Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AM
  • tomwoodbury

Hi there, new to the forum but have been gaining lots of useful info from here for some time… After some thoughts on whether to go for the reduced Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 now or wait for the 2013 version. I’ve read a lot about the new bike potentially having a slacker head angle which should improve the ride, however the spec on the new ones doesn’t look quite as good. Your thoughts?

athgray
    Free Member

I have a 2012 AM6. Really good bike. With the exchange rate being favourable at the minute the discounted bikes are a real bargain.

tomwoodbury

That’s what I’m thinking…. The AM6 looks like a ridiculously good deal. Less than £1200 for a bike I could only dream of 5 years ago. My current bike is a 2008 orange p7 so I think regardless of head angle I’m going to find it a lot more fun going down hills.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I have Nerve AM 6. Get it and buy a set of Burgtec offset shock bushings, slackens the bike a bit but effect is quite noticeable (or was to me anyway).

I am a complete mechanical idiot, so if I can install them, anyone can

athgray
    Free Member

mattjevans, do you know if that affects the warranty? I wouldn’t mind doing the same.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I meant to say its a great bike, only weak points are the brakes (avids which are just a bit hit and miss, some people find them fine, mine have needed several bleeds), and the fork being only an RL. I put a reverb on mine, took the large chainring off and put on the Canyon chainguide. After winter I will likely change the brakes and am thinking about doing the FIT damper cartridge when the fork needs a service. The rear shock althoughg only an RP2 seems to really work well with the suspension design.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Cant see why it would and even if it does, if anything goes wrong pull the Burgtec’s out and put the original shock hardware back in.

Alternatively check the other post on Works Components releasing a suitable headset apparently

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I’m with mattjevans, Burgtec bushings on mine and rides fantastic. Very easy to install.
    Mine’s the AM 7.0 (2012), I’ve changed a few bits and pieces but the kit that comes as standard is superb. My only gripe is the MT2 brakes which I’m not a huge fan of – a bit spongy even after numerous bleeds.
    I’d go for the reduced 2012 option and fit the bushings:

mattjevans
    Free Member

Same problem with my elixir 3’s. Guess i wont replace them with maguras then

Looks like you’ve gone 1×10 ? Did you use a BB mount chain guide or the ISCG adaptor plate

tizzzzle
    Free Member

ISCG adaptor. Although Canyon didn’t send me one with the bike so I kicked up a fuss and they agreed to give me one. After that it was all good

mattjevans
    Free Member

I put the canyon guide on, but i’ve got the adaptor plate as well. Did you have to grind granny tabs for clearance or was it all fine?

robhenry85
    Free Member

ive got an AM 8x and love it, come down a bit now 🙁 but i’m happy with what i payed

get a mech hanger (or two) when you buy the bike, i’m on my 3rd and postage is about £10 on top each time.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I had to grind the granny tabs. No going back!

Agree with robhenry85 about the mech hanger. Although you can order them on ebay for a bit cheaper

mattjevans
    Free Member

tomw sorry for the slight hijack above, but to sum up, buy the 2012 Nerve AM and get riding…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AM’ is closed to new replies.