Member

thanks gav – just saw your post after I posted the extra info. What a pain….will have to buy a new tool.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

What about removing the bearing – was looking at the expanding bolt way but not sure what sized anchor bolt to order. I.D is 15mm on the bearing – I’m guessing a 14mm bolt or maybe 13? Anyone done this way before, if so, what did you use?

Thanks

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

You just remove one side nut knock out the other side including the captiv sleeve/bearing and nut complete (you can separate them when they are out)then you can tap out the remaining bearing on other side.
    Reinstalling them is easy with a simple bench vice-be aware these ones are angular contact bearings so are colour coded and directional dependant .
    Be careful also to use plenty of loctite on threads on re assembly and re tension them correctly and then don’t ride the bike until ‘set’ and holding firmly.
    Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Capra front pivot suss linkage/bearing – how to remove spacer and bearing?’ is closed to new replies.