Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cant See a Tory Government Doing This
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20870160

New rights for the homeless come into force

The deputy first minister called it a “landmark” day in the fight against homelessness
    Legislation which aims to effectively end homelessness in Scotland has come into force.

The change entitles anyone finding themselves homeless through no fault of their own to settled accommodation.

Previously, only those classed as being in priority need – often families with children – had that right.

It meets Scotland’s historic 2012 homelessness commitment, first set 10 years ago by the Labour/Lib Dem government.

The change, passed unanimously last month under the Homelessness (Abolition of Priority Need Test) (Scotland) Order 2012, will give an estimated 3,000 more people a year the right to settled accommodation.

As the changes came into force, the deputy first minister also announced £300,000 would be spent over the next two years to help councils with their efforts to prevent homelessness.

‘Heartache and trauma’
    Nicola Sturgeon said: “This is a landmark day in the fight against homelessness.

“I know the heartache and trauma of homelessness from working closely with households faced with the prospect of losing the roof over their head.

“Meeting our 2012 commitment guarantees that those who lose their home from no fault of their own will be guaranteed settled accommodation.

“It is absolutely right to offer this guarantee in a time of crisis for people. It sends the signal that we are there to help, there is hope and that the state will do what it can.”

Official figures from February 2012 suggested the number of homeless people in Scotland is at its lowest for a decade.

Graeme Brown, director of the housing and homelessness charity Shelter Scotland, said: “Scotland can be very proud that it is making history by meeting the 2012 commitment – which is internationally regarded as the cutting edge of progressive homelessness reform.

“I congratulate all the local authorities who have made widespread changes in order to meet their new responsibilities to homeless people.”

Good on the Scottish Government for doing this.

legend
    Free Member

yay more free stuff for us! By the time independence comes along I wont even have to pay for my bike!

allthepies
    Free Member

Free munnnneyy!

anagallis_arvensis

More handouts for the workshy and feckless!!!!!

binners

I think the main priority for the Tories in the new year is to legalise peasant hunting. That way they get to wear their swanky red jackets while sitting on a horse, and also reduce the benefits bill! Its a win/win

mt
    Free Member

Got to agree with Binners, can’t wait.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure how anyone is going to test “through no fault of their own” though? It’s going to be interesting to see how they provide it considering there currently isn’t enough housing to house people who are not homeless and can partly pay (from what I can see).

legend
    Free Member

The SNP don’t let minor details like that get in the way

RustySpanner

There’s thousands of unoccupied houses knocking about.
    Streets full of em round here.

But more money to be made building over green/brown belt.

transapp
    Free Member

surely this’ll make no difference other than moving them from the ‘homeless’ list onto the ‘waiting housing’ list?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s thousands of unoccupied houses knocking about.
    Streets full of em round here.

But more money to be made building over green/brown belt.

That’s true, there’s a few areas I can think of here where half the streets are empty, presumably it’s more expensive to fix them than to wait for a company to come along and propose “affordable housing” on a nice local green spot. We just had a local planning application granted for a bunch of new houses on some lovely green space in a sensitive area when there’s a large area of demolished buildings been sat empty for 5+ years. I just don’t get it.

transapp – looks that way.

Drac

surely this’ll make no difference other than moving them from the ‘homeless’ list onto the ‘waiting housing’ list?

That’s how I see it, something the Conservatives done along time ago.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesn’t stop the non-cynical folk seeing this as some monumental step forward.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I suspect that it’ll mean that those who didnt previously get emergency housing will now be entitled to it. There is no shortage of empty council property which is kept specifically for that purpose.

binners

Someone has just been on the radio, from a Glasgow homeless charity, to say that it won’t make a blind bit of difference

I find that somewhat hard to believe, as I don’t associate Alex Salmond and the SNP with pointless, ill-conceived, mapped-out-on-the-back-of-a-fag-packet, un-costed political posturing. Its not their style at all 😉

birney29
    Free Member

Legend – why should they?

It is the responsibility of local authorities to provide housing. The government can and should set out ambitious legislation and local authorities need to work to make it happen.

SNP should be applauded for having the guts to do this.

matt_outandabout

I find that somewhat hard to believe, as I don’t associate Alex Salmond and the SNP with pointless, ill-conceived, mapped-out-on-the-back-of-a-fag-packet, un-costed political posturing. Its not their style at all 😉

Hmm, agreed, yet on independence, I find myself agreeing with the smug and self serving git.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

binners +1

matt – just dont push them on any of the details. Its not as though they have a had a political lifetime to think about them! 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

There is no shortage of empty council property which is kept specifically for that purpose.

Really? All the comments from our local councillor, when pressed on the issue, suggested they were rammed from all angles and desperately needed private investment. In fact that was the sole reason put forward for allowing green belt development here, by the scottish government.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s certainly the case in Edinburgh.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sorry, I edited while you typed. I just found it interesting because Edinburgh forced the development when our local council denied it on grounds that it wasn’t necessary.

binners

The present central government funding formula (as pointed out by the leaders of Liverpool, Sheffield and Leeds councils yesterday) is encouraging developers to build properties exclusively in the south east

Money is leaving the north quietly and heading south, not probably as the deliberate consequence of government policy but as an unintended result of the fact that economic success attracts success. The government’s New Homes Bonus scheme rewards councils in whose areas new houses are built. For every new home the council gets the value of a year’s council tax. But the fund is paid for by “top slicing” the central grant to all local authority by equal proportions. Because it is more profitable for developers to build in the south, and the demand there is greater, figures obtained by the Observer show that the top 10 net beneficiaries are local authorities in the south while the top 10 net losers are local authorities in the north

more depressing reading

So it doesn’t make any difference what the SNP says, there just isn’t going to be any new social housing, no matter what happens with the homeless situation

andrewh
    Free Member

Hmm, agreed, yet on independence, I find myself agreeing with the smug and self serving git

He’s not proposing independance though. He is merely proposing to move the remainder of the government from London to Brussels. Scots will end up with even less of a say in how the place is run.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, that New Homes Bonus thing is pretty shocking.

However, it’s an England (and Wales?) thing, not Scotland.

binners

Perhaps they could house all the homeless in tents on Donald’s new golf course? Wiht him and Alex being such big mates, I’m sure he could have a word….

Markie
    Free Member

Hmm, agreed, yet on independence, I find myself agreeing with the smug and self serving git.

+1

bencooper
    Free Member

I think he’s doing a reasonable job. Well, compared to the alternatives at least.

But with independence that doesn’t matter – a vote for independence isn’t a vote for the SNP.

wobbem
    Free Member

Great, 2014s influx of Romanians can all go there then 😈

druidh
    Free Member

the deputy first minister also announced £300,000 would be spent over the next two years to help councils with their efforts to prevent homelessness.

Half the story.

Another £3m is to be spent bringing existing housing back into use. I tried to find a link to that on what passes for the mainstream media but was unable to do so.

highclimber
    Free Member

There’s this progressive story from o’er t’border and there’s IDS claiming the Tax Credit system is flawed and full of fraudsters claiming it.

You gotta Love the BBC for doing their bit to keep the balance just right!

br
    Free Member
    shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

There is no shortage of empty council property which is kept specifically for that purpose.

Not in the area I work (central Fife). Service user I had ocntact with prior to Xmas was homeless but is in temporary hostel accommodation as there are no 1 bed properties available locally – there are 2 bed properties but the council can’t place a single person in these because of the (tory) changes to the housing benefit legislation. He, and several others I’m aware of, face being placed in hostels for the forseeable future, better though than sleeping on the street of course. Hopefully the money druidh refers too will help increase the options available.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and just to correct the OPs thread title..

Cant See a ToryWestminster Government Doing This

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cant See a Tory Government Doing This’ is closed to new replies.