Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Canada, anyone went and not enjoyed it?
  • martymac

hey folks, following on from my visit to ottawa in 2012, my wife has a possible 2-4 year contract ‘somewhere in western canada’
    she will be provided with housing/flights out and back.
    i would need to pay for my own flights and get a work permit, i can afford this.
    now i loved my trip to canada, and id love to go back again. (it was february, i love the cold)
    my question is, has anyone moved out there and not liked it?
    i must be honest, im interested, and mainly because im sick of the weather here in uk.

EDIT: what bike for canada?

peterfile
    Free Member

Pablo Escobar apparently.

His brother mentions in his book that Canada was the only nation his cartel tried to crack which proved to be impossible. Allegedly it was because the couldn’t corrupt one single official!

HTH.

martymac

lol, thanks for the input bud.

Garry_Lager

It’s such a vast place that it really depends on what ‘somewhere in western canada’ means. BC or Western Alberta then pack your bags. Mid-Western Canada, though, that’s a tough sell. I mean it might be a 4 yr contract in Saskatoon.

martymac

yes, we need to get more info tbh.
    it will be somewhere with a mcdonalds, as thats who my wife works for.

BearBack
    Free Member

I just bought a car off a Brit who’d moved out here along with his phillipino wife and child to work for the Canadian division of the bank he worked for in the uk.
    He managed 4 years before deciding to move back as he wasn’t impressed with what Canada offered them.
    Sadly, they lived in a big faceless town up the Fraser valley and hadn’t travelled far from home.. Wife preferred shopping malls to the immense natural beauty on their door step.
    I see why it wasn’t everything he expected, so when you do come, ‘grab the experience by the balls’ and do as much as you can.
    The fact you’re a mountain biker is a great start.

Selecting where you want to be is key… Skip the east and south Vancouver suburbs and either do small town bc or downtown/north/west van.

martymac

to be fair, if all the poor bugger saw was shopping malls and the centre of a city its no surprise he didnt enjoy it.
    if we can make it happen, i fully intend to see as much as possible, stuff shopping malls, ive seen those already.

BearBack
    Free Member

In a corporate position or as a sandwiches artiste?
    Corp maccy D’s is Burnaby but I’d want to commute into Burnaby, not live there.

martymac

shes currently a store manager.

JCL
    Free Member

Canada is awash with fast food restaurants. She’ll have ample employment opportunities.

john_drummer
    Free Member

my sister went in ’82. Came back briefly in the 90s but couldn’t settle here.
    she now lives in Calgary, having spent most of the time in either Edmonton, High Prairie or Peace River. She wouldn’t come back to the UK again other than to visit

rondo101
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it rains more in BC than it does in the UK, so the weather might not be the improvement you were after.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d imagine the climate in Vancouver, Victoria etc in particular to be very similar to the UK climate, being as they’re both on the eastern edge of a big amount of water, fairly high latitude.
    FWIW when I was over there for 2 weeks in 2009 the weather was as good as, if not better, than anything we’ve had here since, other than that week in March last year…

1 week in Canmore – well it’s in the mountains, got to expect some weather. Mostly dry, partially cloudy with 2 days when it rained a bit
    2 nights in Calgary. Sunny & dry
    1 night in Kamloops. Sunny, dry and very hot (38degC at 6pm)
    3 nights in Vancouver. Sunny & dry
    1 night at Lake Louise. sunny & dry.
    all the time spent driving between Calgary, Vancouver & back – sunny & dry.

Although the requirement for winter tyres and/or snow chains from October to April might hint at another kind of weather 😉

plumber
    Free Member

Oops

plumber
    Free Member

Canada generally pretty nice

Canadians generally complete rhymes with tankers

If I didn’t know exactly where I was going I definitely wouldn’t go

However if its Nelson BC or rossland BC I’d be prepared to give it a shot

Coyote
    Free Member

Quite the opposite of my experience, maybe you were just unlucky or maybe you need to take a look at yourself…

Love Canada. Would move there tomorrow if I could.

plumber
    Free Member

I lived there so I made my own judgement

Perhaps when you have lived there you can let me know how you found it

JCL
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it rains more in BC than it does in the UK, so the weather might not be the improvement you were after.

Micro climates everywhere here. Vancouver is a temperate rainforest so gets nearly double London’s rainfall but 4 hours drive away into the interior is a desert.

voodoo_chile

Been to Ontario ,Manitoba ,Saskatchewan,and Alberta all very different loved Ontario and Manitoba , Saskatchewan didn’t see enough to make an opinion but wassnt a fan of Calgary ,Alberta much different vibe than central and eastern Canada IMHO

Rorschach
    Free Member

Walleater offa here has been there 10 years(ish).It’s hard to work out whether he likes it or not because he’s such a miserable shyster all the time.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got family over there so have spent quite a bit of time in Vancouver. Always found the folk warm and friendly.

I’ve lived in a few different parts of the UK and have never had such a bad experience whereas I would generalise all the residents of a particular area as ****.

Examples plumb?

matt_outandabout

‘somewhere in western canada’

That needs narrowing down – could be somewhere like Prince Rupert..

_tom_
    Free Member

Not quite the same but I did a summer in whistler and it was incredible, didnt want to come home but I couldn’t get a job. In hindsight I dunno whether I could’ve stuck out the long winter anyway, but the summer was better than any British summer I’ve known – one day of rain in August! Friendly people though at times it could feel a bit cliquey in Whistler.

Would love to live there and being a mountain biker youd be daft not to imo. Gonna try to get more experience in my field and try to figure out some way of securing a job out there (would prob need to be van rather than whis for my industry) before moving, rather than flying by the seat of my pants like last time!

badllama
    Free Member

My brother and gf spent 12 months over there loved it being into his biking helped 😀 His daily commute was up and down Whistler Bike Park lift in the morning ride down in the afternnon, used to watch the bears from his office window 😀

He loved it BUT where he was, cost of living was crazy! Tourist town and all of that. He and his gf were on 12 month work visas so had to come back regardless once it was up. They really enjoyed it over there though.

note of reference _tom_ they found finding work very difficult and nearlly jacked it but his gf found a job just to keep them going my brother really struggled though.

13thfloormonk

I’m here in Vancouver, mostly enjoying it but still see myself returning to Scotland in a year or two.

The weather is an improvement, at least its properly seasonal over here and I enjoyed 3 months of sunshine with literally only two or three days of rain last summer. Even when it does rain its still relatively warm and there’s not much wind.

Biking is awesome, this goes without saying. I’ve had a pretty bad run of luck personally, bike being stolen, injuries etc. but if you choose your location well then you could be biking awesome trails any evening of the week. Be expected to have an opinion about trail maintenance though, its quite a divisive topic depending on who you speak to!

Road biking looks pretty tedious, its either in the city or along the side of super busy highways. I’m sure there’s good stuff out here but I prefer the sheer wealth of winding hilly singletrack roads we have back in Scotland. I’ve not even bothered buying a road bike out here and I probably won’t.

I think owning a car is the secret to really making the most of things here. I don’t, and don’t intend to buy one, but that limits me a lot as the public transport infrastructure outside of the city is almost non-existent. I don’t really blame them, the country is too big to try and maintain the service we have in the UK, but I miss being able to plan hllwalking/biking trips around convenient train or bus stops and regular service.

Oh, and its expensive out here, but I’m trying to juggle expensive sports and an expensive girlfriend in one of the world’s most expensive cities, so I shouldn’t be surprised!

Trekster

because im sick of the weather here in uk.

Just had an e-mail from our friends in Canada, clearing 6 ft of snow from drive etc earlier this month! Been snowing all year

Garry_Lager – Member
    It’s such a vast place that it really depends on what ‘somewhere in western canada’ means. BC or Western Alberta then pack your bags. Mid-Western Canada, though, that’s a tough sell. I mean it might be a 4 yr contract in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon is where my friends moved to from Edin. They did however go there due to getting work, accom and assistance with other costs due to mates type of work. They have now got Canadian citizenship which was one of the considerations about going to Sas and taking the job. We went out for 3wks and would not be too keen to go back. During the summer you cannot go outdoors without spraying yourself with fly spray/killer and need to carry a can and reapply frequently 🙄 In winter the snow can start as early as Nov and last through to May. Winter tyres/wheels are mandatory. Lots of stuff we take for granted over here can be hard work over there.

They have since moved down to Mouse Jaw which is a much nicer town 😆

Like a lot of other countries if you are Scottish then doors seem to open ❗

Oh,and its expensive out here, but I’m trying to juggle expensive sports and an expensive girlfriend in one of the world’s most expensive cities, so I shouldn’t be surprised!

This was something that surprised me. The price of some foods and the fact that some stuff was only delivered once per month! The massive rail fright/trains with huge China logos on them would appear to show Canada relies on them a lot for goods.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went in 2000 & everyone I met without exception was warm & friendly (most actually said ‘welcome to Canada’ once they found out I was a Brit on holiday) This was Alberta.

Maybe It’s not them who are ‘tankers’?

plumber
    Free Member

Examples plumb?

Lets go for a beer I’ve got loads of stories I could bore myself to tears with

deserter
    Free Member

Although generalizing I know where plumber is coming from, it makes a big difference if you work in Canada you get to see how ‘they’are a bit more then, you have to hear them speak about someone not in the room to understand it which you aren’t privy to visiting, it’s part of the culture to be extremely nice to your face even if they don’t like you

That being said I love it here and the opportunities are incredible, what do you do? My misses has found it hard as you have no qualifications or experience here if your not the one being imported

_tom_
    Free Member

note of reference _tom_ they found finding work very difficult and nearlly jacked it but his gf found a job just to keep them going my brother really struggle though.

Yep it’s all customer service/bar work in Whistler, neither of which I have experience in, so I really struggled. I had an interview for a job I do have experience/degree in and still got turned down due to a more experienced candidate being available – would’ve been amazing if I could’ve done that job (cameraman/editor for resort tv stuff). Like I said hoping theres some way I can sort a job first, not really sure how I’d go about doing that but I have way more experience now!

I think owning a car is the secret to really making the most of things here. I don’t, and don’t intend to buy one, but that limits me a lot as the public transport infrastructure outside of the city is almost non-existent.

Not sure if you’ve read this article but may be useful for you?

http://www.nsmb.com/4005-car-free-freeriding/

slinkybike
    Free Member

I lived and worked in B.C for a year and I would have to say I found Canadians a bit odd. Alot of them grow up in quite small communities and have pretty bad social skills and can be quite small minded.

But the landscape and opportunities for sport are amazing and the few open minded Canadians that I did meet where pretty cool.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Speaking as an expat in Oz at the moment I don’t think the problem is usually the people or the locations you choose to go to, it’s the fact that, no matter where you are, you still have to work for a living. If I can find a way of shortening my working week when we go back to the UK than I’ll be a happy man. As it is, if we settle here it would mean a big mortgage and a long working week.

JoeG
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

😉

shermer75
    Free Member

You’ve got to go, otherwise you’re going to spend the rest of your life wondering “hmmm, maybe we should have gone…”

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve been here for over 10 years now and living in the Whistler and service industry bubble for a good portion gets you into the service lead mindset and most people in the service industry are outwardly happy and interested.
    Its extremely rare that you would share a chairlift with a rude or ignorant Canadian… however, I’ve lived in Squamish for 5 years now and I’ve absolutely started to notice that older generation small town Canadians are often both rude and ignorant.
    I was brought up to hold a door open for the next person or open the door and let people through.. not so in small town canadia..Perhaps theres a resentment from old time residnets on having their town taken over by ex pats. however, those people that are active, enjoy to recreate and work to live as opposed to living to work are genuinely superb people and their outlook on life is refreshing and positive.

I’m certainly in a fortunate and relatively unique position as far as the lifestlye that I (just about) manage to afford for my family and there is 0% chance of me being able to provide that for us if we were living back in the UK.

There are places in BC that I wouldn’t contemplate living or even consider to offer any tangible lifestyle improvement over what life would be like if I hadn’t moved out here. I also think there are some absolutely stunning (and real life) places that are worth considering as a permanent move.
    For us, Squamish is an almost perfect balance…
    Surrey BC (Vancouver’s Mosside) would be a complete nightmare.

PS, Squamish’s MacDonalds just had a dual lane drive through and extensive reno.. aim for that location! Happy days 😉
    squamish – Canadas adventure capital

sweaman2
    Free Member

As above. You need to narrow it down a bit.

I’m in Calgary, have been for almost 4 years and can’t see myself coming back.

But it started snowing in October this winter and only stopped towards the end of April. That is a long winter if you do not ski or simmilar. I like the people but I mostly mix with bikers, skiers and climbers which is no different to the UK.

Any specific questions though feel free to ask. There are threads on here as has been done before.

alwillis

Spent 12 months working in burnaby and Vancouver in 2011-2012. Would go back as soon as either me or the mrs could get a proper job there. No idea where you guys have found unfriendly Canadians! Everyone we met was super helpful to the point we stopped asking questions as we were so embarrassed at the generosity!

If I had complete freedom I would maybe go to Vancouver island for the more rural lifestyle, more rain, and some of the most stunning mountain and coastline views anywhere in the world. The riding isn’t bad either!

shermer75
    Free Member

No idea where you guys have found unfriendly Canadians! Everyone we met was super helpful to the point we stopped asking questions as we were so embarrassed at the generosity!

My experience also.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Canada, anyone went and not enjoyed it?’ is closed to new replies.