Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cannock chase, what's best? Monkey or Dog?
  • craig5

My be going to Cannock tomorrow with a mate who is not very bike fit, but can ride. He knows llandegla, but the full route will be to much for him. What’s the best to ride at Cannock? And what’s it riding like?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Some sections are still shut…by how not bike fit do you mean? Ride both follow the dog and monkey and just let the poor sod take a breather 😆

AlexSimon

My 8 and 12 yo managed both after not cycling all year, so I reckon it’s doable. Especially with the current diversions.
    Monkey is more up and down than Dog and therefore more fun for me.
    The Dog on it’s own will be over a bit quick imo.

jamj1974

Both good when all sections open. Monkey better though. Larger proportion of Monkey open at the moment too.

craig5

What are the best sections? We did the dog a few years ago, wasn’t to impressed. It’s just a bit closer than llandegla and the weather looks better. How dry is it at the mo? If he doesn’t want to do it all, is it easy to cherry pick the best of it? We are just out for a laugh.

jamj1974

All of Monkey is good considering the altitude. Black sections are fun.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The Dog on it’s own will be over a bit quick imo.

This. I think it is only a few kilometres long. If you do the Monkey you only miss out one short section of the Dog anyway.

m0rk
    Free Member

Is it sign posted from the car park?

I’m staying near there tomorrow night for work, so will take the bike for an evening ride (or morning ride)

Suggsey
    Free Member

Up past Swinnerons bike shop for the start but note the car park closes quite early! You can park on marquis drive or one of the other satellite car parks say up by Tackeroo and enter Tackeroo grounds where you can drop onto the route there and ride it as a loop.

m0rk
    Free Member

Excellent – Thanks Suggsey

bullroar
    Free Member

Current diversion are here:

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/diversions_march2015.jpg

The diversions make it a bit disjointed. I rode there Sunday and parked at the road crossing (near marker M9 on the above map) did all the Monkey on that side a couple of times then drove to the Tackeroo car park and had a play about on the section down to Birches Valley.

It was dry and in places almost dusty, even thought about letting some air out the tyres a couple of times.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cannock chase, what's best? Monkey or Dog?’ is closed to new replies.