Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • canyon mtb's neron and grand al
  • karnali
    Free Member

I’m toying with a new bike and canyon’s current reductions have caught my eye. I used to soley MTB but young family and changing interests have led to more road riding over recent years. I currently have a FF29er that is cobbled together and I use it for mixed rides. I’m toying with trying to get a slack set or similar for it and have some 10 speed bits to go on it I bought 2nd hand off here recently.

However the Canyon Neuron al6 at approx. 1100 with spare mech hanger and postage and the grand al 7.9 at approx. 930 with spare hanger etc have caught my eye.

Any oweners of either give me and idea of how these bikes are. I ride a mix of road bridle ways local hills and whinlatter as I live in north west Cumbria. I’ve mainly ridden hardtail as they feel less cumbersome on road sections but not sure if that’s just in the head.

I’m gaining much over th ff29er with the canyon hardtail, it currently has x fusion forks, slx brakes and will be slx xt mix 10 speed.

thoughts welcome

thanks

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi mate. Up until April I had one of these
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-al-slx-9-9-sl.html
    Swapped the bits over to a Cotic Solaris Max few months ago.
    The Canyon was very racey, lovely kit, wheels etc. But rode like a trail bike if it wanted to. A nice bike, but I wanted a steel hardtail. Like you I used the Canyon for lanes and bridleways. Took it to Whinlatter a fair few times too. It struggled on some of the uphill switchbacks on the North Red. But otherwise was great.
    Btw I am in Cockermouth if you ever fancy a ride out 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the neuron is a good bike for the money

i got a nerve alu 6.0 last summer, since the name changed my bikes spec is now the neuron 7.0 , i paid around £925 delivered, so prices have increased due to exchange rates. the main differences on the neuron 6.0 to my bike are wheels are no longer mavic and the fork is a recon silver, rather than Reba.

it has plenty of gearing (deore/XT, so solid), i quite like the simplicity of the rear shock (open or locked out/closed), and it can take on the majority of my riding. i dont notice pedal bounce on the rear suspension like i get with the bigger brother ‘Spectral’.
    i ride mainly cross country west yorkshire bridleway/offroad
    it climbs really well and descends well too. although i have damaged wheels on gnarley stuff like cutgate and around calderdale (probably due to picking badlines and having slimmer tyres)

13.2kg is a good weight.

if i’m looking for a longer ride its the bike i will choose, very comfortable for 50-70km (part road, mainly bridleway/byways etc)

aidso
    Free Member

I bought a Neuron 8.9 last week and rode it for the first time last night. I’ve bought it as a marathon bike that can take a kicking and so far it looks more than up to the job. I’ve come from a full carbon hard tail so the one major noticeable change for me is the increase in weight…but thats not a slur on the bike.
    I intend on doing a more formal review in a few weeks somewhere, as like yourself I could find frig all reviews for it…some for the Nerve which it replaces.

Early thoughts:
    1) The stock tyres (Conti Race Kings) dont agree with me – tubed at least. Gonna try them tubeless and then it’ll be back to the trusty Nobby Nics.
    2) I don’t jump – I suck – and from a history of XC racing, I have been able to tackle a lot of technical descents getting over the back of the saddle. Putting the dropper seat post down seems really foreign to me and makes the bike feel uneven. I’m sure ill get used to it but it could be another weight saving in addition to tubeless.
    3) Ive never been a fan of SLX brakes due to short levers, but these bite well, squeal like a banshee in the wet but do the job.

In most reviews the Neuron was fielded alongside the Spectral. The latter is better if you sway more toward Enduro/DH. Id pick the Neuron if XC is more your style.

cheers_drive

I have the Nerve 29er that proceeded the Neuron and until recently a Grand Canyon 29er. I sold the Grand as the Nerve does everything better for general xc and trail riding. All my fastest times were set on the Nerve. The Grand may be faster for racing on the right course but I found it tough over longer rides.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘canyon mtb's neron and grand al’ is closed to new replies.