Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can't we all appreciate that people want/enjoy/rate different things?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Everything everyone does is just fine, bikes doesn’t have rules, there’s no set way to dress/ride/set-up your bike, can’t we just appreciate riding bikes and the fun it brings?

Well anything is fine unless it is imposed on others.

I ride bikes, if I really had to categorise it, I ride BMX, 4X, XC, trail, all mtn, freeride, DH. When i am out riding my goals are to make everything look and feel as natural, creative and as fluid as possible, i understand that the way i measure how good riding is is down to style and creativity, just as others will measure how “good” someone is by how fast they are, there’s no right or wrong, just different iews on what is “good”.

I don’t care who’s fastest or bestest or if you fall into a rider cliche, if you’re sound you’re sound, if you’re a dik, you’re a dik, bikes does not come into it. It’s nuts judging people’s character based on bikes, it’s ludicrous, i would think as adults people would know better.

This whinge is spawned by so much negativity towards one another on this forum and out riding. I expect either lots of negativity or lots of agreement that riders are treating other riders poorly for stupid reasons in response.

Brycey
    Free Member

“if I really had to categorise it, I ride BMX, 4X, XC, trail, all mtn, freeride, DH”

I agree, there are too many cliches. What’s the difference between xc, all-mountain and trail incidentally?

jedi

its all mtbing off road. same skillz

people seem to love pigeon holes

organdonor
    Free Member

Group hug?

wors

As long as it has 2 wheels and powered by me. I’m happy.

Brycey
    Free Member

“Group hug?”

Oh alright then. Sorry for being facetious!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where on earth is the fun in that?

jedi

+1 wors

bobbyg81
    Free Member

+1

Ive recently got a bike again and Im only really doing road miles at the moment. Just trying to get fit again. I’m also having fun with making it a colourful monstrosity. Purple ano anyone? 🙂

Buy the bike, take a ride! As long as you enjoy yourself then thats all that matters.

tazzymtb

people seem to love pigeon holes

there are special interest websites for that you know jedi!

as long as you have fun who cares?

I think most of it is spawned by various magazine journalists who don’t have much to say other than all (insert personal bias as FACT) are crap etc… MBR used to hate all singlespeeders until they turned up at SSEC10 and then all of a sudden it was ok, then 29ers were the new hate figures etc..

life is too short and precious to waste hating what others do or worrying about how strangers perceive you, just enjoy your life

garage-dweller

Never really had much aggro over bicycle issues either on here or the trail. It helps I don’t take myself overly seriously and accept I’m not a mega risk taker or mega talented.

There’s the occasional berk but most people I meet on the bike are friendly enough or at worst ignore you and let you get on with it. Those I ride with regularly all take the **** out of each other but that’s half the fun.

Now politics that’s a different matter…its banned in our house if family’s visiting!

brakes
    Free Member

does this include recumbents and unicycles?*
    if so, I can’t agree with you.

*spits

shedfull
    Free Member

[img]http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae235?$p$&layer=0&size=281,281&layer=1&size=281,281&src=ae235/38945_P[/img] 😀

wors

You’ll be amazed at what you can do on a sack truck 😉

organdonor
    Free Member

Racist.

hock

Hi deanfbm,

while I agree with you I am afraid that’s not the way forums (or for that matter the human race) work.

A good old rant keeps people interested, a ghastly reply spices up a boring afternoon in someone’s office (or a sleepless night in someone’s kitchen).

Look at the positive side of things: if more people are kept interested and visit the forum regularly – and even if it is just out of curiosity and/or seeking entertainment – the more likely you are to get an answer from different people if you have a question.

If it would be all peace and cupcakes, it would be boring and people would only come along when they themselves had a question. I reckon we would see a third of traffic very soon. And then none.

By the way: it helps to ignore the dumb stuff and not take things too personal, too.

I do absolutely appreciate though that you stated what a lot of people think and it would be definitely time for a group hug.

Love you all! 😳 🙂

epicyclo

The fashionistas always get upset when their orthodoxy is challenged.

If we listened to them there would be no such thing as a mountain bike.

Or maybe we should have listened to them in the 1890s and we’d all still be riding tasty fixies… 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

does this include recumbents and unicycles?*
    if so, I can’t agree with you.

*spits

racist. unicycles rock

downshep

Iain C and I did a wee tour of the shire at the weekend. He was on a CX bike and I was on a commuterised MTB. We passed a few roadies we appeared unsure whether to acknowledge us or not. It’s a bit disappointing that riding a different type of bike draws such uncertainty from a fellow cyclist.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s because roadies are arses in lycra. There is nothing factually wrong with this statement, which ever way you wish to take it. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can't we all appreciate that people want/enjoy/rate different things?’ is closed to new replies.