Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • candy mallets – any good?
  • tobykd
    Free Member

Hi, I ride a ss a lot and was looking for a larger okatform than the standard candy i ride with. All revoews i have seen say the mallets blow up quickly due to poor seals. Anyone have a contra view? not sure which ones to get, but do nto want to if they are that poor, particularly in winter. thanks

richpips
    Free Member

My experience, don't bother.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I had a set which were great with no issues for a long time…..

then the axle snapped in the middle at SSUK09 (2pure do you want it?)

great design idea badly executed

zeus
    Free Member

I have trashed two sets of Crank Bros in the last 12 months – that's a pretty shoddy record in anyone's books, I think – and am now instead trying Time ATACs, which I've heard are pretty good.

Cheers

————–
    Live fast, take chances!
    http://www.iRideAfrica.com

BigJohn

I ride SS a lot and I use Time Z Freeride for better foot stability and the ability to start off uphill if you don't manage to clip in first time. I love them to bits and they're sensibly priced. They last forever and can be serviced if you're fussy.

Parker International usually have them cheap.

2pure
    Free Member

If anyone ever has any issues they just need to get in touch – we don't bite and can fix up pretty much anything – info@2pure.co.uk

Spindles tend to only snap if the pedals have never seen grease but without seeing any of these pedals with problems I cant really comment.

fozzybear
    Free Member

as much as i thank 2pure for all their help repairing my CB pedals over the years i've sold them all..

i've bent and snapped spindles, destroyed bearings and worn out "wings" in times that no one would believe. 2pure always fixed them with no complaints (although they like to claim a lack of maintenance for most failures i personally believe that the CB pedal needs excessive looking after when compared to other spd's on the market). i had a candy come off still attached to my foot not 3 months old, only to be told i didn't grease them (i didn't, they were new in the box and 3 months old.. who'd have thought you needed the grease a brand new pedal out the box! i would have expected them to come pre greased and needed topping up after 6 months)

granted there are lots of people who love them (i love the float and the fact my knees were ok after riding on them) and will claim to never look after them or have any issue. for me having owned 2 mallet M's and 2 candy CL's and basically swapping like for like as 2pure etc repaired the broken pair i got bored… of dealing with a good (sorry great) idea poorly executed. grease ports needed, better seals needed, better bearings needed (maybe less so if the seals were good) stronger axle needed (i'm 12st on and bent one and snapped another) i could live with the wing's cutting into my shoes (with sole savers to protect and help clip in) but not the rest.

shimano don't have enough float for me and hurts my knees. Gone back to flats.

2pure
    Free Member

i guess they aren't for everyone and it's nice there is so much choice out there for riders

richpips
    Free Member

I'll bite.

Time pedals last for years without any maintenance. You can't buy maintenance kits for them, they just don't need them. A design that requires constant maintenance when many others in the market place need little if any, is fundamentally flawed.

2pure
    Free Member

I'm not trying to get people to bite, I initially offered assistance to the 2 people who had problems – apologies if I have in someway offended you Rich

richpips
    Free Member

You've not offended me, and you have indeed offered help. I'm not having a go at you just the pedals. 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Acids are my pedal of choice – teamed up with Shimano DX shoes 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

ive used crank bros for years currently have three pairs of eggies three candies two of the roadie ones and a set of mallets. Bit of grease every now and then no probs. Ive snapped two eggbeater in the past but that was down to me hitting rocks. Never bothered rebuilding as ive chucked them when bearings go but they last long enough for the money to me. I wont be moving to any other brand anytime soon

fozzybear
    Free Member

can i just say 2pure are a good bunch, helpful and fast with CB pedals..

i personally wouldn't want 2pure to appear bad as they do a great job of supporting a product i personally feel has some issues that need addressing.

tobykd
    Free Member

thanks one and all – massive help. I only have one Q – Time pedals – do they have as much float as CB? This is indeed one part of the CBs I really like a lot. Shimano hurt my knees too. anyone know if you get decent movement from times? thanks everyone for your thoughts, good to know 2pure are on the money too.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Time atac excellent pedals, float is less but they are deffo as nice on the knee's as CB. i rode my brothers, not a fan of the clip in/out personally and but this time i was pee'd off with spd's

BigJohn

Time have a LOT of float but the combo of new pedals and cleats can cause a few anxious moment when unclipping. As soon as they are worn a bit they're fine.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I went a year on Crank Brothers. I tired Candy's and Acids, the Acids seemed to last the best.

I think they really could be the best system in terms of feel in normal riding situations – if they sorted bearing life and sorted cleat life.

That said, they're a pig to get out of in a SPD moment. Something about the lifting and twisting nature make them want to clamp tighter instead of release.

I'm back on Shimanos now but I do miss the clipping in and the actual riding on CBs (when you aren't doing super techie climbs or riding in a slow group!)

2pure – the cleat bolts are a joke btw, so shallow and far to easy to round off no matter how well you service the cleats and bolts. The hex interface need be just a few mm deeper!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘candy mallets – any good?’ is closed to new replies.