Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Canoeing on the Avon
  • keppoch

Hi All,

I am interested in canoeing the Avon with a group one day in July. I’ll be staying in Bristol and would like to get the train to near a starting point and then go from there for 4/5/6 hours ideally.

Does anyone know I could contact to rent canoes and which section is good to paddle?

I know the Wye is not that far away and perhaps better to paddle but specifically interested in the Avon this time 🙂

Thanks.

Mowgli
    Free Member

If you start in Bristol docks you can get out onto the Avon and head up towards Bath. The docks is quite interesting in a grimy industrial sort of way, and it quickly becomes more scenic once you’re out of the city. Around Saltford or Bradford-on-Avon is much prettier and probably accessible by train. In fact most places on the Avon are pretty good.

keppoch

Isn’t that going upstream?! Fancy doing it the easy way but ending up in Bristol would be quite good. Any idea on where to rent the canoes?

scaled
    Free Member

time it right with the avon round bristol and upstream is downstream 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Isn’t that going upstream?! Fancy doing it the easy way but ending up in Bristol would be quite good. Any idea on where to rent the canoes?

Spring tides go as far as Keynsham – if you time it right you could get some aquatic assistance…

Beese’s tea rooms is a nice place to stop off – direct access from the river.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Not sure about hire I’m afraid but google throws up a few possibilities. There’s barely any flow on it, and I’ve generally done out-and-back trips, usually to a pub or cafe.

TheDTs
    Free Member

In Bristol and have a 17′ Coleman you can borrow if you want to collect ?

T1000
    Free Member

Howabout get a train to Bradford on Avon the bike shop there hires canoes

Some nice places to eat and drink there as well….

keppoch

TheDTs – Thanks for the offer but I am looking to hire enough for 12 people.

T1000 – thanks that is useful. I will look them up. Hopefully they can do transport as I would rather do one way, out and back can feel a bit frustrating I find.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We’ve done 11 in it, but that was mostly kids and a bit cramped.
    Have a good trip!

scotroutes

Oh – that Avon…..

Marko

Does anyone know I could contact to rent canoes and which section is good to paddle?

The best trip is to catch an incoming tide and come up the river under the suspension bridge. Not for beginners though.

Try Bristol Canoe club. They don’t hire canoes, but might know of a company that does.

Marko

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

On my paddle board a lovely few hours is Limpley stoke to Bathampton on the Avon, quick hike then back on the canal to Limpley going over the viaduct…could start/finish down in B-o-A too

Try Paddlepoints as a resource

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Canoeing on the Avon’ is closed to new replies.