Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Canyon Strive Race, size advice for 6'3" rider
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

I’m fancying a Strive CF, ideally the race version which is about an inch longer than the standard, however they only go upto a large size, which is 460mm seat tube (18.1″) which would leave me needing the post well up, I’m currently riding a XL (20.5″) stumpy expert evo 29er, the strive however is longer than any bike I’ve owned.

The standard strive is available in a XL 490mm, top tube ends up similar in length to the large race frame, looks more sensible however I’m turned off by the spec as they are all 2×10 (race is 1×11) and also the headtube grows from 135 to 155, I hate a high front end as it makes the bike feel cumbersome. My Stumpy in XL suffers the same problem.

I suppose the only real difference in size between the L race an standard XL is 30mm in the seat tube, TT length is a only a couple of mm different between the two.

Does anyone a similar height ride one of these or anyone had a ride of one?
    Usual problem of not been able to see or demo one!
    Cheers

james239
    Free Member

Bit of a PITA, i know, but they do a 30 day return i believe, so you can sorta use that as a test ride.

I’ve no experience of the srrive, but had a couple of XL Nerve’s and, although a bit taller at 6 foot 5, definitely wouldnt go any smaller.

spektre
    Free Member

Hello Mark,

I’m 6,3 ft tall too and i had exactly the same questions than yours.

I already had a look at the meta V4 in XL size that looks interesting for us, tall riders, but when i saw the pics of an XL one, i’ve found it very ugly. Top tube is note aligned with the rear triangle (It’s nicely aligned on the M sized), damper is inclined downwardly, et seat tube is horribly long… My point of view is that this frame has not been well thought for Large sizes. S & M are really nice, L not too bad, but XL…

Look at this pic : http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/f3/17/1753/1753943-o5k1qjg3w0ae-image-original.jpg

I finally choose The strive CF 8 race in L size. The things that decided me are of course the geometry, and a test of vital MTB in which they says that L race is a good size for 6ft plus riders : http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Canyon/Strive-CF-9-0-Race,15045
    The two pilots of the test are also 6,3ft et 6,8ft tall ! And it seemed to be ok for them.

Th only disadvantage is that the seat post tube will be a bit high, but for me, all the rest of the bike, equipment included, is more than nice.

I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and i will receive it on week 14. I’ve just had a look at canyon’s website, and today, the availability of the L size is week 13 !!! So maybe i’ll get it in only 2 weeks !

Let me know what you finally choose, it’s not usual to have the advice of other very tall riders.

Cheers from France.

Nico.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive Race, size advice for 6'3" rider’ is closed to new replies.