• This topic has 46 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Can't decide between a BMW 1 Series, 3 series, or 3 series Touring?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Got about 20-25k to spend.

Travel 110 miles per day. Half motorway, half on country roads.

Looking for reasonable mpg if I want, but a nice drive if I want to stick my foot down.

Sometimes have my missus and daughter with me, but more often it’s just me going to work and back.

Want an auto box and sat-nav.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Touring, nicest looking. Engines/gearboxes are largely the same between 1 and 3 (new ones anyway). Might be over budget though?

Or are you looking at used?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy a Golf.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Looking at used. Year old max.

Golf’s are dull. Had one before.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Touring then! (Looks nicest)

andyl
    Free Member

Do you pay the fuel?

How does the 1 series compare to the 3 for mpg. Don’t see the point of the 3 saloon. Dads got one and it’s lovely to drive but utterly useless for loading.

Consider the 118d and 318d models too but drive both, same engines but different power, we found the 320d to be a lot nicer with its 180hp.

AlasdairMc

Touring is the most practical of the three, Gran Turismo if the budget stretches to it will give the most space in back. I’ve got a 320d GT, love it, but the Touring drives better as it’s slightly lower and steers more directly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Golfs are dull? I could understand if you were buying an Alfa or something, but a BMW? Really exciting?.

dickydownes
    Free Member

I pay for some of my fuel – not all.

I just find the Golf a little bit ordinary inside.

timc
    Free Member

I have a F30 (saloon) 320d M-Sport Auto, Sister has a F20 (Hatchback) 120d Sport Manual, Both very nice cars.

Its really your call what fits your needs with regards to body shape & which you prefer the look of, Id imagine they all drive well, noticeably different to older BMW’s though. Personally i prefer the look of the saloon & having no kids or dogs have no need for the estate.

Having had an E90 (Previous model 3 series) the obvious improvements for me are the latest 2.0 Diesel engine, approx 180bhp & loads of torques, linked with the 8 speed auto box, its absolutely brilliant. I would recommend that engine / box combo for your needs!

I guess if you went for a 1 series you could save yourself a few grand

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a 320d ED Touring 2014. It’s some thing like 168bhp as opposed to the normal 179bhp 320d. But still has the same silly amount of torque.

It does 80mpg if you drive it like a prune and I can’t get it below 37mpg trying my hardest.

Comes with non run flat tyres that are more comfy than any other 3 series, and lowered suspension. For what it is, it drives incredibly well, much better than any Golf, turn the traction part off and you can have wonderful controlled rear end fun, take it off completely and just be more careful!

Make sure you get the latest generation, which is much bigger in the back than the previous.

Some people say the seats are awful and that the seating position is too low. To me it’s one of the few cars today you sit in, rather than on. The seat takes time to get right, but the position and comfort is excellent when you do.

When my lease is up I can’t decide whether to get another 3, or get a 1. The only reason for getting a 1 would be that if the 3 being a relatively large car can feel so agile and nimble, then the 1 must be even more so.

However Ive not yet driven a 1 so don’t know if it would be as refined and composed.

I test drove a 318d and just didn’t have anything like the same urgency about it.

maxtorque

3er Tourers are the (small) estate car answer! 😉

Yeah, EVERYONEs got one, but that’s because they are brilliant cars 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a 320ED touring. It’s a great car. It’s not by any means a hauler like a mondeo, but its OK with space, a LOT more fun to drive than any mondeo or Golf estate and just does what its supposed to very well. Switch between eco and 181bhp sport mode is convenient.
    It isn’t jaw droppingly amazing to drive or hugely cavernous. Its just a good reliable, economic sensible car with the ability to carry a decent amount of kit. I’m sure plenty of other cars are too.

I suppose the best compliment I can give is that when the time comes, I’ll go out and get another without any hesitation.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

1 series? Really?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wrecker your 320 never has 181bhp, all the Eco, comfort, sport button does is change the throttle response, nothing more.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Funkydunc has it pretty much spot on.

Based on your requirements Id get the 320ED Touring with the business pack with heated leather seats and Satnav (should be enough of those around if you keep looking) The I drive thing is superb….

With the longer wheelbase the 3 will be a far more relaxed drive on your mileage than the 1 ( I have both cars)

As others have said make sure you get the latest model in Touring guise. Note: the latest saloon does not have flippable rear seats so it’s totally impractical in my view.

globalti
    Free Member

You actally aspire to a BMW? How will you cope with the embarrassment when it’s parked on your drive?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just had a further thought.

In the snow they are not as bad as some would have you believe, as long as you have momentum you will keep going. Like any rwd though, if you stop and try and get moving it becomes very difficult. Snow socks are cheap and work brilliantly for the 1 day a year that snow gets on roads.

isto
    Free Member

My understanding is that they are in fact absolute pish in the snow. Are they not now bringing out front wheel drive cars for the first time as they have realised that their lower models are about as “ultimate driving machine” as a Toyota.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isto, your understanding is incorrect as I assume you haven’t driven one. They are fine in the snow, just like any other rwd. They do 4×4 versions across the range, and now yes they have brought out a 2 series fed, for those who are incapable of driving in snow, and because they are cheaper to make.

If you can’t understand the benefit of rwd then a BMW would be lost on you

agent007
    Free Member

Unless you really need the extra space, I’d go 1 series and go for the 118d. Both the 3 and the 1 are similar to drive but the 1 feels just that little bit more nimble and chuck able than the 3. With the 3 then you’d need to go for the 320d as a minimum as the 118 in the heavier 3 will feel a little under powered. Budget for an extra set of wheels and winter tyres for use between Dec to Feb and you’ll be unstoppable in the snow.

Quick question though, why a 1 year old car? There are now plenty of low mileage 2-3yr old 1 and 3 series coming up for good prices these days as the many lease/hire deals taken up over the last few years come to an end. You’ll save a stack of cash going this route and in reality a 2-3 year old car is going to be no less reliable than a 1yr old car. It’ll be barely run in!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I had a 330d saloon for 4 months last year while I was waiting for my new car (another BMW) to be made. It was a lovely car to drive and despite the engine size often felt nimble. I’d personally pick the saloon as I don’t need the space of the touring. You will of course hear from people who don’t own them how dreadful they are in snow, but they are not really it’s down to how you drive it.

isto
    Free Member

Isto, your understanding is incorrect as I assume you haven’t driven one. They are fine in the snow, just like any other rwd.

I have driven one in the snow – it was a hire car. It was pretty bad. Worse than any other fwd equivelent I have driven on the snow.

If you can’t understand the benefit of rwd then a BMW would be lost on you

I have no desire to own one, so this is not an issue.

chestrockwell

Got to be one of the 3’s if you are determind to get a BMW as the 1’s look hideous.

gribble
    Free Member

I think the touring would be my choice. Have driven both the quality series and the 3 series saloon. All drive nicely.

Comments re: snow are fair. My touring came with snow tyres on a spare set of wheels, which has made it useful in winter weather.

Auto box very nice. Ours is a 320d. Good engine, but be aware of N47 engine issues. We have taken out an extended warranty on ours as it is outside BMW 3 year original.

Second the comments about sat navigation. Our came in old man’s SE spec, as it was previously my father in laws. Dull…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have no desire to own one, so this is not an issue.

Great so you hired a car and didn’t really drive it according to the weather conditions and have reached a previously well known conclusion that front wheel drive is better in the snow. Now we’ve got the usual RWD + snow = disaster out of the way perhaps we can move on and answer the OP’s question :p

isto
    Free Member

Great so you hired a car and didn’t really drive it according to the weather conditions and have reached a previously well known conclusion that front wheel drive is better in the snow. Now we’ve got the usual RWD + snow = disaster out of the way perhaps we can move on and answer the OP’s question :p

I think it was more the weather conditions dictated how I drove in a car that handled badly in the snow.

Moving on… definitely a 3 series touring. As stated above the 1 series is incredibly ugly.

Loads of M135i’s for sale under £25k

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isto they don’t handle badly in the snow just differently to fwd, but of course you already knew that from your extensive knowledge of driving rwd cars

iamtheresurrection

I’d probably say avoid the X Drive actually, and just get winter tyres (again, only if you really want to *really* enjoy driving it). The F31 is nowhere (nowhere) near as sharp to drive as the E91 IMO, and the X Drive just makes it worse, even with the adaptive suspension fitted.

The F31 feels a lot bigger than the E91 though, rear seat space and the boot are both much, much better. 8 speed auto box is awesome if you go for that too.

Ultimately, it’s probably closer to a 5 series in size and to drive really, which is a bit of a disappointment – to me, at least.

unknown
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds it a bit odd that you’d buy an estate then put your bike on the roof, beside the rood box?

Anyway, I’ve got a 1 series as a (temporary) company car. Only had this one a few days and it’s, well, alright. Nice enough place to sit but probably not as nice as the Kia I had before, which felt just as much or more ‘premium’ inside than the beemer. It drives quite nicely, but not nicely enough that I’d put aside the image and buy one if I were spending my own money.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Isn’t the BMW snow problem a combination of wide lo profile tyres and RWD, rather than RWD per se?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Audi

andyl
    Free Member

Why’s it odd putting a bike on the roof of an estate? Unless you have a monster estate then bikes don’t go in whole and its more faff. My bikes either go on the roof, tow bar or in the back if going to town. Dog normally has the boot long with bags.

Winter tyres on anycar sort the winter driving, plenty of Germans drive BMWs in worse winters that we get. Don’t see them as false economy as they don’t really cost you any more long term but let’s not get into that.

1 series was slated a bit for handling when it came out but the saloon version has gone down well and then M versions actually appreciated! One reason for the new FWD is lower cost and other is because the rear leg room in the 1 is not great.

For driving enjoyment, practicality, looks and mpg, provided you don’t need a huge estate, is pretty hard to beat. Some people are going to hate, that’s their problem. Its just a car, if it does what you want and you like driving it that is the main thing.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds it a bit odd that you’d buy an estate then put your bike on the roof, beside the rood box?

Yeah, because the baby in the back and the dog in the boot would be happy to be cuddled up with my dirty bike. The roof box has a pushchair in. This was a family holiday.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes

iamtheresurrection

wrecker – Member

Yeah, because the baby in the back and the dog in the boot would be happy to be cuddled up with my dirty bike. The roof box has a pushchair in. This was a family holiday.

Shoot first, ask questions later. STW summarised in two posts… 🙂

isto
    Free Member

I’ve always owned estates (mostly because I like them) and have never considered putting bikes in the boot. Bikes are always caked in mud and putting them inside would require me to move baby seat etc. Plus if am taking a couple of mates in my car then it would be a nightmare trying to cram all the bikes and gear inside the car. A good setup on the roof is completely hassle free….just throw them on and then remember not to drive under any low bridges.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve got a 320d M Sport touring. It is lovely to drive, very easy to do lots of miles in. It’s not as frugal as BMW reckon it should be (and I don’t thrash it). If you can get he professional entertainment system as the larger screen is great.

Missus has an M135i and it’s plenty big enough for a bike in the boot (front wheel off).

Both are good cars. Drive them both and choose. But I personally prefer the looks of mine to hers….

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Get the 3 series touring, brilliant car and practical, forget the saloon as boot is awkward. Next time I’ll go for the 5 touring but that’s due to a growing family.

The M Sports can be a bit firm; my 330d auto has averaged 40.5mpg over last 30k miles of spirited driving, the 320d wil be more economical but for the added fun the 3 litre is more than worth it. Your budget should get just about get you an F31 330d.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Can't decide between a BMW 1 Series, 3 series, or 3 series Touring?’ is closed to new replies.