Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • CANNOCK CHASE IN THE WET???
  • giantx4
    Free Member

ok….so planned a day at cannock on saturday…..is it ok when wet??,ive only been when dusty….loved it!

flatfish
    Free Member

It’s the same, but dirtier I expect. 🙄

rocketman
    Free Member

Went round last night and it wasn’t too bad.

A mixed bag of dry/moist/wet with plenty of splashy puddles and Cannock’s special blend of watery mud over polished pebbles embedded in concrete singletrack.

Off-piste is getting churned up.

Currently there’s a deluge going on and combined with more rain over the next few days I expect conditions to be less than stellar over the weekend.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It gets a little skittish on the babies heads (cobbles) and obviously it gets a bit sticky in places, but its all perfectly rideable.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

IN THE WET???????????????????????????????? ARE YOU MAD??????????????????????

CERTAIN DEATH AWAITS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scamper
    Free Member

The place drains relatively well and quickly but after prolonged rain for days as we are having, it could well be saturated in places,although still relatively mud free. On the official trials at least, if its wet expect to covered in sand by the end and your drivetrain and brake pads to take a hammering from it.

giantx4
    Free Member

Mmmmm….ye….thinking……..: /

Schweiz
    Free Member

In the wet, the breaking bumps become bottomless pools of doom. Take rope and a rescue flare in your camelback to be on the safe side.

LMT
    Free Member

Just remember to pick up a new chain/cassette afterwards cannock grit kills bikes!!

giantx4
    Free Member

Oh pissss!…was looking forward to em top flowy jumpy bits & the beut downward trail down to that pond bit n’all!

tomhughes
    Free Member

much more fun in the wet, can’t stand it dusty. one section gets almost impossible due to mud but I went there a few weeks ago and that section was closed??? Anyone know why?

rocketman
    Free Member

Oh pissss!…was looking forward to em top flowy jumpy bits & the beut downward trail down to that pond bit n’all!

Still there but coated in black watery mud 🙂

giantx4
    Free Member

Er…anotherdeadhero …..got a fascination with death!? : )

SimonR

Rides pretty nicely in the wet – there are some deep looking puddles but none seem to hold too many nasty surprises. If anything there’s more grip when it’s properly wetted – seems to get quite loose and dusty in the dry.
    And yes it does punish drivetrain and pads …

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh I’m just in a funny mood today, best ignore me. Your thread title did give me the lol mind.

kayak23

Are you mental?
    This is one of the braking bumps after heavy rain…

lunge

It’ll ride fine but the grit eats components.

f757lkk
    Free Member

Ha ha pete what’s the beef dude? We’ll be fine!

Yeah hammers pads and driveline as the sand is a bit sharp but other than that it’s fine in the wet! As for the braking bumps, not much use if your taking your road bike on carbon tubs around there (or your barbie bike with stabilisers and pink basket) but i’m planning on taking my mountain bike yer great jessie! 😀

scruff
    Free Member

tomhughes-

Only 2 sections are closed, the end of Follow Your Dad (maintenance) and a section of The Donkey Trail, twixt 5ways and Upper Cliff (tree felling).

giantx4
    Free Member

Ha ha!..frigg..got the barbie rigg all lubed up n’all!…guess i’ll af to take the trance then!…new brake pads at the ready!…ye that braking “puddle” pic looks one bad morher!….lets av it!..

nickswolves
    Free Member

LMT – Member
    Just remember to pick up a new chain/cassette afterwards cannock grit kills bikes!!

2nd this….trails are like a grinding paste when wet and they finished off my brake pads in 1 ride

pumper
    Free Member

I was there on saturday.It was raining on and off all afternoon.As Rocketman said watch out for the polished pebbles! they nearly caught me out a few times.Apart from that it rode good.Full strip down,clean and regrease on the bike was needed after,even all the sealed components needed a good cleaning.Good fun though.

giantx4
    Free Member

Shit! Summits come up now & cant bloody go anyways!..BAH!…cheers fr awesome replys!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘CANNOCK CHASE IN THE WET???’ is closed to new replies.