Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Canada … advice?
  • BMC09
    Free Member

evening all….

am looking at getting myself off out to Canada for 6-12 months in 2012 (would love to get out next year, but financially it's too soon…) I have never lived/worked abroad before, but love the idea of it, and can accomplish loads when I pull my finger out.

As I'd be there a while, and would be working, I've had a look at the BUNAC scheme. It seems to fit some of the bill, but cannot apply for when I want to go yet…far too soon..

so my question/s is/are….
    – what should I really be looking at doing up till then (and where should I be looking)(courses, research etc…)
    – anyone got experience from doing it themselves and can shed some light

Thanks in advance..

zebardy
    Free Member

Went out there for 6 months after uni and stayed for a year. Great place. In fact it's where I started mountain biking. Personally I favour the west coast (alberta/bc). I went out there with bunac which simplified a few things. Vancouver is a great city if you want to get a proper job while you are out there. If you have some time before you go then try and find a job before you get there or plan to spend the first month as a semi tourist. Lots of options for unusual jobs out there (like a summer as a tree planter or a winter as a snow maker).

Did you have any plans or ideas for what you might want to do with your time out there?

plumber
    Free Member

Went last year for a year, didn't do it for me but if you like stupid people you should be good to go.

In any event living in another country is a great experience and certainly not to be missed.

Good luck with it

Plum

BMC09
    Free Member

Zebardy – well i would like to spend summer riding and winter boarding / sking (undecided which yet as can't do either…. gonna learn one before i go tho..) Job wise i havn't a clue yet.. am doing my courses at the moment for MTB instructor and some other outdoor education ones, so maybe something in that field. I have plenty of experience working bars and currently am a manager of one, but fancy a change, and abroad seems the best place to go and do this before I get lazy & 'old' (only 24 at the min tho 😛 ) Friend of mine did the winter season, loved it.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

plumber – Member
    Went last year for a year, didn't do it for me but if you like stupid people you should be good to go.

Plum

Care to elaborate? I'm also considering a move to Canada.

Trekster
    sweaman2
    Free Member

This isn't really in response to the OP as my experience is more of a long term move (currently). Been in Calgary for just over a year…

Not sure about the stupid people? My guess is line-ups outside Tim Hortons that defy belief and a lack of customer service in Calgary & the rockies plus an archaic banking / phone / utilities system?

Riding season is probably mid-may to end-september if you are lucky. This year we've had a ton of thunderstorms so it is UK wet on the trails currently – see the photos of the trans rockies for what it was like on Friday…

-30C is cold – fun for a while but when you can't pop across the street without wearing a full artic kit and even then your eyebrows freeze it gets a little tiring. I think if you plan on being here you really need to embrace winter; plan on skiing in all its forms (Nordic skiing is a bit like road riding but still okay); back country is good but you need a weeks training (realistically) to avoid avalanches. Except that the bikes are not going to be used.

There are no teashops – almost every ride will start from a trailhead somewhere down a gravel track miles from anywhere.

I think the biggest impediment is social – there are no real "clubs". Canadians do lots of stuff in tight groups and so breaking into those groups can be tough. The clubs that do exist are massivly over subscribed and so don't have the UK club feel. My wife and I have spent a lot of time doing stuff as a pair which is fun but in certain circumstances you would like a few more people or more experience.

Of course the advantages are obvious – I have the rockies on my doorstep.

Just think about what you want very carefully.. some of the rockies towns are very small and a season in (say Golden) might not be for everyone. It is >3 hours to almost everywhere and the ski hill is no-where near the size of an european alps one.

BMC09
    Free Member

thanks for the info so far… any more is much appreciated…. 🙂

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

I moved to Vancouver from London four months ago. So far I'm loving living here. It's a beautiful city with a constantly evolving bike lane network, great and easy access to spectacular outdoors, all year around riding and winter skiing/snowboarding, and a fantastic trail network if you like the techy stuff..which I do 😀

I haven't shared Plumber's experience regarding the locals. So far the majority of the people I've encountered have been friendly and far from "stupid". Of course there are buffoons here, but there are anywhere. Less out and out idiocy than I experienced in London by a long shot.

As far as work goes, I'm working in a bike shop, you could try something similar if you get here during early spring when some take on extra staff. The pay isn't great to start with, but you get to meet plenty of other people to ride with and show you all the best trails…and to make it a bit more comfortable riding in bear country 😯

It's expensive to live here on the west coast too, bear that in mind. It's been worth it so far though. Any more specific questions, fire away!

rs
    Free Member

Bar job in whistler. Is there really another option? Save up for your lift passes before you go.

walleater

If you like cheese then stay away. It's a bloody rip off over here.

zebardy
    Free Member

Lived in lake Louise (small village in the middle of the rocky mountains). Actually quite enjoyed the hour hitch hike down the highway to get to the nearest supermarket (hitch hiking back with a full load of shopping was interesting). I'd recommend doing both a summer and winter season. Winter out there is proper winter (ice experienced -45 c with the wind chill). Just accept winter is for ski/snowboard and summer is for bikes. Bar work is a good job if you can get it. The tipping culture out there means some bar staff can earn more than some professionals. Plus you work at night, so you can ride during the day.

In my experience it Is definitely worth thinking about when you go as spring is the time when there are the most jobs around.

BMC09
    Free Member

thanks guys… loads of help..
    MrFarrellsSodasuite & Zebardy– might have a few more Q's for you later on if you don't mind.. will email you if ok? both super helpful…

have plenty of experience with bar work and bikes, so either or, or both 😛 haha

walleater

There's plenty of bike shop work in the summer at least, but if you are only 'OK' when it comes to either wrenching or selling, expect to be laid off in November! So maybe find employment in that field now if you think you'd want to do that over here. Employers will still check UK references. I've been wrenching since October 2007 in Vancouver and am now working for a pretty reputable company, and while it's doubtful that I'll be able to retire at 40, the pay isn't too bad all things considered.
    Considering I was single and doing shit office work in the UK, and am now happily married, doing stuff I largely like, and a Permanent Resident in Canadialand, all through getting a BUNAC visa, I can think of worse things to do!

The price of cheese still sucks though.

scruff
    Free Member

Had your hair cut yet ?

chickenman

just back from a 3 week trip; people and country great! Only downer is their currency which hasn't dropped lately unlike everbody elses, so everything in the shops is 30% more expensive than here. Eating out, no main courses under £12 + tax + 15-20% gratuaties.

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

@BMC09, Sure, email's in my profile.

walleater

Nope, getting a full-on afro at the moment. Short hair is soooooo British 😉

walleater

Oh, another thing…..BC as a whole is a pretty amazing area with so many different ecosystems, so don't do who so many people so, and just stay in Whistler or Vancouver!

Trekster

Had a 3wk stay with friends in Prince Albert, Saskatchuan in July.
    Do not miss the mozzies or the coffee. Lots on Indian reserves so lots of beaten up cars and natives wandering around.
    Tim Hortons the Costa house of Canada, coffee just as bad.

There are no teashops – almost every ride will start from a trailhead somewhere down a gravel track miles from anywhere.

Bit of an understatement!! We travelled over 400ks to Moose Jaw and only saw 1 diner/petrol station 🙄 Rule around that area is be fuelled up for the journey, no half tanks. utes travel with their own spare tanks on the back 😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Canada … advice?’ is closed to new replies.