Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cannock Chase – Questions Please!
  • hello,

Im thinking of heading to Cannock on my way back down home from oop north back down to London town. Im thinking smash a few hours of driving stop for a ‘shred dooode’ and then press on back home. So can you answer me these questions three!

1) Is it any good and is it worth popping in or should I man up for the extra driving and head into Wales.
    2) Which trail should I ride (I like ragging and jumps etc), and can I stop for a play on the DH area on one of the XC trails?
    3) Is it still dry?

Cheers!!

Nick

rOcKeTdOg

Cannock Chase questions please

is the fit blonde still in the cafe?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Move along into Wales please, there’s nothing to see at Cannock.

AT
    Free Member

Permits ??

roddi18
    Free Member

Rode cannock for the first time yesterday and would now definately avoid it until they do some serious trail maintenance. The place is riddled with breaking bumps. Nothing very fun there either other than one dh run that a lot of the dhers were sessioning that was just before you cross back over the train tracks. Head to wales

cheers team quite inconclusive though appreciated nonetheless!

iDave
    Free Member

Rode cannock for the first time yesterday and i am now an expert. would now definately avoid it one of the built trails until they do some serious trail maintenance – or you learn to ride over bumpy terrain. The place small section out of hundreds of miles or trail is riddled with breaking bumps. Nothing very fun there for riders who can’t explore on their own, either other than one dh run that a lot of the dhers were sessioning that was just before you cross back over the train tracks. Head to wales

FTFY

tazzymtb

iDAve, shhhhhhhhh we don’t folks to realise that there is more than the dogging monkey otherwise all the nice horrible boring rubbish bits will get trashed

tomaso
    Free Member

If you can’t have fun round Cannock Chase there is something wrong. Its no mountain but there is plenty of it.

Kids from Dudley think of it as the Amazon.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

how North are you, sounds like you need to go to lee quarry to me.

Potcode OL12 0BB Futures Park, look up into the hills, follow the road and explore..

roddi18
    Free Member

Idave. You are clearly a prize prick.
    The lad asked if it was worth stopping there to ride one of the trails.
    From his original post i gathered that he, like myself prior to saturday, had never ridden cannock before so unless his crystal ball works better than my rock, he probably won’t know of any of the hundreds (Yeah likely) of miles of sick trails that you know of. I also can’t imagine wanting to explore for new trails when i only had a short amount of time on the way to somewhere, i would like to be able to hammer around #some decent trails.
    Also, there is a massive difference between rough trails and trails littered with breaking bumps before, in and after every berm, jumps, small descent.

Ftfy? What does that even mean? I guess you are the kind of full grown adult who uses LOL!!??- Penis.
    Enjoy your shitty trails, can only be a few years more until it is just one big breaking bump

markd
    Free Member

Did the Easter bunny not come to you roddi?

Calm down with the words. You’ll only get banned.

Wookster

Well worth a look some bits, chewed up but nothing unrideable. I enjoyed my spin around there in Feb. It’s worth a spin if you’re passing.

Never been off piste but I know there are other bits in there, much like you just wanted a blast around for a few hours so signposts are were it’s at!

It can be very trail centre-esc though more so than any where I’ve been in Wales. Lots of BMW style riders ie right up your arse when your going slow for a reason ie others on the trail in front of you.

Worth a visit though.

iDave
    Free Member

roddi, the fact that you state an entire area should be avoided until ‘they do some trail maintenance’ would signify that it’s you who is the prick/penis etc. Did you notice that no one else shared you view that Cannock should be avoided or were you too busy adjusting your knee pads?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Skills courses are available at Birches Valley for those who have trouble with a few breaking bumps. 😉

julians
    Free Member

Its a decent trail and is worth a visit IMO, in the main its quite a pedally undulating course , but there are a couple of decent downhills in there.

There are a fair few braking bumps, but they’re not that bad, and dont slow you down very much.

I’d imagine it will still be very dry.

BigJohn

I do not normally spring to iDave’s defence (or, indeed, Idave’s) but as a Cannock regular (who spends maybe 2% of his time on the built trails) I think he’s righter than Roddi18 (age, weight or IQ you wonder?)

The braking bumps add a nice bit of challenge. I rode a bit of the Monkey last weekend (till we peeled off and did the fun descent past the stoner’s hut on the big berm) and thought it was a really engaging hour.

Tip for Cannock to people who don’t know it and are riding on busy days – make a note of where you parked, don’t worry about getting lost, just keep following people who look like they know where they’re going, especially if they’re heading off in other directions. Follow tracks that go into the trees (some of them are good, some are deer trails which peter out, win some lose some) then when you’re tired, ask somebody how to get back to the car park whose name you’ve just forgotten, which sounds a bit like the one you just heard. It’s never more that 5 miles from where you are. Unless you’re really lost.

tomaso
    Free Member

Prior to the construction of the trail centre Cannock Chase riding there was great with miles and miles of trails that most folks with basic mapping skills could navigate. All the trails are still there but need to be found rather than sign posted. The advent of trail centres often means folks forget how easy it is to ride somewhere new. (Don’t mean to sound like a condescending ****t)

I have very fond memories of Cannock Chase – riding the sand pit and getting air and dropping into the near vertical sections, pinch punctures down kit bag hill, crashing my San Andreas big style, cycling all the way from Wolves to race XC in the mid nineties, taking kids out from rough estates to go mountain biking, high winds and trees falling around me in the forest and riding with deer running in the forest.

winrya
    Free Member

I ride it quite often as it’s only 45 mins away. Did it last night as it happens and I’d say it’s well worth a ride. It is really battered at the moment, holes everywhere but if you enjoy biking, jumps, holes, drop offs, the odd surprise it’s well worth doing. I’ve ridden most of the trail centres and while not quite up there with Brenin, its just as good as Llandegla and far better than the marin trail.

The downhill route at stile cop is also great fun although a good 10-15 car ride away from the monkey and the dog

mrbump
    Free Member

braking bump are definetly an issue on the new monkey trail and new section of the dog ,but this is inevitable with the type of terrain(sand and gravel) and the traffic it gets.also the trails always suffer badly when the weather is hot/dry for a long period.
    on the other hand the terrain makes it a decent wet weather trail.
    obviosly it can’t contend with wales due to lack of elevation but the monkey trail side does make use of what there is.
    the new black run seems to lack decent flow due to deep rock garden place directly after tight switch backs making it more like riding trials.
    i can’t comment on off piste stuff,because i have’nt rode it but i’d guess first time riders are going to ride the waymarked stuff.
    the upper and lower cliff descents on the monkey are good fun in the right conditions but will need some maintance this winter but i guess that will be down to funds or volunteers.

thanks everyone, sorry to have caused a diplomatic incident!! I think Im going to bite the bullet and hit up Llandegla its a bit of a detour but I quite fancy it as its such a nice day.

Geordiemick00 – Yeah I am familiar with Lee but I just fancied getting a bit further sout though aving said that Llandegla is pretty big detour!

Cheers

chainslapp
    Free Member

Chase trails have just issued this photo of current trail alteration and repair work, after many complaints due to braking bumps. 😀

ree1
    Free Member

Cannock chase is not a bad trail i know there is alot of braking bumps, but were mountain bikers who can surely ride over them or around them.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I rode cannock chase saturday it was fine, lots of bumps and fun and now I’m off to ride Llandegla , its sunny so fun time..

Nick

It’s all good init. Why doesn’t the op ask if any locals will be around to show him some of the lezs well known bits?

t-obias
    Free Member

Rode the Cannock DH trails on Friday. There are indeed some braking bumbs but as someone mentioned before, if anything it adds to the fun. To be honest, we spent the day there and found plenty of smooth stuff. Worth a look if you haven’t been before.

walleater

As a 38 year old man, I’ve thought long and hard with regards to this reply:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLWTF……………..

iDave
    Free Member

I bet there’s no braking bumps in BC, or no one would ride….

Parr
    Free Member

If you don’t stop and ride it, you won’t be able to cross it off the places you have ridden, if you stop and think it’s shite, you won’t stop off again on your way back home.

There are bits that are crap, but there are bits that are really good, watch out for some of the tight trees, can be a struggle to get your bars through :D, the main things is you’ll be on your bike

walleater

Actually braking bumps have single-handedly killed the BC mountain biking scene. We now just grow ironic facial hair and ride fixies.

BigJohn

Hiya Will, how’s it going?

walleater

Hi John,

All’s good thanks. I do own three singlespeeds so I guess I wasn’t totally lying about the fixie thing. Are you still doing much All Terrain Bicycling?

BigJohn

About 3 times a week if I can. Then fixie as commute/shopping/pub. Riding to the pub tonight and taking the Soul to Hanchurch tomorrow to meet up with a mate who just bought an S-Works Epic of Mr Foorde who’s expanding his empire like crazy. Opened a Spesh Concept Store in the middle of Stafford and has taken over the Fiat garage at Milford which seems to be fully stocked with Giants of all sizes.

(A small Giant always makes me laugh. I thought giants were all big)

Is the ironic facial hair to match that on your palms?

walleater

My palms have cleared up pretty well since I’ve been over here 😉

scruff
    Free Member

As for fixing breaking bumps, I saw the ‘Trail Volunters’ yesterday, they werent fixing ANYTHING, they were just sat at Milford Common eating chips, the lazy so and sos.

Will, can you keep an eye on J’cloth please & make sure he doesnt get a 29er.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Parr – Member
    watch out for some of the tight trees, can be a struggle to get your bars through

Mental Mickey – Member
    Skills courses are available at Birches Valley for those who have trouble with a few breaking bumps tight trees.

🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase – Questions Please!’ is closed to new replies.