Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Canon eos 550d – recommendations?
  • geoffj

Thinking of upgrading my 350d to a 550d.
    It seems to have the same 18 mp chip as the 600 and 60.

Anyone got one?

geoffj

Bump

What about Nikon, Sony or Oly or Pentax options then?

Conqueror
    Free Member

didn’t dare reply because I wrongly assumed you were looking at Canon only

Pentax K-r and K-5 (depending on budget) are well worth a look

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkr/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/

But if you already own lots of canon glass it might make sense to stick with them?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My daughter bought the 550D about a month ago as her first DSLR and i’m very impressed

Here is a shot she took with the 55-250mm lens that comes with the twin lens kit. Plenty of scope to crop with the 18mp, good at high ISO and a great screen, in fact its tempting me towards a 60D to replace my 40D

Another one from her 550D, but this time with my 400mm prime, its certainly a decent camera and don’t think you would be dissappointed

Drac

Funny in exactly the same boat but may even just go for the 550D as so little difference. My 350D is 5 years old now but still a great camera.

geoffj

Thanks guys. TT great photos. Is that a baby robin? 😉

Rich_s

I just went from 300d to 60d which has been a pretty bewildering experience – night and day stuff really. The deal I got on the 60d was well worth having, but I must admit I was very tempted by the deals on 550d too as most reviews seemed to say it was pretty good.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Thanks guys. TT great photos. Is that a baby robin?

Thanks, all my daughters work apart from a few setting suggestions for the moon pic.
    Think it is a young Robin, they have a nest in our Holly tree and the adults have been coming and going quite a bit

molgrips
    Free Member

What about Nikon, Sony or Oly or Pentax options then?

Likewise if you already have Canon stuff stick with Canon.

I’m loving Olympus but anything other than Canon or Nikon seems to make one into something of a niche monger.

I looked at possible upgrades for my E600 body. The only thing that the E5 has that would benefit me is movie recording, ISO 6400 and weather sealing. ISO6400 is not that useful on the thing due to noise; for way way less money and not much more weight I could get a dedicated full HD camcorder; weather sealing is ace but none of the rest of my lenses are sealed..

andygreener

TT,

If you do decide to upgrade i may be interested in your d40 for my stepdaughter. For the right price.

Mail me at andrewgreen25@hotmail.com

lodious
    Free Member

I had a 350D and sold it after a month or two (preferred my old Canon G3 at the time). I bought a 550D recently, and it’s miles better than the 350D, much more so than the spec’s would suggest. Really impressed.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you do decide to upgrade i may be interested in your d40 for my stepdaughter. For the right price

Its a 40D not D40, as in Canon not Nikon

Just sold my older one that had done close on 80K clicks, this one is the new spare and not even reached the 1K mark yet.

Trying to decide whether the 60D provides sufficient cause to spend out the extra on,big downer is the considerably less custom settings, only one against the current three and the change from CF to SD cards.

Might have to see how much a 7D would set me back, know the 60D would be made of strong plastic, but used to the metal shell and the extra durability

Will let you know should I decide to sell, would be looking for around the 380-400 quid mark given the condition.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I went from a 350d to a 550d and even to a luddite who doesn’t really know much about cameras, the difference is marked.

The 1080P video is a nice feature too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Canon eos 550d – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.