Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Canyon bikes
  • daleftw
    Free Member

What’s the catch? 😆

2.5k to spend on a 150mm bike which means a Trek Remedy 8 which is XT/SLX or a Nerve AM 9 which is XTR/XT/Reverb.

godzilla
    Free Member

Nowt, no dealer = cheaper, 2500 will get you an insanely good canyon end of.

ElShalimo

Pay no attention to the size guide thingy-wotsit as that is for road bikes. Phone the UK helpline and chat about what you want. The bloke is really helpful

They produce the bikes in batches in the factory. I nearly got one last year but I’d have to wait for 11 weeks for the production run so I got something else.

daleftw
    Free Member

Yeah, meant to ring them today. (I’m after a Roadlite 6.0 too, but I want the 105 groupset on the 6.0SL black frame…)

They a good company to deal with? I’ve never not bought from a shop before, if you know what I mean.

adi66
    Free Member

Dale Ive got a Nerve AM6 with full SRAM X9 and Talas 32’s and I have to say its the Nuts!

Love Canyon bikes, the kit is amazing & the finish of the thing is also amazing… Its the little things that make it.

Adi

keefus
    Free Member

I recently bought a Nerve XC 9.0 and I just couldn’t believe the kit supplied. It’s quite astonishing. My mate whose a bike mechanic was absolutely gob smacked at the gear and the finish. I rode it over the Purbecks on its first ride and it actually encouraged me to ride faster. A truely brilliant bike.
    What I do find alarming is for years I’ve saved for what is considered to be the ultimate all day full susser, the ubiquitous Orange 5. This X9 knocks it into a cocked hat for quality of build, equipment, ride and price…its one up from the dogs bollocks (IMO).

adi66
    Free Member

…its one up from the dogs bollocks (IMO)

+1 on that fella!

I’m slowly making my AM6 into a AM-9X… wheels first.

Like you i agree it made me ride down things I’d never dream of doing, and made me push my skills to the limit (but the bike just lapped it up)

I did test a Trek Fuel and Specci Camber… and he Canyon is ABSOLUTELY MILES better to ride IMO

Gribs

Another happy AM6 owner here. Had it about 6 months now and still very happy with it. So far I’ve changed the brakes as I didn’t like the Elixir 3’s to some Tech m4’s, put a wider bar on, and added a dropper post. There’s nothing else that I really feel I need to change now.

xcentric
    Free Member

for many of their bikes, the kit is worth the price of the bike – they are great value. All the ones I’ve seen out are well finished – you need to decide if you like their looks, and can manage without buying from a lbs. But most decent lbs’s will look after it for you anyway, so it’s not such an issue. Main thing is sizing, but you could always sit in a mtb cafe and chat to Canyon owners to get a sit on to see…..

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the catch?

The frames seem to be a tad lardy and you can’t sit on or test ride them.

Edit: Probably no heavier than an Orange 5 frame though. And the HA is a bit steep for some tastes.

adi66
    Free Member

The frames seem to be a tad lardy and you can’t sit on or test ride them.

Really, I suppose you have one ? ? ?

My AM6 weighs in at 12.9kg all in …. weighed on automotive corner weighing scales at work, and yes they are calibrated!.

Read the reviews people… so many mags can’t be wrong!

Why would I pay for the privilege of a bike from a LBS ? Whats the point / advantage… my LBS service my canyon no worries and I buy stuff from them (and the net too)

Sizing a bike need not be done in a shop – I bought my Canyon without using the size thing on their site, I know how big I am and how big my other bikes are… a few measurements, and check of the canyon geometry and I have to say my bike is bang in 🙂

Test Rides – Tosh what shop lets you really test them anyway ? unless you hire the thing.

Follow your instincts… and your wallet (and missus) will thank you.Mine did I got a bang on bike, and she got some LeBoutins (sp)with the saved cash ! 🙂

fivespot
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building an AM6 from a frame bought off here a few weeks ago (£450 and mint) as far as weight goes, the bare frame with shock is 6.9 lbs, exactly the same as the 2010 Five frame I just sold. Just waiting now for Works Components to supply me with a 1.5 degree angleset. This hasn’t gone quite to plan, as the Canyon head tube is an unusual dimension, and nobody seems to stock an angleset to suit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Really, I suppose you have one ? ? ?

No, but I was right anyway according to fivespot…

the bare frame with shock is 6.9 lbs, exactly the same as the 2010 Five frame

Don’t be so defensive adi, the OP asked for possible downsides. For the record, I would certainly consider a Canyon myself and hardly ever test ride bikes.

bonj
    Free Member

impossible to change swing arm bearings. Used to have one and swapped it for a hustler due to the fact the bearings had worn and they were held in by a sort of proprietary bolt/rivet thing that you couldn’t remove. Get something user serviceable.

also I found the sizing thing is more comfort-oriented than handling-oriented, i.e. it will recommend on the large side. I had a large canyon but my hustler is only medium and it handles so much better.
    For enduro or even xc race however i would probably rather the large however which is probably where canyon are coming from.

daleftw
    Free Member

Just bought a Roadlite from ’em. Gonna hold off on the AM for now.

MrTall
    Free Member

I bought a Roadlite last year and it’s been faultless. A similarly specced bike from a dealer here would have been at least £300 more at the time.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again. Now they’ve got into 29ers as well i may well do so in the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bikes’ is closed to new replies.