Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • can't do zig zags
  • oldnpastit

Walked the scariest ones. It’s just looking and seeing nothing but sky in front of me.

What’s wrong with me?

scotroutes

Harris?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jedi’s worth every penny

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

3 posts impressive

oldnpastit

Harris.

chickenman

Ride it E to W and push up the zigzags?

oldnpastit

Pushing up is giving up!

scotroutes

Is the correct answer

whitestone
    Free Member

I have to admit those zig-zags on the postman’s path are pretty scary as you are on a very steep slope. The ant-clockwise loop that I’ve seen heads down the hillside further to the right, i.e. out to sea, bearing off near the summit.

We did the loop clockwise so went up the zig-zags.

nickjb
    Free Member

Look where you want to go rather than over the edge. Also leaning the bike over a lot, way more than your body, seems to help get it round. Assuming you aren’t willing to try the endo technique. That said, no shame in walking.

zilog6128

I’ll do technical trails elsewhere that are as hard or harder than stuff at TCs.

[quote]We did the loop clockwise so went up the zig-zags.[/quote]lol 🙂

oldnpastit

Gratuitous picture of amazing Harris views.

whitestone
    Free Member

We were following a description so just went with that. Honest 😉 Don’t think I’d seen any reports of it being done the other way at that time, about eight or nine years ago.

maxtorque

Pfft, you want to try “the switchbacks of certain death” in Les Arcs if you want terrifying….. 😆

scotroutes

Indeed. Why would you want to climb that final descent towards Tarbert?

poly
    Free Member

It’s because your wheels are too big 😉

bruneep

but he would die

oldnpastit

I kind of like being alive. It’s growing on me.

Watching the sky and earth swap places as I hurtle towards certain death does not appeal.

Pyro

Like others have said – t’other way. Hike-a-bike the zig-zags and enjoy the long downhill back. Last time I was there there was a couple of ruts that would have been unrideable* on the way down there

(*for most people anyway. Jedi-enhanced Riding Gods excluded, of course)

andykirk
    Free Member

Slam you seat and get your bottom so far back over the rear that the bike will go long before you do.

iainc

Was a long time ago, we walked up, no way would I have ridden down them !

Giallograle

Switchbacks? Try Switchbacks in the Sierra Nevada. They’ll sort you out. Or Jedi 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did it both ways, clockwise defo best, but switchbacks were fun.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just huck the lot in one go then smash a redbull.

And pick up a bottle of harris gin for after.

matt_outandabout

Oldnpastit – nice pic..

Andy-R

I’m even more “oldnpastit” than oldnpastit is but I actually like steep, tight switchbacks. I always liked the idea of riding them but it’s probably only in the last four or five years that I’ve actually become halfway reasonable at actually doing so. Even now I find clockwise turns a lot harder than anti-clockwise, so I just try and spend more time practicing the thing that I’m more crap at.
    Not much help, I know.

chickenman

The OP has experienced what the locals call “Curam”. This is the abandoning of the wild ways of youth and letting the fear of god set you on the path of righteousness. Expect to start singing Metrical Psalms anytime soon! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘can't do zig zags’ is closed to new replies.