Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • cant connect blu ray player to network
  • sadexpunk

got a new blu ray player, ticks all the boxes that im after, but im having a hell of a job keep trying to get it connected for streaming.

out of the box it all connected great, most days tho when i switch it on and try to access apps, it says it cannot connect to the network and i have to keep going into settings, trying ‘automatic’ settings or inputting manually (addresses my IT whizz brother tells me to try), but no success.

once in a while it will connect tho which is the puzzling thing.

could it be because the router is in the next building? yet if so, how come our laptops, squeezebox etc all connect fine with no dropping issues?

just for any techies that it may mean something to…..
    when it doesnt connect, my ip addresses are 169.254.170.195, subnet mask 255.255.0.0. gateway and dns are both 0.0.0.0.

when it does connect, these change to 192.168.1.169, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and both gateway and dns are 192.168.1.254

can anyone explain what might be happening here, and if theres anything i can do to stay connected please? im trying to get the last 3 episodes of breaking bad watched here!! 😀

thanks

verses

Mine often looks like it’s loaded and ready to go but won’t load the apps for another couple of mins.

If I try and load the apps it complains that there is a network problem, but I’ve learnt that it really means “give me a bit longer and I’ll sort myself out”.

Could it be the same?

Mine’s a Samsung BD-6900 (I think).

sadexpunk

ive been trying for the best part of an hour this morning, still no good :-/

thanks

bamboo
    Free Member

Are you using wifi or a LAN cable?

sadexpunk

sorry, its wifi. router some distance away (adjacent building) which is why i half-wonder whether thats the problem, but everything else connects fine. and the blu-ray does too from time to time. puzzling…..

bamboo
    Free Member

Could you try moving close to the router and using a cable as a test? If that proves successful you could then connect using some power line adaptors.

sadexpunk

i could take the blu ray into the other building to try yes, ill do that. if its successful, what are these power line adaptors? (ill google them and have a look.)

thanks

EDIT: looks like 2 adaptors, one plugged near router, one near blu ray, and each being wired to the device. thanks

AdamW
    Free Member

sadexpunk: make sure the powerlines are on the same ring as sometimes they can’t chat if they aren’t. If you’ve got a mate who can lend you a pair that would be good. I do the same thing BTW for my PS3 as streaming over wifi is rubbish. Otherwise you may have to string a bit of CAT5/CAT6 between buildings!

sadexpunk

i think the fact that theyre different buildings would rule out the power lines. ive had an ‘ethernet to wireless bridge’ suggested to me. good idea do you think? and any suggestions as to good ones?

thanks

sadexpunk

well, ive taken the bluray out of the hifi cabinet, and its marginally better, so gut feeling is thats the problem. still having buffering and dropped signal issues tho.

rather than power lines, and having 2 different plugs talking to each other, is there just a sort of booster that would connect into my blu rays ethernet socket, but have a far greater antenna or something?
    just something that picks up a weak signal better and is connected directly to the player?

thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘cant connect blu ray player to network’ is closed to new replies.