Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cannock Chase (FtD) – anything I should know about?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Off to the Chase for a spot of night riding in a bit.

Done plenty of night riding (it's ace 🙂 ) but never here so we'll probably just ride the FtD trail as a safe option. I assume it's pretty muddy out there? Any trail closures?

Ta in advance 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The dog never gets that muddy. It's pretty well drained.

Have you got your permit.?

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Yep, you will be in the sh*t if you dont order your permit in advance.

fbk
    Free Member

lol. Don't worry. I have all the necessary documentation, stamped and validated by the warden 🙂

st

Expect wet bits but no real mud, everythign on FtD is open, no closures.

Wait for the STW mafia to come along and tell you how you'd be much better driving up to the lake District or north Scotland to getter a better mtb experience but that's all really.

Oh and John Climber will be along to tell you about how the off piste stuff is much better.

Ringo
    Free Member

Lots of puddles but no real mud. Riding it backwards is ok

st

Oh and we won't be checking permits tonight, although we will be shooting kermits who ride sections backwards.

witty.name
    Free Member

I been up there tday its not too bad,mud wise.Had a great day untill we got told off for riding stuff we shouldnt have been on.We are so naughty!

st

Hope that wasn't the Phase 2 stuff that is closed, that would be a real kick in the nuts to the tireless hours of work put into the project by the volunteer builders.

fbk
    Free Member

Don't worry – I know there's better more technical stuff there. I've ridden with locals quite a few times and had some great afternoons.

FtD is just an easy point and shoot trip out tonight, and I actually enjoy it as a bit of a blast. That's the great thing about night riding – it adds an extra element to familiar (and less technical) riding. Llandegla's great in the dark too 😉

When is this new stuff being opened anyway (obviously allowing for prats who ride closed bits despite signs/warning etc!!!).

witty.name
    Free Member

Erm yes im afraid it was.Swinno's have told us its closed but the unbrashed sections are open to ride as they need bedding in.Then was speaking to a chasetrails trailbuilder who was telling us how to link the sections together,so we went and had a look.Its very good.Roll on easter 2010.

witty.name
    Free Member

I suspect norfolk in chance has been having a gander over ther too.

smartiekid
    Free Member

Wot permit? 🙄

tazzymtb

watch out for big cats and werewolves….they're out there I tell ya!

oh and Doggers….

had a very worrying experience, apparently leaving your boot open (No it's not euphamism!)with a light on showing your arse whilst changing out of muddy clothing is some sort of secret code 😯

fbk
    Free Member

Well, I can confirm that the FtD trail is actually REALLY good fun in the dark. surprisingly busy too.

The Landlord at the Horns Inn on Slitting Mill Rd was also very friendly – when we checked re leaving the cars in the car park he even offered us the use of a bike wash afterwards. Unfortunately it did mean we had to pop in for a couple of post ride pints though 🙄 . A good evening all round.

I suspect norfolk in chance has been having a gander over ther too

Sorry – not something I tend to do. I know how much work goes into those trails and how annoying it must be when they're trashed through people riding them before completion. I am looking forward to riding some new stuff when it's open though.

scruff
    Free Member

If you ride it at night you can get away without permits as the wardens are looking out the other way. Just switch your lights off as you pass the Marquis Drive bits [top of chainslapper > section 8] and they wont see you. Café lights are bright enough to ride without lights.

fbk
    Free Member

Well I was quite disappointed – as mentioned, I'd had all the paperwork signed & stamped but no one was there to check it. 😯

You're right about the lights though – the ones round the Birches blind you if you're heading the wrong way!!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Cant see the appeal in riding it backwards all the fun bits go down and the boring bits are climbs. Is there something I'm missing.

Section 10 with the berms hurts a bit when you fall off at night and land in a muddy rock pool. Still cant rest on my elbow a week later. Bloody blue grooves!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase (FtD) – anything I should know about?’ is closed to new replies.