• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cannock Chase – fully open?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Planning a cheeky one tomorrow.
    Are the trails fully open?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mostly. There’s a diversion on the Dog (Aunt Flow, Bombhole and a couple of other sections are closed). Monkey is fully open.

It’s wet though, properly wet.

zelak999
    Free Member

Is that wet or knee deep muddy gloopy wet?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wet. Proper deep puddles , especially on the Lower Cliff descent.

The rain on Christmas Eve was pretty mental.

Scamper
    Free Member

Didn’t see the official diversion as approached up the hill, but bomb hill was not taped off and seemed open to me.

davidbikeguy
    Free Member

rode it middle of last week, still diverted for 3 sections then, fire road run up to Takeroo camp area. makes it a 20km loop.
    amazingly muddy for Cannock but still very ride able as it drains so well.will be fine bar the odd big puddle now.
    group of us up there tomorrow. fingers crossed this wind drops as they have a habit of closing everything in high winds.

m0rk
    Free Member

Let us know how the trails are…. THinking of making the long drive up on Monday

twonks

I was there this morning. The diversion is still there on the dog but wind has moved tape around somewhat.

Lower cliff seemed ok tbh although you will get very wet all in all.

Still rides well though.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cool beans, the weather looks okay from 08:00 on wind looks like it dropping according to the forecasts, see you out there!

m0rk
    Free Member

How was it?

Rosss
    Free Member

I did the Monkey this morning and it is riding pretty well, wet and a bit mucky but grippy and good fun. Upper cliff descent is still pretty wet but they’re drained the biggest puddles. I didn’t even bother riding the cheeky trails and off piste, that’ll be a mess

iain1775
    Free Member

Went for a family walk today, it was proper busy both BV and MD car parks where very full and a lot of bikers out
    Actually walked along the old abandoned sections of trail from chainslapper near MD back to BV, they have recovered nicely and make a nice ramble away from the fireroads now (all be it not a very direct one), they wouldn’t be particularly rideable though, a few trees across the paths and overgrown in a good few places

davidbikeguy
    Free Member

Had a wee play today, not as wet as it has been, mostly just big puddles left to navigate but they are clearing as lots of wheels roll through. off piste is all very boggy.

super busy up there today, irritatingly so in places with some real all the gear no idea riders not wanting to let us past after a polite ‘rider’ approach.

still jersey and short weather which is a bonus!

zelak999
    Free Member

m0rk it was a good ride, bit puddly in places but compared to my local ride location (Dartmoor) it was dry and fast rolling!!
    Shed loads of bodies there though, had to leave a gap between sections so as not to get slowed up.
    I enjoyed the two long downhill sections on monkey, there was a lot of the dog closed though.

m0rk
    Free Member

Cheers – we got up there today

My riding buddy stacked it just two miles into FTD, which had it as ride over.

After minor injuries, and then A&E I’m just back home now…. 360 miles, and 14hrs for two miles riding….

zelak999
    Free Member

awh m0rk that’s a real bummer, hope your mates ok.
    He didn’t smack his bars on them narrow trees did he?
    Try again another day eh?
    Where are you based to travel 180 miles?

m0rk
    Free Member

He’ll live 🙂

He cocked up a manual in the trail just before the decision point to turn for the monkey trail

But we live just outside Portsmouth, hence a very boring drive home!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase – fully open?’ is closed to new replies.