Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Can't get my grips to stick!
  • strike
    Free Member

I've got some Ritchey foam grips fitted to Easton carbon risers, and they just won't stick, long term

I initialy fitted them by sparying the insides of the grip with disc cleaner, which worked for a month or so, then removed them and refitted with GT85, then when that didn't wrk I used hairspray – all to no avail

and I don't want to wire them! also a bit weary about using glues, as I don't want old grip stuck on the bars when I try and remove them, to change

any ideas??

ransos
    Free Member

Clean then with hot soapy water, dry thoroughly, re-fit with a very small squirt of hairspray, and leave overnight.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you have 2 options; mechanical or adhesive but you have ruled both out…

car paint works for me.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That's exactly why lockons where invented! There are some things that just aren't worth the faff, even for the sake of light weight – grips are one of them.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

a good old trick is to spray your bars with cheap hairspray , acts as a lube putting the grips on then as an adhesive to keep em there.

DezB
    Free Member

Hairspray usually works – I've heard of puncture repair glue being good for this too.
    But, yeah, Lock-ons are where its at these days, man.

pjt201
    Free Member

yup, i always use hairspray and it works a treat. Have a small can in my toolbox for that reason.

meeeee
    Free Member

mine used to slip but i use a stronger spray glue now – Bostik Fast tack. Works much better than hairspray. Can still get them off with the old squirt WD 40 under them and some twisting

KINGTUT
    Free Member

mine used to slip but i use a stronger spray glue now – Bostik Fast tack.

Just what I use, works a treat.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not entirely sure putting a vulcanising compound in carbon bars would be a great idea

i may be wrong though

jimthesaint

You'll need new grips now as they would have stretched and deformed and you'll never get them to stick. The best stuff to stick grips down with is contact adhesive, but as you don't want to use glues you could try this.

With your new grips purchased, degrease the bars (disc brake cleaner works well here), squirt a load of hairspray (the cheap stuff seems to work best) onto the bars and leave them to dry, squirt a load of disc brake cleaner inside the grip and leave to dry, when everything has dried off squirt some hairspray inside the grips and slide onto the bars, blast the grips with a hair dryer until the grips are warm to the touch, leave to set for 24hrs.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

not entirely sure putting a vulcanising compound in carbon bars would be a great idea

i may be wrong though

Never had a problem with bostik fast tak on 3 sets of carbon bars.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not being silly by why don't you try lock on's – I've been using them for years on Alu and carbon bars and no problems here 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i meant from a tyre repair kit

Drac

Get a fat mate to push them on with his belly.

allyharp

I had the same problem with Ouries I bought about a year ago. Gave upn trying and bought lock-ons instead and it's the best thing I've ever done 😀

thefallguy
    Free Member

I found the ergo ones slip when they get wet, never had a problem with the standard ritchey grips tho. I just use water to slide them on, lock ons are ok but weigh nearly as much my bars! plus I find foam grips are more comfortable too

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Not being silly by why don't you try lock on's – I've been using them for years on Alu and carbon bars and no problems here

100g penalty, plus they aren't very comfortable.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Your opinion Kingtut – Mine are very comfortable and I don't worry myself about 100g 🙂 If you don;t have split clamps on your bar quipments then its a real pain to take them off!

Drac

plus they aren't very comfortable

What? Makes no odds if you buy the right ones.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Your opinion Kingtut – Mine are very comfortable and I don't worry myself about 100g If you don;t have split clamps on your bar quipments then its a real pain to take them off!

Indeed, as is yours, however I do use lock ons on a new build until I'm perfectly happy with the set up then I install foam (nitrile grips) onece I'm happy with the set up there is no need to remove shifters and my brakes have split clamps.

Lock ons (especially Ruffians) wear very quickly compared to nitrile foam grips, plus nitrile grips are £8 cheaper and can be swapped between bars quite a few times before they die if needs be.

What? Makes no odds if you buy the right ones.

None of them are a patch on foam grips for shock absorption.

transporter13
    Free Member

odi longneck loc ons are amongst the most comfortable grip ive ever used, gloved up or not. last well too

Drac

None of them are a patch on foam grips for shock absorption.

Your right there way above them and don't absorb loads of water to boot.

Still it's personal choice you like sponges as grips I prefer rubber.

scaredypants

The best stuff to stick grips down with is contact adhesive

What ?! – that's sniffing glue, not to be wasted on bikes

(and how TF do you get the grips off again?)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Your right there way above them and don't absorb loads of water to boot.

Nitrile grips don't absorb water or degrade through sweat.

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Nail varnish sticks grips a treat! Looks pretty too…

foxyrider
    Free Member

"None of them are a patch on foam grips for shock absorption." – having a nice set of forks set up negates a need IMHO? Also I don't have much issue with the shock I get up front – been riding so long starting on fully rigids and racers off road when I was a nipper. But everone is different as Drac says – I just know when I have to take a shifter off I can do it in a matter of minute of too and back on agin in the same time so thats makes it a no brainer for me personally 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

"None of them are a patch on foam grips for shock absorption." – having a nice set of forks set up negates a need IMHO?

Same could be said for carbon bars..

hughjengin
    Free Member

I struggled to make non lock ons stay put in the past, and tried many of the tricks of the trade like hairspray tube cement etc, to no avail. In the end I decided the only sure thing was to put them on dry ! Its a hard work but its possible. I took some advice and put 3 thin cable ties down the grips to give it something to slide on, and it worked well, although there was a bit of grunting etc 🙂 You have to easer the cable ties out slowly in case thay snap though and get stuck under the grip !

foxyrider
    Free Member

Think we would argue this for sometime and get no where – just beg to differ 🙂

Your a fan of yours and me for mine for different reasons I think KT?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yup.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Can't get my grips to stick!’ is closed to new replies.