Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • ‘Canadian’ beer – any in UK?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Specifically Labatt 50.
    Discussed it with an Ontarian Canuck at a party last night, and decided that the notion of having it available somewhere in this beer-loving nation of ours was not beyond the realms of possibility.
    So, might any of you good people know a source in UK, preferably west-coast of central Scotland?
    Hungover right now, so not a priority, but for the future….

Cheers

Surfr
    Free Member

I’d love to get ahold of some Traditional Ale from Big Rock brewery but I somehow think I’ll be out of luck.

conkerman
    Free Member

Molson.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I made a point of sampling as much Canadian beer as I could when I was there (purely out of courtesy of course) and rapidly came to the conclusion 95% of it is pish. We really are spoiled here with such a great variety of local and European beers I dont think I’ll bother drinking anything brewed by our North American cousins.

I realise that doesnt answer your question, but I felt the need to express myself.

Nick

You’ll miss out on some interesting brews then, plenty of good beers from North America, Stone in particular, some of Sierra Nevada’s brews are good too.

I think the’ve got fed up with crap beer over there and real ale is becoming increasingly popular. There’s half a dozen brew pubs in New York alone.

Still, back to the op, never found anything worth drinking from Canada, although I suspect there is plenty, be suprised if it was Labatts though.

Popocatapetl

I have Lived in Alberta for some periods of time over the last 20 odd years. Quite a few of the Canuck brands can now be found in your local off licence- Labatts blue, Molson Canadian, Kokanee, Coors, i’ve even found Moose head in the local Bargain booze!

Surfr
    Free Member

ooh Rickards Red was another one I liked. But nos as much as Trad.

IWH
    Free Member

With all the good beers available from Canada and the US why did you have to pick something made by Labbatts?! :p

Sleemans is still available through John Lewis / Waitrose and good independent off licences (if you can find one).

Try to find some Boont from the Anderson Valey Brewing Company. That stuff is fantastic.

Sierras Nevada Fat Tire is great post ride beer (ahem, if you’re of that inclination, I’m not encouraging it or owt).

Hmmm. I’m off to order some Boont.

nbt

I know one of the trendy places in Chorlton does Sleeman’s Honey Brown, a very very nice ale we discovered on our last trip to Fernie. You often get Sierra Nevada beers in our local Sainsbury

nbt

Sleemans is still available through John Lewis / Waitrose/

whoops missed that, right I’m off to Waitrose tomorrow I think!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

somewhere in this beer-loving nation of ours

Think Gnargnar has it about right, although I must say, I’ve not tasted a great range of Canadian stuff.

There’s praps a good reason why we don’t import much North American stuff. It is mostly pish, it has to be said. And I doubt you’d find many outlets selling niche micro-brewery stuff; there’s plenty of fantastic beers over here, why import stuff that is generally inferior?

Support the British Economy!!

walleater

Winter Ale and Honey Lager are pretty good in a different sort of way, but again I don’t know why any Brit would want to drink Canadian lager out of preference.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/

this is what you need, have had sleemans form there before 🙂

sleemans is sometimes available on tap in the Maple Leaf canadian pub in Covent Garden

truly a king amongst beers

closest UK made lager i have found is Cains

sobriety
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to drink kokanee? It’s the canuck equivalent of carling!

beamers

I quite enjoyed Kokanee, especially in 2007 when they were putting the details of various mountainbike resorts on the back of the bottles:

The offerings from the Fernie Brewing Company were my favourite though:

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I thought kokanee was for snorting!

(geddit? coke and E? No? Hello? Anyone there?)

Actually, the Labatt 50 was considered, by my younger acquaintances whilst ‘studying’ in Canada, to be an old man’s beer as it was darker and more flavoursome than a lot of the regular N American style beers. My european upbringing gave me an appreciation of this beer, and in fact it seemed more popular in the province of Quebec with its more prominent european heritage.
    Thanks for the advice onsourcing things though, and I’ll check ’em out.

voodoo_chile

ontario one called ‘lakeport ‘ not bad but really the beer in canada is expensive your best bet is to smuggle over the border in the US it is 1980’s prices

jedi

a few pubs have sleemans on tap

having sampled loads of canadian brewerys some of the dark beers are lovely
    .alexander keats is nice ice cold
    sleeman honey brown for the win

scruff
    Free Member

Sleemans honey is lovely, got into that in Fernie then started having Waggle Dance back here.
    Candian lager is elk pi55.

Kuco

Mooseheads been available for some years on tap in some london pubs and don't half give me one hell of a hangover. Kokanee = Carlsberg imo 🙁

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Kokanee gold or sleemans brown mmmmmmm.

Served very cold, by a very hot lady in a very short skirt at the bar next to the whistler bike park chairlift. In the sun. After a days ripping. Perfection

iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

They sell (or sold) Kokanee in my local morrisons. never tried it but remember a mate pointing it out

grumm
    Free Member

There's some nice beers in Canada but the mainstream ones are pretty rank imo.

Some of these are nice

http://www.gib.ca/

atlaz
    Free Member

Kokanee is watery crap only drinkable on a REALLY hot day. The gold isn't too bad though.

MikeT – There's some places that sell moosehead online -> http://www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk/beer/403/

john_drummer
    Free Member

There's a brewery in English Harbour, Vancouver that does some nice stuff. Doubt if you can get it here though

iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

not really canadian but this place is awesome for "across the pond" food and drinks including lucky charms

http://www.americansoda.co.uk

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Sierras Nevada Fat Tire is great post ride beer (ahem, if you're of that inclination, I'm not encouraging it or owt)

Fat Tire isn't a Sierra Nevada beer–made by the New Belgium Brewing Co. in Colorado.

It's great after a long day finishing up with Joe's Ridge in Fruita under the hot desert sun.

DrJ

"O'Keefe is here it's better than beer, O'Keefe is here".

Advertising jingle I've spent quarter of a century trying to forget. Thanks a lot 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

Generally I'd say Canadian beer isn't as good as the US microbrews but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Drink cases of fat tyre, rogue etc every summer and can't get enough of the stuff.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Hey, I'd completely forgotten about this thread! Nice to see it back.

In the year since it appeared, my tastes have focussed on more homegrown brews, namely Samuel Smith's Stout, or any of the organic Black Isle Brewery range (a cool Blonde on a hot day – joyous!).

Even in the supermarket/offie I'll try the 'crafted' ales over mass-lagers on special offer.
    I must be over the Canadian thing. If I'm ever there again, I'll keep an eye out for the good stuff you guys have suggested.

Cheers

voodoo_chile

rickets red top brew

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘‘Canadian’ beer – any in UK?’ is closed to new replies.