Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cane creek double barrel – where from advice sought
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Hi,

I plan to buy a CCDB shock, can anyone recommend a supplier from experience ?

Im happy buying the spring seperately, so if you can also recommend a Ti spring supplier that would be good.

Thanks.

slowrider
    Free Member

i got one from free flow bikes, fantastic bunch of folk

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stendec been recommended on here before, also try eBay for overseas traders. Not sure all To springs will fit, I’ll measure diameter of mine but I think it needs a larger spring than fox.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did get a recommendation for Stendec and will check them out. Ive seen some overseas suppliers, but they are only about £50 cheaper. Im not sure if its worth that saving as wont I still get stung for Import / VAT when I buy from them ?

LoCo
    Free Member

Stendec would be best bet as they have the most experience working with the DBs, well until I’m allowed/can get hold of them 😉
    and the full range Ti springs should be in stock next month with me just got UK Distributorship of the I Chu Kronos springs, as fitted to the DSP Racing Duelers. 😀

Stevelol
    Free Member

Got mine from tftuned. No big saving or anything but it arrived fast and was setup ready for my bike, just tweaked it a little.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm when I thought about selling mine overseas eBayers were a chunk cheaper, at that price vat and import tax will make em more expensive.

Loco will your ti springs fit CCDBs then?

Email Malcolm@canecreek.com with bike details, rider weight etc and he’ll send you recommended settings.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive spoken to Loco, his springs will fit once he has them in.

Cheers for the email address Crashtest, I will get the spec and then see what Stendec quote.

messiah
    Free Member

I got mine from TFT. They did machine down the plastic thread protector thing after my steel spring was binding on it, not sure why this was an issue for me and not for others? But the machine down on it has sorted it. The settings TFT originally gave me were a bit pants but after a phone call the changes they suggested were spot on and I’m now happy with it.
    I managed to get a Ti spring secondhand which is a DSP so is I think the ones Loco sells, and it fits fine. I’d start with a steel spring, depending on how you like your suspension set up the CCDB can be run with springs above or below the setting suggested by normal spring calculators (MOJO/TFT). Cane Creek springs are cheap and it’s worth trying a few set ups… fiddling and footering is what you buy a CCDB for anyway 8)

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive just spoken to Stendec – brilliant advice and service. Why cant all suppliers be like him and Loco ?

He explained that he does quite a bit of work on them to get them set up for the bike (Transition Covert in my case)

He changes oil thickness, shims etc and then sets the Hi/Lo Comp/Reb. This will then ensure it works properly with your particular bike, each of course has its own leverage characteristics. Then you can go off and tweak it more if you want and phone him up for more advice.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Definitely try with stock spring before buying ti. CC recommend softer spring with more sag than say TFT spring calc, I am happy with my CC recommended rate but have increased all the damping over the base settings (obviously more gnar than the test riders) but you might end up wanting a higher rate, say.

Do stendec service CCDB then? I was under the impression Extra (importers) send em back to US for servicing which adds an obvious delay.

Trimix
    Free Member

Stendec service them – he takes it apart to change the internals and oil weight in the first place.

The Ti spring is supposed to be softer / more sensitive and less tightly wound. Given its a different metal Im not surprised it feels different.

I will have a few springs to try before I buy so should be able to pick the correct one.

Ive ordered it now and spanked my bank account, just need to wait a few days for the shock and a few weeks for the spring.

messiah
    Free Member

If a 400# x 2.5″ is of any use I have one sitting here you can borrow until your others arrive.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’d like a ti spring for my CCDB equipped covert, currently running a 600lb jobbie, how much would one of these Chu Kronos springs set me back?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Ti spring is supposed to be softer / more sensitive and less tightly wound. Given its a different metal Im not surprised it feels different.

The only benefit to a Ti spring is a slightly lighter weight & a lot lighter wallet. Don’t kid yourself it ‘feels’ any different.

A spring is a spring. At a given spring rate they all feel the same.

Do stendec service CCDB then? I was under the impression Extra (importers) send em back to US for servicing which adds an obvious delay.

Stendec used to, I believe they ‘were’ the appointed UK servicing agent, that has in reasonably recent times changed to TF Tuned, as Stendec, err, in the most polite sense, have a cheqeured past.

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-suspension?view=db-service-centers

There are two service and warranty centres Oxshox & tf and Stendec as a service centre list on the Cane Creek site, which was just updated.

extra are the Uk distributor so supply to shops, or not in my case as for some reason they don’t want to sell me the DB’s 😕
    As they become more popular as a standard fitment on bikes I expect they’ll start appearing as cheap O.E items so there should be some good deals around in the future

mildred

I’ve had from both Stendec & TFTuned.

Dave at Stendec was very helpful & set it to an approximate/medium setting. Told me to ring him anytime whilst out on trails if I’m having a setup ‘mare.

TFtuned set it up for me based on info’ I gave & it was perfect from the off. I never needed to touch it.

Worth bearing in mind that TF have £50 off at the moment.

Trimix
    Free Member

Hob Nob, thats interesting. I was recommended to use them by someone in the ‘trade’. I spoke at length to them and they gave a very good account of what they did and why, seemed competent and knowledgeable to me. I was happy to part with the money.

As for Ti springs; Im after a lighter spring and Im not paying for it so dont mind the price (its a present from my company)

With the research I did I found people stating the small bump sensitivity was better and others saying “High frequency response and improved suspension dynamics”. I didnt see hard evidence of this, just anecdotal, but they are made of different materials and so they would react differently even if they support the same load.

A few others claimed: Improved traction and handling: Titanium springs are lighter than steel and have less mass to accelerate each time the suspension activates. The lower mass system takes less energy to accelerate and decelerate. This allows the wheel to track terrain more accurately by reducing the “spring surge” which contributes to wheel hop. Many riders describe improved traction and control with the use of Titanium suspension springs.”

Seemes to make sence to me, but even if it dosent and its all marketing bollocks, I will claim the 10% placebo improvement 🙂

Oh, and lets not forget the extra 10% bling effect as well.

Trimix
    Free Member

messiah – thank for you kind offer, my shock is 190mm eye to eye with a 2″ stroke and I weigh 95 with kit on if thats yours I may take you up on the offer.

Then when the Ti one comes I will do a back to back no marketing bollocks test and let everyone know 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I was going mainly on the past, to be fair they may have sorted their act out now.

Regarding the spring, pretty much marketing b*llocks sadly. A spring at a given rate, requires a certain amount of pressure to compress it whether it be made of steel, Ti or cheese. The material its made from makes no difference to how it compresses or reacts. The difference in the weight makes sod all difference to how it works, just means it weighs a bit less.

I would imagine on a short shock & heavy spring rate such as yours, there will be very little weight saved either. The bigger savings come into effect the bigger the spring.

Placebo is a different story though!

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

i just got mine back from stendec last week as the 2 valves were broken and needed replaced ,done a perfect job

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Trimix ox shox is witney way so within visiting distance. Interesting.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hob Nob, in addition to them being lighter I can confirm my springs will also make you 27.54% more awesome 😉

also some tech stuff from Springtime/I chu spring guys, the stuff refering to the unsprung mass does make a difference, however you’d need a dyno to measure it :

http://www.springtime.vg/titanium-2.html

choron
    Free Member

Ti spring stuff is quite interesting, is the “increased frequency response” talked about the results of lower density (i.e. increased natural frequency) or is the response flatter over a wider range of frequencies?

Also, what is the difference in natural frequencies for steel and Ti? Although this stuff sounds good it’s difficult to know if this should be noticeable without some numbers.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well I hope to gain from the weight difference and the placebo / bling effect 🙂

The stuff I read when researching it leads me to believe the small difference that MAY be there is likely to be due to;

– less weight (measureable fact)
    – Ti spring is wound less tightly than steel, so it suffers a much smaller change in angle. (That may equate to greater sensitivity)

It also seems that the tollerances between suppliers vary massively, one suppliers 300lb is anothers 320lb. I hope to try more than one so I get the sag set just right.

But lets face it, when money is not an issue its hard not to buy Ti 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

First ride with Ti springs front and back tonight, and I certainly felt the whole 55.08% more awesome going on.

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats good to hear then, Im sold 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

The bike was alright too. I can’t explain the physics of how the Ti springs make the rider so awesome, they just do :mrgreen:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I have Ti sprung forks ready to fit so I suppose I have to get a ti spring for my ccdb to balance the awesomeness then….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cane creek double barrel – where from advice sought’ is closed to new replies.