Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cannondale Prophet bike/shock setups
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve just managed to get myself a Cannondale Prophet SL frame for pennies, and I’m looking for some help setting it up.

I need to get a shock for it, I was thinking a Fox RP23, and I heard it should be a 200×50. But on the SL models they had a shorter shock to make the travel 120mm rather than 140mm. Has anyone got this setup, and what affect does it have on the geometry? I would like to be able to run the bike on both the FR and XC head angle settings.

Any opinions/photos/advice greatly received!

mboy
    Free Member

The SL was a 10mm shorter shock, 190×50 iirc

The normal prophet was a 200×57, which gave it the extra 20mm travel at the wheel.

The Prophet SL was rather low in the BB iirc, good for some not so good for others, but lower than many of its contemporaries.

z1ppy

STD Prophet has a 200x50mm shock for 140mm travel,
    Prophet SL has a 190x45mm shock for 120mm travel.
    Its the same frame, just a different shock.
    You only run into problems if you try to run a 200x57mm shock.

I run mine with a 200×50 RP23, in the FR setting. It climbs just as well as in the XC setting, but is loads more fun coming DH.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

How low would the BB be if I ran it in the FR setting with a 190×50 shock, would it be super low and feel weird? Have you ever tried that setup?

I was thinking about having some Revelations on the front, or maybe a Lefty Max…

z1ppy

Never run a 190×45 shock on mine, so I can’t say about BB heights for that. I have a m8 who runs one with some 140mm forks on the front, and seems to like it – but as it’s a medium it’s too small for me to try.

Mine came with a Lefty Max 140, but I’ve since moved onto 140mm Revelations. I like the lefty a lot but the original need a good service and my ‘spare’ (I said I like them a lot didn’t I 😳 ) blew it’s damping circuit (que one crap ride round afan). Rather than get either serviced, as I’m not overawed by the (older Manitou) Lefty damping & wanted something a bit more special, I found some bargain 1.5 steerer Rev’s U-turn Team’s on ebay and had those instead…

Lot’s of 1.5 or tapered steerer forks bargains to be had if you looks around, but the downside is the cost of a 1.5 or Tapered headset (let alone confusing) is damned expensive for a good one.

richwales

In the fr setting, I find the bb height noticeably low. Not that it’s a bad thing as the low bb is part of what makes it a great ride. Wouldn’t want to go any lower though and will get 170 mm cranks some time in the future. 190mm shock may work ok in the xc setting as it would slacken the ha and lower the bb – maybe?

IA

Zippy speaks truth.

I had one with both shocks, and pikes on the front.

Short 190 shock really was too low and slack on the FR setting. And I like slack bikes, (have a DH bike too). Nice on the XC setting though.

140mm in the FR setting handled about the same and the sus works better though. That was a high volume shock tho, a lot plusher.

If you only have one shock, and are running 130+ forks get a 200.

If you’re running shorter forks, get a 190.

bighendo
    Free Member

………. 216 x 64, will i die??? 😯
    only for use with 160mm eg Talas 36`s
    had it like this for 2 years, rides superb, great bb clearance
    …..26t granny/granny god bash ring

GEDA
    Free Member

If you are buying a shock won’t it be expensive as it needs to be tuned to the frame? Don’t get a boost valve shock as they are not meant to be very good for the Prophet. I fancy a vanilla r coil shock for mine but am happy with the RP2 on it after messing around and finding the right settings.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

So what kind of shock should I be looking at? I think 200×50 sounds like a sensible option, but what about the boost valve, high volume stuff?

I don’t know anything about suspension as this will be my first FS bike, but does the suspension of the Prophet need a specific suspension tune or anything, I’ve read that it has a falling rate, is that right? And if it is right, what does it mean?!

Bighendo: that looks ace, lovely paintjob.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Actually, thinking some more, I’ve had a different idea.

If I were to get a 190x45mm shock, the bike would have a 120mm of travel and be way to low in the FR setting. But If I were to run longer forks like the Revelations at 140/150mm, wouldn’t that jack up and slack out the front end, and raise the BB? SOrt of along the lines of the Cotic Hemlock?

bighendo
    Free Member

mansonsoul, yes you are correct..
    and of course you could get the 200mm and run slightly more sag if you are not too heavy
    ive had 888 forks on mine and it rode sweet, but theyre too heavy for a 40mile jaunt

IA

If I were to get a 190x45mm shock, the bike would have a 120mm of travel and be way to low in the FR setting. But If I were to run longer forks like the Revelations at 140/150mm, wouldn’t that jack up and slack out the front end, and raise the BB? S

Read my post. I had this setup. It was fine in the XC setting. FWIW pikes at 140mm are right on the max axle-crown for the bike. The MX’s had extra reinforcement to take longer forks.

I had a heavy tune regular 190×45, and a high volume med tune 200×50. The longer shock was better. I don’t think it sacrificed any XC speed and was better on the downs.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Thanks IA, I’m definitely confusing myself with all this!

I’d also like to ask about this falling rate business. I was planning on getting an RP23 from TF Tuned, so hopefully they could tune it to suit the Prophet, does anyone have any advice about what to tell them to help with that process?

IA

Ask them, they’ll know best. You’re paying them a premium for their expertise – use it! You’d not try and tell a chef how to cook your dinner – but you would tell them the characteristics you like in the finished product.

In theory falling rates are better with low volume air cans. In practice mine rode better* with the HV one. OF course you can tune the air volume by adding grease to the aircan.

*this is of course subjective.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Thanks IA, I really appreciate your help. Just to let you all know, over the next few weeks expect to get bombarded with another ton of questions about this that and the other. Suspension’s a bloody minefield isn’t it? 😳

z1ppy

I was planning on getting an RP23 from TF Tuned, so hopefully they could tune it to suit the Prophet, does anyone have any advice about what to tell them to help with that process?

I got my RP23 BV from them, they knew to fit a low volume can, & this was included in the price. I also had a PUSH tune done as IIRC it was cheaper to have it fine then than later. I thought the PUSH. Tune worthwhile,as it felt loads better than a STD RP23 I’d been leant to use while I got my new one.
    The STD Prophet came fitted with a manitou shock, these go for no money at all (£30 last time I looked) & could be a cheap try before you commit to £300+ for the fox.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Prophet bike/shock setups’ is closed to new replies.