Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cancelling membership of kid's club – can they charge a penalty?
  • wooobob

Just got a letter from the company that runs a club I took my lad along to. We’d signed up to join, paid the first month, then it’s on a rolling direct debit. After a month, decided it wasn’t for us, so cancelled DD, with a view to taking back the uniform, job’s a good’un.

I then received a letter – evidently, when I signed up, I signed something which said I’d give them one month’s written notice or pay a cancellation fee of one month’s payment. I don’t think this was explained – it certainly wasn’t made clear.

I plan on going in to take back the kit, but I’m not entirely convinced that I should be required to pay this fee. Any ideas? Have I got a leg to stand on?

m0rk
    Free Member

Got a copy of what you signed?

wooobob

Yep, it says as much on the back. Never thought to read the small print, to be honest! Seems a bit draconian. I could try to get a medical certificate to show we can’t come any more… It’s only a weekend kung fu thing!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Loads of clubs do this as they are just a scam
    you signed so you need to pay I assume
    My advice is turn up and be a pain in the arse each week till you are no longer a member- ignore insturction etc

Careful now though as annoying a sensai might not be as much fun as you think 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Just tell the guys that run the Kung Fu club to **** off. If they so much as answer you, tell them you will put their car windows through if they speak again. Then follow through on it.

br
    Free Member

Seems reasonable, you’d a place for next month, so they want payment for it.

johndoh
    Free Member

You didn’t bother to read the small print that clearly set out the terms of the contract?

Tough titties. Give them the money and bother to read the contract you sign next time.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Not got a leg to stand on.

But, on the other hand, if you just ignore them they are hardly likely to take it further.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Yes its a typical scam, no they arent likely to take it further and you may argue ucta etc but honestly if you have their uniform and just canned the dd ‘with a view’ to return it you prob. need to show a little more respect. If you ran a small business/club you’d soon be on here moaning about apathetic non paying customers.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s not a scam though is it?

They will need to fill the place you had committed your child to and it may take them a month. Or 6 months.

I think the OP is being entirely unreasonable in thinking he shouldn’t have to pay just because he couldn’t be bothered to read the terms to which he signed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s only a weekend kung fu thing!

LOL bring your best bombers and call it best of 3?
    Read what you sign, if not pay for what you didn’t bother to read.

bigG
    Free Member

You failed to read the small print, and because of that you want to tell them to stuff it?

Put yourself in their shoes and ask the question, what’s the answer?

Pay up, and learn the lesson

st

Had this with my daughters kick boxing class. We just ignored it and nothing came of it. Friends lad did the same and after a phone call was told that they probably wouldn’t bother pursuing it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sure, but just because they don’t pursue it doesn’t mean that you don’t owe them. You signed up for it and promised to pay it.just be a man of your word. Really simple

bigyinn
    Free Member

The only reason they don’t bother to pursue it is because it will cost them more to do so.
    You signed an agreement and agreed to their T&Cs when you signed. Lifes tough, but perhaps you’ve learned something.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sure, but just because they don’t pursue it doesn’t mean that you don’t owe them. You signed up for it and promised to pay it.just be a man of your word. Really simple

Or put more succinctly – be a man.

🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

Obviously not a scam, seems no-one wants to read the small print and then they are suprised when they are expected to honour the contract they signed.

Used to have this with my freelance clients (web stuff) which was easily dealt with, no pay no service.

I suspect the OP will just ignore it but maybe they’ve learned a lesson re: small print.

konabunny
    Free Member

Does it describe it as a penalty?

hora
    Free Member

Taking back the uniform.

Did you pay for this? If not, you can see why they have a notice period etc. Its to cover their costs if someone walks away from a figures/worked-out cost effective for all deal.

Our lads going boxing. Karate is pointless as self-defence for 99% of people. If its for fitness get him to play out/ride a bike.

tonyd

Pay up. Sure they might not pursue it if you don’t but, as above, you signed a contract and committed your son to their club. In return they ensure there is a hall for you to go to with an instructor in it, and provide you with kit.

Not everything is run for profit, and a lot of small clubs are run on a shoestring thanks largely to goodwill from the local community so by not paying you could be losing them money, which will then have to be re-couped from the kids that do attend.

It’s quite possible the contract you signed without reading is there to protect the club from losing money and potentially going bust to the detriment of others, rather than fleecing innocent salt of the earth types out of their hard earned.

st

All good and well guys but my post was intended to answer my understanding of woobob’s original question with my own relevant experience rather than a show of who’s got the biggest wang or can hold their heads highest down at the golf club.

wooobob

I’ll take a cheque along. I just feel it’s a bit of a strongarm tactic, and it could have been clearer. They only said that it was a rolling direct debit payment for insurance reasons, and although he wasn’t overly keen on us signing up for a month or two to try it out, he didn’t explain the notice period.

Point taken – lesson learned!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cancelling membership of kid's club – can they charge a penalty?’ is closed to new replies.