Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Capra and Tues owners with TRS+ cranks
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

These cranks seem impossible to get off – especially as YT don’t supply the special crank extractor tool that is supposed to come with them (and no-one in the UK stocks them!). I can see this being a massive problem for any YT or Tues owners when it comes time to change a worn BB or chainring (or to fit a bash guard like me).

When I contacted YT they seemed to think that you can use one of these: http://pedros.com/products/tools/pedal-crank-and-bottom-bracket/universal-crank-remover-with-handle/ which quite frankly is a load of tosh.

The problem is that the outer thread which the tool pulls/pushes against is too narrow (ie. you cant get enough purchase) and it starts to pull the thread out. I also think that YT have installed the cranks without any grease, as even when we created a similar tool, they wouldn’t budge. The removal instructions are here for anyone who may be interested: https://ytmedia.azureedge.net/pdf/manuals2016/capra-cf-pro/e_thirteen_trs_crankset-manual.pdf

The only way I can see to get these off is to cut them off. I’m severely pissed off about it, and I suspect a few others will be when the time comes. I’ve complained to YT (why supply a bike with these cranks knowing you can’t get hold of the tool to remove them). I await their response…

wagenwheel

Same as these?

link

mulv1976
    Free Member

Unfortunately not.

benpinnick

Dumb question probably but there’s not a washer left in there hidden under some grease is there? Ive accidentally toased a crank before when using a crank puller (after a self extrator failed to extract) only to find the reason the puller ripped the threads out was because of a thin washer was hidden under some crap in there….

mulv1976
    Free Member

Sadly not, no. There’s a lip that the crank bolt sits on to pull the crank arm on but it seems to limit the outer thread to two or three turns only. It definitely seems like the thread is too shallow, but can’t see any way it could be any deeper?! I’m stumped what else to do. They are nice cranks, but why design them this way? Why not just use the self extracting ones? I think if I’d known what a ball-ache it would be, I’d have ordered a strive instead 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Interested as I am awaiting delivery of a Tues…

bedmaker

Is this the shite E13 carbon jobs? Not YT, but they came on My canyon dude. Expect the bb to last a fortnight or so and the cranks to break off the alloy axle a week later. To be fair, the extractor tool actually worked on. I had to hassle them for the tool though. Try silverfish for one too. middleburn cranks on now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is E13 the new crank bros?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Silverfish don’t stock the tool and recommended a standard extractor which of course didn’t work. They are aluminium not carbon

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Mulv – We have a new tool due in any day for these cranks as initially we were led to believe a standard crank puller would work.
    On trying it, as it sounds like you have too, we discovered that wasnt the case.

If you fire me a mail I’ll bring you up top speed.

richie @ silverfish – uk . com (remove ALL the spaces)

mulv1976
    Free Member

Cheers – have emailed you.

montyh
    Free Member

Got exactly the same problem with my Commencal, I was told end of this month for the tool from silverfish.
    I hope they get plenty in stock!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Big thanks to Richie at silverfish for getting me one of the tools. I’ll try it later and see if it works!

buckster
    Free Member

Got exactly the same problem with my Commencal, I was told end of this month for the tool from silverfish.
    I hope they get plenty in stock!

TRS or the ‘own brand’ Ride Alpha jobby

mulv1976
    Free Member

Tool hasn’t worked 🙁 cranks appear seized on, or the threads are knackered from previous attempts. Why YT doesn’t supply this tool with the bike is beyond me…

montyh
    Free Member

TRS on the Commencal.

I was emailed yesterday from Silverfish, they have said 22nd July before the correct tool will be available.

I need a new bottom bracket for it as well that only lasted 300km round the Purbecks.
    The Bb was out of stock according to my local bike shop.

I will probably change it all to XT if I can ever get it removed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tool hasn’t worked cranks appear seized on, or the threads are knackered from previous attempts. Why YT doesn’t supply this tool with the bike is beyond me…

Shit situation, but I’d say the blame lies at E13s door, more than YT. I can’t recall ever having specific tools supplied with a bike, certainly never a crank extractor.

YT sent a pin spanner with my Capra, I’ve still not worked out what it’s for!.

sparkyrhino

Pin spanner may be for the excellent e13 wheelset if it thats what it came with

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, came with DT Swiss wheels. I wouldn’t have ordered it had it came with E13.

pacerc100
    Free Member

“I can’t recall ever having specific tools supplied with a bike, certainly never a crank extractor”

Not that it helps but Specialized supply the socket to adjust/remove their s-works cranks with full bikes, well mine did anyway. I would kind of expect that when item specific tools are required.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s maybe because they are spesh cranks? The cranks the OP is talking of are E13, not YT.

Next time I buy a bike with hope hubs, I’ll ask them to send a seat of bearing drifts, them spit the dummy when they tell me to not be so arsey.

Neb

I followed the instructions on thehive website, using the partool crank extractor and ripped the threads out… Bugger. I’ll keep using them till the BB wears out, then instead of spending £70 for a new BB, I’ll put my old SLX cranks back on.

mulv1976
    Free Member

The pin spanner is for the pivot bolt in the strut between the seat and down tubes.

It seems that the e13 cranks seizing on is a common problem. I know of a few people now with a Capra or Tues that have had the same problem. I don’t think having the correct tool would have made a difference. Its either an assembly issue or just a shit design.

Either way, I will have to wait until my BB wears out before I cut them off. YT want me to send the frame to their service department (in Germany). No thanks, its not worth the effort. I certainly wouldn;t buy another YT until they use different cranksets.

walks
    Free Member

Has anyone managed to get their crank off? I have the same issue, same cranks, special tool striped out threads, I have even tried a modified automotive gear pulley, will not budge. Bought a smaller chain ring but can’t fit it, not very happy with this crank design.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection!

I had these cranks on a different bike, thread stripped. But found a block of wood and knock with a hammer and they’d come off without issue.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Capra and Tues owners with TRS+ cranks’ is closed to new replies.