Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can you help us identify collapsed cyclist?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/newsroom/can-you-help-us-identify-collapsed-cyclist/

We need help to identify and find the family of a cyclist who collapsed while out on his bike today (Sunday Dec 14).

The man who is in his 50s, white, around 5”9”, of slim build, clean shaven with short grey hair, was found in Landsdowne Lane in Bath at around 2.15pm today.

The man is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was wearing a grey jumper, dark corduroys, black gloves, blue football socks and black Specialized cycling shoes. He was wearing a wedding band and had a pair of glasses in his pocket but no identification.

His touring-style road bike is blue in colour and has the words World Panorama written on the frame. The bike also has a cycling computer on the handlebars, cats eye lights and a Giyo brand pump attached.

Anyone who recognises this description or thinks they may be able to help identify his family, please get in contact as soon as possible by calling 101 and asking for the duty sergeant in Bath.

eskay

*Bump*

My neck of the woods, don’t know him but someone on here may. Hope he is ok.

ampthill

So as a bump

Do you always carry id? I don’t. But I’m thinking I should.

Although if I collapse on the road the wife would be onto the phone and bugging the police by the end of the day

scandal42
    Free Member

I always carry id when riding on the road, not nice to think of the reason why but it could save a few people a lot of hassle and headache.

aracer
    Free Member

I pretty much always ride with a GPS. I’m hoping somebody might have the intelligence to work out where I started from. Though I guess I also always carry a phone which isn’t locked, which has “home” as one of the most frequent numbers.

amedias
    Free Member

bump, hope they ID him, family must be worried by now 🙁

FWIW, I normally always have ID on me if I’m out alone, and my phone’s wallpaper has my ICE contact super-imposed on it so even if locked should be visible.

EDIT – link in OP not working possibly identified now?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Couldn’t they use the cycle computer trip distance to work out possible streets where he may be from? If it had been started. Then knock door to door?. Hope he’s ok

crazy-legs

Bump – Can’t help with the request but for anyone else reading, try the Ride ID app (Android and Apple).
    You input your personal details then set it as wallpaper so it’s visible even when the phone is locked. Most phones now, you won’t get into to find an ICE or most frequent numbers.

Moses

He has now been identified & his family contacted, according to Bath police.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Cyclist-collapsed-Lansdown-Lane-Bath-identified/story-25712346-detail/story.html

richardthird

Please carry easily found paper based ID, or a wrist band.

A mate was knocked off his bike within a mile from his house, iphone thrown whilst mid air (and not located until the next day). By the time he was identified and wife found, he was 70 miles away on an operating table in St Georges. His wife had a 2-hour dash under blue lights there, all the while fearing the worst.

Luckily after a month in intensive care he’s making a full recovery.

teamslug
    Free Member

I carry a laminated copy of my driving licence and also use an app called RoadID which tracks your ride and if you dont move for a set time will text whoever your nearest and dearest or your wife!. free too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Glad to hear they ID’d him and also that he’s in a stable condition after a heart attack.

From my own experience of an off needing someone to contact a relative on my behalf, I do carry some form of ID, though just a scrap of paper with contact detail on it, even if I don’t have my usual wallet (as it takes up a lot of space). Also ICE on the lock screen of the phone along with contacts in the ICE group which is accessible when the phone is locked (Android). Still, as I discovered if the phone battery is low it replaces the message with a prompt to connect charger, and then the phone may die completely. The ICE contact feature isn’t obvious also.

So I’m planning on getting a dog tag type ID also.

Also strongly suggest letting someone know where you’ll be if you’re out on your own.

greenbailiwick
    Free Member

I have a sticker on the visor of my helmet with name address and blood type.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I agree that paper ID is better than relying on phone, but for iOS 8 users it’s worth knowing that you can access emergency information from the lock screen.

Key medical info you add to the Health App (e.g. blood type, spouse, whether you are an organ donor etc) is available by going into the emergency call screen and then clicking on Medical ID (bottom left). Granted it’s buried a bit deep to be of much use other than to those who know it’s there, but it’s another worthwhile thing to know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can you help us identify collapsed cyclist?’ is closed to new replies.