Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Canyon Dude. How fast?
  • milfordvet
    Free Member

Any Dude owners on here?

Does the light carbon frame and fork, dt2250 cut out rims, light Jumbo Jims and a tubeless rim set up, allow these to get some speed on, and go uphill pretty well, nearly like a normal bike?

The dt rims on these are about same as most 27.5 plus (650g) and the jumbo jims seem to role about the same resistance as tyres like Mountain Kings in tests. That leaves the 1kg tyre inertia…How does it shake out.

I had a fatty but sold it after finding it a bit much uphill but liked the traction. Remember thinking it needed to be all carbon and tubeless to get the weight down. Things have moved on now and theyre improved and lightened the breed.

CheesybeanZ

Sofaking has one and hes bloody quick on it , another mates just got one after a seeing Sofakings one and hes faster climbing on it than on his tallboy ltc . I had a quick spin and if funds allowed id be joining the Dude club.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Thanks Cheezybeanz. Might have to scratch the superlight fatty itch.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The Dude looks an awesome bike to me. I think it’s where my fat future lies.

bedmaker

I have a Dude and have hada OO fAtty in the past.
    Simply a world apart. Get the JJ’s tubeless (easy on the DT rims) and it’s a flying machine. Love my Dude 🙂
    Apart from the broken E13 carbon cranks…

gemini29
    Free Member

Get the JJ’s tubeless (easy on the DT rims) and it’s a flying machine

Do you have any specific tips on how to get the rims tubeless pls ?

(Some owners keep struggling to keep these sealed)

bedmaker

I used a bmx tube, split down the middle then very slightly trimmed to fit neatly within the bead seats. No foam required, just leave the original rimstrip in place. Has been perfect for about three months now.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Thanks for comments. I’m going to go for the Cf 8.0.

I defo want the tubes out of it. I ‘ve been researching the light dt 2250 wheelset, and was thinking of going with the installed rim strip then a 24″ tube cut or lightest and apparently as successfull these fatty stripper latex rim liners. The americans seem to be using them on the fatboy wheelsets with the same/similar rims. I gather there is a decent rim seat provided on the dt’s.

The link is safe!

http://fattystripper.com/

It would also be great if Schwalbe bring out the new Aerothan superlight inner tubes for 26x 4.0 too, to use or store in a saddle bag.

Was going to go with the 8.0 to get the light carbon fork then maybe try bluto’s later, but I like rigid and light mostly on my bikes. Its also got a 2x gear range which would still give me a good gear range with any 29er wheels I might choose to swap in.

Would its ability to adjust to 26 x 4.8 (i’m happy with 4″ in fat mode) allow me 27.5 plus and 29 plus?

Given the wide hubs for stiffer wheels and the 22/36 chainset, i cant see why this iwhole set up isn’t the hardtail the maintain bike standard? I’d have a light carbon platform and dt hubs that can fit all tyre sizes I think.

I’m 5’11 and will get the large as the stack and reach will put me where I am on a Swift taking into account my spacers and the shorter canyon stem (more forward geom).

milfordvet
    Free Member

Bedmaker, how does the frame feel? Canyon know their carbon, its got bolt throughs front and rear, a tapered headset and the bb is pf50 which should make it stiff. The rear stays look flatter horizontally to aid compliance. How do you find it, and compared to Fatty?

Did you get one with blutos or the solid fork?

Northwind

They brought one of these to Tweedlove last year, it was glorious- that big fat frame makes it comically huge and larger than life. I’d love one tbh.

As far as speed goes, my Dune is a little heavier but has a lot of similiar parts, especially the wheels and tyres which are nearly identical (I have a 4.8 and a 4.0 JJ on it rather than 2 4.0s). I just used it to race the glentress seven which gave me a very good picture of comparative speed- basically, I did 6 laps on the fatbike, in the time it took me to do 7 on an XC race bike. But it ripped the crap out of my legs doing so- on the XC bike I ran out of time, on the fatbike I was just spent, I probably couldn’t have done another lap. I’d say it’s broadly speaking about 20% slower on the way up but just a little slower on the way back down- but it was harder work.

dovebiker

Light rims and tubeless make a big difference to how a fatbike rides – I set out to ride a Southdowns Double on my fatbike coincidentally with another guy riding a carbon full-suss 29er. Our paths recrossed 11hrs30 later at Eastbourne – with the other rider having gained an advantage of 30minutes, so about 4%.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Dude. How fast?’ is closed to new replies.