Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cannondale Lefty – Needle bearings replace question.
  • rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Has anyone done a bearings / outer race replacement on a Lefty fork ?
    Mine are sounding rough and as the fork peforms brilliantly I feel I owe it a overhaul. My local C'dale dealer are not that keen and advise me to go to eighty-aid.
    Also is there a instruction manual on line ?

Thanks.

Garry_Lager

There's been a couple of step by steps posted on the mtbreview cannondale forum – a few lefty experts hang out there. That said, I once reset the bearings on a DLR2 with excessive force and ripped two of the races off the leg. Asked for advice on a DIY repair and a guy posted something like a 23 point step by step that required a custom tool or two. Bit much for me, but if you've an enquiring mind into how these things work then why not? Still need to source the bearings and races from somewhere but they're probably quite cheap.

ETA: I'm pretty sure there are decent manuals online now with a lot of detail – there were none for ages but in the last few years I'm sure I've seen complete breakdowns of the fork published by CDale

walleater

Unless you've got the right tools and a digital micrometer so you can work out which races you need, don't even think about it!

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Thanks, I have the tools and mic, do I need to remove the said bearing races to measure the gauge to order spares, or will they be specific to year / model ?

dale
    Free Member

you will have to split the fork to measure the inner races.most likely just need a bearing swap. Not rocket science,which year/type lefty? you will need bearings -£15ish seal kit £7ish. If you lift the boot can you feel wear in the inner races? The outers contained in the upper assembly are usually all the same size.At a push you can turn the lower races around just make sure you know the position of each race they are specific to there position

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Lefty – Needle bearings replace question.’ is closed to new replies.