Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Canon 7D DSLR camera and Digital Rev
  • creamegg
    Free Member

Anyone on here have anything good or bad to say about this camera? I’m thinking of buying it with the 18-135mm lens as a starting point. It will be my first DSLR camera and it may seem a bit advanced for a beginner but i’ve always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and i’d rather buy something that i’d grow into rather than the other way round and my girlfriends father is an ex professional photographer so i’ll be able to get some pointers from him.

My budget is around £1500 and I’m considering buying from Digital Rev (based in Hong Kong). Anyone here had any experience buying stuff from them? There’s some money left in my budget so should I also look at getting a 2nd lens? (have seperate budget for tripod, memeory card and other bits n bobs)

donsimon
    Free Member

7d is a nice enough camera.
    Digi Rev are perfectly fine, I bought a 17-40L from them without problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d just like to point out that you don’t need to spend anywhere near £1500 to get a camera that will be plenty for any hobbyist.

I would suggest a £600 camera and £900 worth of other lenses and kit. Lenses are what let you compose your shots – a diverse range of lenses offers far more options than a nicer body imo.

creamegg
    Free Member

I’m also looking at cheaper options too 600D and 60D but just wanted to see what people thought of the 7D.

konahead

I have a 7D and am very happy with it. Put some good glass in front of it and go take some pictures.
    Digital Rev are very efficient and quick, last order from them arrived less than 24 hours after being placed

lodious
    Free Member

I have a 7D which I use with 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200L f4. I upgraded from a 550D. There is no difference in image quality, but once you move up from the kit lens, it feels much better to hold (IMHO) and the AF is really good. The user interface is better, which helps. I’m pleased with the upgrade, but if your sticking with the kit lens, personally, I wouldn’t bother over a 550D/600D. Micro focus adjust has also been worthwhile.

I’m not sure i’d partner it with the 18-135mm, but each to their own. Digital Rev have a decent rep, but I used HDEW and they were cheaper at the time and had good service.

creamegg
    Free Member

thanks lodious, I’m not sure yet weather to buy with a kit lens to start off with or just get the body and buy seperate lenses. I am planning to buy additional lenses as and when I develop and improve though.

Prices on HDEW looks good too (and cheaper in some cases) so thanks for that recommendation.

lodious
    Free Member

The Canon basic kit lens is pretty good, and it’s so cheap, you can learn quite a lot from it. Lenses hold their value well, so if you buy at the right price, you can own them for a few years and move them on without loosing too much money. Camera bodys generally depreciate like stones 🙁

Dunno if you have checked out talkphoto forum? Lots of good (and bad) advice there.

creamegg
    Free Member

One thing holding me back from going for the 7D is that it’s been out a while and there are rumors of a 7D mark II so im wondering weather to wait and get the 7D at a cheaper price when a newer model is out but I don’t know how long I’ll end up waiting for.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I have a 7D having moved onto it from a 40D, very pleased and only thing I would like is a max setting on the auto ISO same as the 600D and 60D

Auto focus settings take a bit of getting used to and would suggest buying one of the expanded manual type books

Don’t think you would be disappointed, even if a mark II did come out can’t see me changing

creamegg
    Free Member

have you guys got examples of your work online?

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a 7D, upgraded from a 30D. I’m sure people will say it’s too much camera, but I love it. Nice and robust (just stick it in my camelbak) with fast autofocus and decent low light performance – what you want for mtb photography really.

Some pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewanpanter/sets/

IMG_9247.jpg by Ewan Panter, on Flickr

nbt

I’d go for a cheaper camera and better glass to be honest, if that’s what you want to spend. the 18-135 lens is capable but not the best, the 15-85 gets better reviews, and the 17-55 is raved over. If you can get “L” glass, even better

petrieboy

Buy a 2nd hand 500, the lens you’ve suggested and a 50mm 1.8 and trade up the body if and when you feel it’s limiting your shots. I’ll wager you never will, but I’d you do, you’ll lose very little on the sale. (bought a 350d years ago with similar intentions – see no need to upgrade now other than HD video)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Although I am very happy with my 7D think if I were buying a quality camera tomorrow it would be the Pentax K-5 especially with the £50 cashback or £80 if bought with the kit lens

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah +1 for decent lenses. 70-200mm F4L and 17-55 F2.8 here – 17-55 is perfect for biking shots.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Yeah +1 for decent lenses. 70-200mm F4L and 17-55 F2.8 here – 17-55 is perfect for biking shots.

I agree got both of those too, went for the IS version of the 70-200 f/4 and also have the 10-22mm along with a 1.4 TC

Apart from extreme long range got most eventualities covered with that selection

creamegg
    Free Member

cheers for all the input guys.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d go for a cheaper camera and better MORE glass to be honest

skywalker
    Free Member

I thought Digital Rev sold imports (thats why they are cheap), therefore you don’t have a valid warranty as its not a UK item?

creamegg
    Free Member

thanks to Lodious i might get whatever I buy from HDEW but will also shop around before committing as im not in any rush. Digital Rev did send me some info on the warranty but I haven’t got round to reading it yet.

stuarty
    Free Member

As a canon shooter I would recommend
    linky

You doent mentipn what you will be shooting
    Rember glass is king, and holds its money
    Camera bodys 10 a penny newest is best unless your top end 3000 grand upwards

grum
    Free Member

HDEW +1 and +1 for decent lenses. Might as well get a 50mm 1.8 as well.

donsimon
    Free Member

Might as well get a 50mm 1.8 as well.

Unless you want something that’s not made from plastic…

grum
    Free Member

Yeah the construction is pretty shoddy but if you look after it it will last ages and the price/IQ/usability ratio is pretty damn high IMO. Real men use primes.

Actually maybe he should not bother with a body and just buy one of these:

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers grum, I bought one based on the advice from here. Sold it soon after because it was slow at focusing and shoddy. Thought the OP might want to know, but hey…

PlopNofear
    Free Member

They just did a video on it today.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k&feature=g-u-u[/video]
    Summary of it. It is built like a tank.

bamboo
    Free Member

Canon eBay outlet had a 7d with 15-85 lens for £1200 earlier this week

skywalker
    Free Member

Do not buy one from somewhere that imports them, you will not have a full Canon warranty as it is only valid in the country its from.

zokes
    Free Member

I’d just like to point out that you don’t need to spend anywhere near £1500 to get a camera that will be plenty for any hobbyist.

This is true, but if the hobbyist takes to their hobby, then sells the cheap camera at a great loss for the one they wanted all along, it’s hardly saved them money.

I (re)started with a 450D, and 8 months later had the 5DII I still use three years on, having sold the 450D for a fraction of what I paid for it. About the only camera that’s interested me since is the Olympus OM-D as a second camera to just carry about with a 17mm pancake lens on it. The best camera in the world is the one you have with you, and all that…

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I can’t imagine spending a ton of money just for a little extra definition, but that’s just me by the sound of it 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

It’s not just definition, it’s usability too. Most other cameras just feel like cheap toys by comparison to the XD series.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. I buy cameras for what they do, not how they feel. It’s not a mattress 🙂

Shall I stop trolling now, or is anyone still having fun?

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh.. I buy cameras for what they do, not how they feel.

No good having all the bells and whistles if you can’t get them to work, is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can’t work the camera rtfm. I didn’t think that’s what zokes was talking about though. Weightiness and quality feel don’t mean much to me, as long as it doesn’t break.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m talking ergonomics. The bigger bodied Canons are more inutitive than the farty toy Canons. Nothing to do with my fat fingers either. 😀

Ewan
    Free Member

I used to have a 350D, the 7D is soooo much nicer to use ergonomically. More controls under the fingers too. I guess my large man hands couldn’t handle the little girly sized lady cameras 😉

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Having direct access function controls is so much nicer and easier than having to scroll through menus

Joystick control of the focus point on the 7D is very handy, surprised they discarded that on the 60D

jad
    Free Member

I went from a 400D to a 7D at the end of last year. In general, I love it:

Pros:
    – Much better at high ISO
    – Much more ergonomic
    – Built like a tank
    – 8 FPS is nice!
    – Nice screen

Cons:
    – Heavy, especially if carrying on a bike
    – Bulky (good thing too)
    – Same sensor as on a 550D, so same image quality
    – Weather sealed

As mentioned, make sure you get some good lenses for it. Why not get a 60D with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM? That’s what I would do if starting from scratch.

Some of my stuff

Ewan
    Free Member

– Same sensor as on a 550D, so same image quality
    – Weather sealed

Why are those cons? Image quality on the 550d is quite good (as is the 7d), and the weathersealed is a plus no?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Canon 7D DSLR camera and Digital Rev’ is closed to new replies.