Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Canyon Exceed – Any reasons not too?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

I quite fancy a carbon hardtail.
    That is the basic premise. I have a perfectly good trail bike and a gravel/adventure bike but fancy getting back on a hard tail for when the riding falls between the two.
    No interested in racing and certainly do not want the old head down position. My poor understanding of bike geometry leads me to think that one of these is far more like an old trail bike in this regard but light and with a little descending confidence.

Will be used for trail centres, rail trails, generally just going for a ride as well as multi-day lightweight bikepacking (hotels and restaurants style).

Anyone see any obvious flaws in one of these?

prawny

Nope.

Looks good to me, longer that previous canyons too, reach and stack is the same as my ‘aggro’ HT. HA isn’t super steep either so would be a good general conditions bike if the trail bike was out of action for any reason.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just whether it is slack enough to ride it hard. I have a Cube Reaction carbon which is a similar kind of thing but it’s definitely steeper (HA) than you want for harder, faster trails. I use it for all day stuff so it’s fine. Maybe something more traily/slacker. Solaris?

scaredypants

I’ve had no involvement with them so can’t comment personally

however

there are a LOT of threads bemoaning canyon’s timelines, customer service and retrospective “overcharging” and I’d think very carefully before buying one

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks guys. will go in with eyes open for sure. Not too worried if delivery is a bit slow as I am not “missing” the bike. CS does worry me though as I like having a physical shop for warranty etc.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had the old grand canyon cf. Had no issues with cannyon as a company and the bike was a well put together bit of kit…

However…

Coming from fs bikes it wasnt that nice to ride, really beat me up even on things like farm tracks. If not racing id definitely think twice about one. Something like an anthem which I had is such a more versatail bike and just as fast for anything other than pure xc racing imo

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks TPbiker.

I have a couple of FS in the shed. I really want to have a hard tail again as I have not had one for a couple of years. Will it beat me up and sicken me on some rides? More than likely I would think but then it has got to be more forgiving than the adventure (gnarmac) bike.

Yak

I thought one of the improvements of the exceed over the grand canyon was increased vertical compliance. ST did a review and had it rated as pretty good for this, albeit not pro-caliber standards.

If you want a fast compliant carbon hardtail and a proper shop for back-up, then I would have thought that the Trek Pro-Caliber would be right up there in contention.

tpbiker
    Free Member

You are right, coming from a crosser itll feel like a magic carpet ride.

It was just begging to be ridden hard, which mine never wa which was part of the problem.

Weighed in at 22lbs with a dropper as I recall.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I thought one of the improvements of the exceed over the grand canyon was increased vertical compliance.

Yes, I believe the exceed is supposed to have around 15mm of ‘travel’ in the rear split between the flexy stays and seat post

wors

I have the Grand Canyon CF, ace bike, very light. Very capable as a trail bike.

fatmax

I have the Grand Canyon CF, ace bike, very light. Very capable as an XC bike (for me) – I’m definitely a wheels on the ground rider. Fairly compliant in my eyes with decent >2.1 tyres on. Top tube could be longer (but then I’m a lanky 6’5″ on an XL), but I think they have done this with the Exceed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any reason not to?

Yes, canyon customer service, or more, the lack of.

fatmax

Got two Canyons, and twice delivered on time with no fuss.
    Can sympathise with folk that have had problems, but then you have to accept things might be more of a pain when you can’t just pop into a LBS.

oysterkite
    Free Member

I’ve had several Canyons (3 at the moment) and customer service has been excellent, they drop the ball occasionally and it gets a lot of coverage when they do but on the whole I’ve been pleased with how they have handled the few issues that have arisen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Exceed – Any reasons not too?’ is closed to new replies.