Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • can you use Stans olympic rim tape on non ztr rims?
  • riddoch

I have a mavic xc717 rim I want to run tubeless but instead of a standard rim tape I have an olympic rim tape. What is special about the olympic rim tape that (according to Stans website) should only be used on ZTR olympic/355 rims?

Northwind

Nothing really, but, is it going to work any better than electric tape? One of my Stans rims is taped with quality electric tape just now as I ran out of yellow, works just fine.

riddoch

ahh, replace everywhere where I said “tape” with “strip”

theotherjonv

Oddly, I’m just in the process of doing my Olympic rim and the only strip I could get my hands on quickly was a No flats strip.

Could do a swap?

riddoch

I have a ZTR 355 rim but I am going to give yellow tape and valve a go on that but I kind of want to hold of the olympic strip in case that doesn’t work out.
    Where did you get your noflats strip from, I had a quickk look and couldn’t find any in stock.

theotherjonv

bottom of my old tool box……… unused but not forgotten

scu98rkr
    Free Member

You really need to rewrite your question is not obvious what you want to do. Are you suggesting using Yellow tape on a xc717 rim ?

What is special about stans rims that you can use tape and not a rim strip.

I would imagine the answer is they are less likely to leak air and the renaming wholes are more easily blocked by only using rim tape.

By using a strip you almost create a direct bead with the tyre in fact I think you do.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s about getting the correct profile in the rim. Stans rims have the correct profile so only need thin tape to seal them. The 717 doesn’t have the correct profile so needs a rim strip to modify the profile and seal the spoke holes.

Some stans rims may need a particular strip with some tyres to stop the combination being too lose. This strip does change the profile, it just acts like really thick tape.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘can you use Stans olympic rim tape on non ztr rims?’ is closed to new replies.