Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • can't be bothered changing my tyres to go riding tomorrow. Will I die?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

will I die if I don’t swap my Bontrager Jones XR’s for my High Rollers? I just can’t be arsed. Don’t really like the Bontragers, just use ’em for riding on the road and bimbling on the hills.

for Coed Y brenin If I can also be arsed driving there. or Marin/penmachno.

Think I’ve just got The Fear cos I had a nasty smash when I first rode ’em at a trail centre.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You will probbly crash and get mash-up an ting pon your hed dat.

Why don’t you sort Skypes out so’s I can bother you over internets?

postierich
    Free Member

Last night two collisions with trees because I could not be arsed to ride a bike with sensible tyres on for the terrain.
    You will crash! how badly your head will decide 😀

Enjoy you nervey ride tomprrow!

Rich

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeh I’ll probably fall off, but I just think I’ll fall off worse with the XR’s. Stupidly, I’ve also been reading tyre reviews! you’ll just do my head in all night if I install skype and I’ll never change me tyres.

ahh.. I’ll do it in a min…

transapp
    Free Member

They’ll be fine for a trail centre. Rubbish in the mud though!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’ll just do my head in all night if I install skype and I’ll never change me tyres.

Yeah that’s the idea, innit?? 😀

Go on! Go on!

My SS has mud tyres on and hasn’t bin used in about 3 months. I have been meaning to have an urban spin on it, but can’t be arsed changing tyres.

Just take another bike out, innit? Saves all that faffing.

postierich
    Free Member

XR2,s thats what I was using **** awful in dampness 😕

Not used the things since keilder(dry and dusty=great )

Kevevs
    Free Member

it was really nice n sunny up here (north wales) out on my roadbike today, think I’m being far too optimistic the trails are gonna be dry enough. You’ve convinced me Postie, I just don’t want a smash just cos I’m a lazy git!

I’ll do it when Schindlers list is on at 11…

samuri
    Free Member

I’m interested. How many people actually change their tyres then depending on where they’re going riding?

I really couldn’t be bothered with that. If they’re on the bike and have got air in, that’ll do me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I really couldn’t be bothered with that

me neither, pair of 1.95 schwalbe landrangers have done me in snow, mud, ice, tarmac, etc all through the winter there(they were cheap, i nicked them off my brother! 🙂 ), back tyre is a bit melted now though and i’m looking to get something different soon, but it’ll be fit and forget again. But a tyres a tyre, if it’s got a bit of tread you’ll be fine in anything, it’ll just be a bit slidier, you get used to it anyhow, if it’s really bad, let it down to 35psi.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I dunno Samuri, I’m half n half. Think I’ll just ride what’s on the bike and hope for the best. sucked into a film now…

Oggles
    Free Member

Tyres is tyres, agreed. Nics or bust.

kimbers

fine on a trail centre ive been riding razer mxs since the summer

no grip when its moist but ive got max skillzz to compensate

iain1775
    Free Member

riding on rims is where it’ll be at in 2012 innit
    what rims for mud, DT swiss of course, Stans for rocks puncture proof ya see, Mavic for trail centres keep it bling yeh homeys?
    tyres pah so 2010 save the air, its gonna get taxed dont ya know

Kevevs
    Free Member

these tyre threads never go well do they…

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Tyres are one of the most important parts of the bike. F1 races and WRC Rallies are won and lost on tyre choice regularly.
    MTB’s are high peformance bits of kit too, but there seems to be a different attitude to their use because race kit is just so available to the public.
    I can change a set of tyres in minutes, and that will make the difference between a good and bad ride depending where i’m riding.
    Good tyres for Afan will be cack for Brechfa and I generally use mud tyres for the natural stuff nearer home.
    It’s about kit you can rely on.
    You wouldn’t use slicks offroad, so why use any other tyre that’s wrong for the trail conditions and compromise you enjoyment of the ride?

i predict you will crash and definately set on fire!

you will be fine!

in response to the other discussion yeah i cant be arsed to change tyres either, i have maxxis high rollers for pretty much everything, if im racing i might venture to a spike or a super tacky. Im more than happy to suffer on the up hills for better traction and comfort!

njee20
    Free Member

Tyres are one of the most important parts of the bike. F1 races and WRC Rallies are won and lost on tyre choice regularly.
    MTB’s are high peformance bits of kit too, but there seems to be a different attitude to their use because race kit is just so available to the public.

That analogy struggles though as the rider makes a bigger difference than the driver in F1, and there’s many many more tyre choices than WRC. A skilled rider could make a better job of CyB in the wet on Furious Freds than a numpty on 2.5″ High Rollers.

Your average rider is also nowhere near the limits of the equipment as in those sports. If you’re racing people do change for everything.

Good tyres for Afan will be cack for Brechfa and I generally use mud tyres for the natural stuff nearer home

That’s a bit of twaddle really, depends on the conditions, and personal preference.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Skyline-GTR – I don’t think anybody is disputing that tyres make a difference, but the thread was, i can’t be arsed changing the tyres, will i die… the answer to that is no, if you’ve less than perfect tyres on you just need to adjust your style/speed and be a bit more careful. other than that ride away. different tyres help in different situation, but they aren’t completely necessary for a blast round a trail. If you feel you need more traction, let a bit more air out the tyres, that make quite a significant difference imo, but then again i do generally ride with quite high pressure so maybe i notice than more.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

MTB’s are high peformance bits of kit too

No they’re not. Not compared to an F1 car, or a spaceship, or an aircraft carrier or something. They’re just bikes. Simple, relatively low-tech moderate performance machines. The rest is just marketing gumph.

Tyres? A set of mud tyres are better in winter sloppiness, but other than that, I’ll just slap on whatever’s cheap on sale somewhere. I ride ’em until the tread’s worn right down, or they’ve got cuts and tears in them.

Yeah, if you’re racing, then the lightest tyres might give you an advantage, sure, but for the vast majority of us, any old bit of rubber with some tread on will do for most riding. I spose heavy duty ones will be tougher on sharp rocks and that, but there’s not a lot in it really.

The rest is all marketing gumph.

People dunalf make a load of fuss over tyres. Probbly cos they want to look clever. Best off just riding yer bike about really, than waste time changing tyres over for every single ride just cos the terrain’s slightly different.

br
    Free Member

And you’ll find that a crap rider will benefit most from having the ‘right’ tyre, as they haven’t the skill/experience to manage on the ‘wrong’ tyres.

rOcKeTdOg

Got smoke and dart combo on mine, had them since ’88, now stretched to 29″

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I hope you changed your tyres or you will die 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

I just keep the same reasonably knobbly tyres on until they are knackered then change them.My dry weather tyres are my worn out winter ones.

Kevevs
    Free Member

took some air out and Rode Marin Trail on the Bontragers and I didn’t fall off and explode like in a Michael Bay film. Deffo a bit sketchy tho.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He hasn’t changed his tyres, and he hasn’t died!

Woohoo!

Mind you, I could’ve had his Ecks-Bocks…

Kevevs
    Free Member

they’re harder compound and roll really well on all the bloody fire road!
    rocky stuff a bit wet and they were a bit erk! ook! arrgh! still had fun :). put the other tyres on when I go somewhere more hardcoreknarlydude.

elaineanne
    Free Member

so you cant be bothered to change your tyres and you even cant be bothered to drive… 😕 can you even be bothered to cycle 🙄
    or even get out of bed for that matter… 👿 😉 :mrgreen:

Kevevs
    Free Member

yes, I cycled a lot (for me)! 50 mile hilly roadride yesterday and marin trail today, and I don’t get much time to bikey, so done well these last couple of days. got monday off as well, where to go, where to go!? I’m back in bikey mode I think 🙂 love it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘can't be bothered changing my tyres to go riding tomorrow. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.