Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cannock Chase …or Long Mynd
  • skydragon
    Free Member

Got a free day to go out for a ride this week, whilst down Shropshire way. Choice seems to be Cannock Chase or Long Mynd.

Haven’t ridden either – which is the most fun in terms of descents, preferably with a bit of techie fun thrown in?

markrh
    Free Member

Mynd. Was there yesterday, its great but then the Chase is great to…er dunno, you’ll have fun at either 😀

tthew

Cannock is ace, but Long Mynd is better.

GolfChick
    Free Member

If you’ve not done either and it’ll be ages til you are there again I’d go for Long Mynd, I’ve not ridden it but the Chase is just an average trail centre covered in pebbles but the Mynd is supposed to be a worthwhile trip!

mrhoppy

Long Mynd unless the weather is cack.

jekkyl

The mynd is more of an adventure with maybe 2 great big ups and 2 slightly less big downs, lots of altitude and a great feeling of remoteness. The chase is a good quick fix of fast flowly action, plenty of tech on the blacks and always fun whenever you go.
    Depends what you’re after, if you’re limited for time then go to the chase I’d say. Either you will end up smiling.

bullroar
    Free Member

You are not comparing like with like.

I have always been largely a bit disappointed with the riding at the Mynd, not a bad day out in the countryside.

Cannock is always good fun.

mrhoppy

If you’re disappointed with the riding on the Mynd you’re doing it wrong.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you’re impressed with the riding at Cannock you’re doing it wrong.

bullroar
    Free Member

Maybe or perhaps it is just not my thing. Of the several times I have been there I can only really remember the Minton Batch descent as being something to go back for.

Esme
    Free Member

Bullroar, where do you normally ride? If you are used to rocky trails, Minton Batch can seem a bit lacking 😕

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Mynd once. i get the impression it’s one of those places you need to know where to go. I seemed to spend a lot of time on road and tracks and not much on proper off road trails. The off road trails were great but over in a flash and before you know it you’re back on a track or road. I’m sure if you were guided by someone in the know there would be loads of stuff you just wouldn’t find if you’re just meandering around on your own. Maybe you could pop into the bike shop in Church Stretton, Plush Hill Cycles, and get some advice on local routes. I bought my bike from those guys and they are really friendly.

Cannock is a trail centre, and I prefer natural riding, but also enjoy trail centres. There are some pebbles but that adds to the challenge and depending upon how much of it is currently closed (and some sections are currently closed) they’ve done a reasonable job of keeping you off fire roads.

For your situation then Cannock would be nice and easy to ride on your own, it’s easy to split it up into sections and repeat certain sections that you might enjoy, and if you fancy it you can always take a look at Stile Cop for some jumpy stuff.

I’d choose Cannock over the route around the Mynd route that I did, but if you have some insider knowledge on the Mynd then that probably has the greater potential.

There is some other riding nearby the Mynd though, a good number of woods and other areas. They might be worth a look too.

walleater

If you take a bike to the Mynd with more than 3″ of travel, you are doing it all wrong. Sure there’s plenty of double track there, but if you are riding a rigid / short travel bike then you spend half your time in the air ripping down them. I can only imagine how boring riding down to Inwood on a Santa Cruz Bronson and the like must be.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase …or Long Mynd’ is closed to new replies.