• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cancelling sold items on ebay
  • DT78
    Free Member

So, had a bundle of stuff up for sale when the password cock up on ebay happened. Everything went for way less than expected, including several items for 99p. Bit annoyed but I packaged it all up, and then ebay sends an email apologizing for its fairly monumental cock up and that sellers can cancel auctions due to the problems.

Thing is it doesn’t say how to in the mail. On the help centre it says you need to agree with the buyer to cancel.

Anyone doing this at the moment?

iolo
    Free Member

Put it this way. If you went into a contract to pay for an item for 99 pence would you want to let that bargain go?

bruneep

So why did the password cock up cause your items not sell as well as you expected? If I was a buyer of something I’d be a bit pissed that you wanted to dodge out of a sale due to that.

kcal

I assume bidding activity was down over the period, either folk ‘locked out’ or others simply not logging in out of choice..

DT78
    Free Member

From ebay

As we announced last week, because of the cyberattack on our corporate information network discovered earlier this month, we are now prompting all eBay users to change their passwords when they log in or before they complete a transaction.

We have no evidence that financial information was accessed or compromised, or that this attack affected PayPal accounts or any PayPal financial information, which is encrypted and stored on a separate secure network.

However, this attack compromised a database containing encrypted eBay user passwords. As always, we have strong protections in place for both buyers and sellers in the event of any unauthorised activity and we are applying additional security to protect our customers. As a precautionary step, we are also asking all users to change their passwords.

If you haven’t yet changed your password, please do so now so that you can continue listing and doing business on eBay. Go to My eBay>Account>Personal/Business Information>Account Information>Password>Edit. If you have more than one eBay account, you will need to change the password for each of them. If you changed your password on 21 May or later, we do not need you to take any additional action at this time.

If you used the same password for eBay and any other site, we encourage you to change your password on those sites, too. As a matter of best practice, the same password should never be used across multiple sites or accounts.

Additional protections for sellers with auction-style listings

We recognise that the password reset may temporarily interrupt the normal bidding process for buyers. We’re taking additional steps to ensure successful transactions for sellers:

• All listing and final value fees will be refunded automatically for auction-style listings that ended between 2:00 PM BST on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014, and 7:59 AM BST on Thursday, 22 May, 2014. Sellers will see these credits on their June invoice.

• Sellers can end any auction-style listings between 2:00 PM BST on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014, and 7:59 AM BST on Sunday, 1 June, 2014 and will receive a credit for all listing fees related to these listings on their June invoice.

• Sellers can also cancel any transactions from auction-style listings that ended in a sale between 2:00 PM BST on Wednesday, 21 May 2014, and 7:59 AM BST on Sunday, 1 June provided the buyer paid with PayPal and we can verify through PayPal that the buyer’s full payment has been refunded.

Final value and listing fees will be credited on sellers’ June invoice and any associated defects or negative buyer feedback removed. These protections will be applied automatically. The transaction must be cancelled within the above timeframe to qualify for the credit and defect/feedback removal.

We will also be communicating with the winning bidder for any cancelled auction-style transaction during this time period to ensure they continue to have great buyer experiences on eBay.

We apologise for any inconvenience or concern this situation may cause. Nothing is more important to us than the security and trust of every customer in our global marketplace. We know you have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device. More information and updates are available at info.ebayinc.com.

Thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,

Jacob Aqraou
    Senior Vice President, eBay Marketplaces Europe

DT78
    Free Member

Bidding is way down, if you had any autobid software it probably didn’t work due to them forcing a reset. Each item was about £20 less than expected. A couple of items which weren’t too far off the usual sold prices I’ve sent. Others I’m cancelling I’m afraid. From what I can tell ebays ‘help’ is out of date. It says look for ‘resolve a problem’ in the drop down next to the sold item. That option isn’t there.

DT78
    Free Member

If anyone else needs to do this this is the relevant page in the resolution centre – you need the item number. The case is automatically approved, presumably because they are expecting loads.
    http://res.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CreateDispute&DisputeReason=2

ourmaninthenorth

Ah, that explains why a couple of items went “cheap” in the last week. Oh well, posted them already and not out of pocket.

DT78
    Free Member

I was around £200 less than expected overall, so not pocket money.

Probably the final straw with ebay… people trying it on, ridiculous fees and now security breaches (and trying to hide it)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cancelling sold items on ebay’ is closed to new replies.