Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cannondale Prophet – headset options?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused by the headset arrangement on Ms AD’s Prophet. The bike as a chunky headtube, but she’s always run it with 1 1/8th forks, so there’s clearly a 1 1/8th headset in there at the moment, still the stock on.

But the frame has a couple of huge reducers. If I change the headset, do these stay in place? Or are there specific headsets for this type of headtube?

I dont want to switch to a tapered or 1.5″ set up.

thanks

Rickos
    Free Member

One of the reducers is a huge spacer to extend the bottom of the headtube so you don’t swipe the tops of your forks off in a crash. Standard FSA bearing race should fit straight into the spacer extender bit. Then just get the top half of a Hope (see pick and mix on their website) and that should do.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Rickos – spoke to Chelmer bikes and they can supply a Cannondale specific Cane Creek headset(which comes with the massive spacer) for £50. But to be honest, I’d rather fit a Hope top if possible.

I was told it would be tough to find bearings that would fit the bottom?

Simon

When my original headset died I fitted a Hope Step Down with a deep lower cup.

jackal
    Free Member

Hope step down with extended lower cup, obviously remove the cannondale reducers out the headtube first, lighter and better.
    I’ve got one in the garage that I took out my prophet last year if your interested…

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Cannondale frame that came with the Headshok so the frame has the same headtube as the Prophets.

When I swapped my Headshok out for some 1 1/8th forks, I used one of those Cane Creek Double XC headsets that you mention. tbh, it was absolute garbage. Bearings didn’t last very long at all and iirc, replacements were very expensive (seem to think around £30 a pair).

After replacing a couple of times I got some Marzocchi reducer cups so I could use a standard headset. Had a hope in there for a good few years now.

If I was to start again, I’d be looking at what Hope can do.

shifter
    Free Member

When my original headset died I fitted a Hope Step Down with a deep lower cup.

Probably a daft question – was the down tube clearance ok with the Hope?

jackal
    Free Member

Prob depends what fork (eg shape of crown and top caps), my u-turn pikes cleared.

shifter
    Free Member

Great, same fork here, been wanting to lose that hideous lump of an adapter for some time. Thanks.

coatesy
    Free Member

Got a few of those Hope Step-downs that were mistakenly ordered, and have been sat in the workshop for months,can probably let a couple go cheap if you’re interested. Call me after 9.30 at Sunset Bikes (02920371321)and i’ll see what I can do.

shifter
    Free Member

Cheers Coatesy, delivery in less than a day – excellent. Loads less bulky and much better to look at!
    Clearance:

1.5 step-down clearance by woldspinner, on Flickr

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Prophet – headset options?’ is closed to new replies.