Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canyon Specteral 29EX sizing
  • mimmiethecat
    Free Member

Have pretty much decided on getting the spectral 29ex. Has anyone got one or can give some advice on sizing.

I am 5.11′ tall with a 32 inside leg, the Canyon sizing tool puts me on a medium so far so good. I test rode a Whyte T130scr and T129scr both in a medium.

The T130 has pretty much the same length top tube as the Canyon in medium and felt far to small for me, the T129 felt good, maybe a touch small. The top tube is nearly the same length as the large Spectral on the T129.

I am guessing probably a large would be the way to go but concerned about the front end being to tall with 140mm travel with 29′ wheels if the frame is on the big side.

Any owners or has anyone tried the Spectral 29 with any feedback?

dvowles82
    Free Member

What bikes are you used to? What were you riding previously? I only ask, as the Medium in the Canyon (and Whyte T130) look fairly standard for the industry. i.e. neither long nor short in the toptube. So you’d expect them to fit up to around 5’10”.

However, as you say the T129 (SCR version anyway) has a very long toptube for it’s given size, compensated for with a tiny 40mm stem. If that fitted to your preference, then you may be better off with the Large canyon. Watch out for the seat tube length though. At 32″ leg, you’ll probably be at the limit of having enough clearance. Did you try out a T129S or T129works, how did they feel?? Both of them have a toptube of 596, i.e. very similar to the T130.

chakaping
    Free Member

What length stem does it come with?

I’d recommend running a 45mm or shorter on a 29er like that. Might negate the slightly longer TT on the large?

plyphon
    Free Member

Phone the UK Canyon guys, see what they suggest, order it, try it, if it’s too small/big – take advantage of the 30 day swap thing.

dvowles82
    Free Member

A lot comes down to personal preference as well.

Just look at Neil Donoghue and his Santa Cruz bikes (Nomad and Bronson). They are notoriously short in the top tube (584mm for a medium). He is about your height and rides a Medium Bronson and Nomad, with a 50mm stem. And he riiiips.

horridge
    Free Member

I have a Spectral 27.5 in medium. I had the same reservations about the sizing tool and e-mailed Canyon about this. They still suggested medium but I wish I would have gone with my gut and gone for large. Like you I have a 32″ inside leg and I’m a shade under 5’11”. To get the bike to feel good i’ve moved my seat as far back as possible and had to resort to being un-cool by fitting a longer stem.
    I know I could have swapped out but was too impatient. They will only take the bike back if it hasn’t been ridden.
    If I was ordering another I would definitely go with the large.

chris_db
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and a 31″ inside leg, I used the Canyon sizing tool and it said I needed a small. It seems to be unduly influenced by inside leg measurement!!

I got a large (it’s a while now – Nerve AM) and it fits me fine with enough standover.

C

euans2
    Free Member

I have just ordered a a 650b spectral (not a 29er i know) I spoke with Canyon and the chap I spoke to said he was 181cm tall and he rides a medium and finds it fine, not to cramped or stretched out. You also have to remember that this years Spectral is 2cm longer in the top tube over last years

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am 6ft and have a Large Spectral 29er (60mm stem BTW), I tried a Medium and it felt too cramped.

horridge
    Free Member

Good point on the longer tube. I have last years 650b and replaced the stem with one 20mm longer.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I’m 6’2.5″ and have the XL EX9.9. I swapped out the bars for normal Fatbars (not lites) which are wider. It’s a massive bike but fits me well.

It’s beautifully kitted out for the price. The ride reminds me of my old Stumpy FSR and in that respect I think it’s probably a typical 4 bar. Spongy climbing but a plush descender. You’ll find yourself reaching for the pro-pedal/CTD lever very frequently. I have the divey/linear Fox 34 which I’m strugglig a bit to get set up properly.

felltop

I have a Spectral 7.9, size L. I’m 6′, 34″ inside leg. Reach is fine, and the bars are not too high – I run 20mm spacers below them so you should have no problem with the bar height.

Great bike by the way!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Specteral 29EX sizing’ is closed to new replies.