Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can't get crown race on. Why?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So I just got this sektor fork and I notice that the steerer has a much more noticable bulge at the crown perhaps a millimetre thicker than the steerer. I robbed the race of my old fork but it just won’t go down to the crown. What is going wrong?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How are you fitting it?

GW
    Free Member

bet it will 😉

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Just cut it through with a hacksaw and make it a split crown race, I have done it several times with no problems.

stuey
    Free Member

what surfbus said

bassspine
    Free Member

obviously modifying a headset is the best way if you know better than the manufacturers. I’d be very wary indeed of sawing a slot in a head race.

You might be lucky.

Steering is pretty safety-critical…

scaredypants

(not a tapered steerer is it ? 😕 )

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sawing ok if it’s not a bearing race in which case you won’t saw through it.

But GW has it.

Woody
    Free Member

Had the same problem on a couple – good quality ones, a Blackspire and a RF IIRC.

Eventually had to skim a bit off the inside with a Dremel to get them on. Wish I’d thought of the hacksaw option !

druidh
    Free Member

What “tool” are you using to fit it with?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don’t have a special tool what should I use? With other forks I just tapped it down with a screwdriver. Cutting a slot may just do it if all else fails

lipseal
    Free Member

Try warming it up so it expands and it might just fall on.

scaredypants

plastic waste pipe works well for banging races down

(try heating the race with some boiling water / cup of tea)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I heated the race with a ciggy lighter then slipped it on the steerer and tapped it down with an old stem which I slipped down on top. It has gone on pefect so thanks for that tip.

seanodav
    Free Member

Extension pipe from vaccuum cleaner is just the right size, place over and hit with hammer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can't get crown race on. Why?’ is closed to new replies.