Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Can you have too much light?
  • votchy
    Free Member

Last night cycling to meet my mate I was blinded by the cyclist coming the opposite way, we were on a shared cycle path across a park, he was running 2 HID's on his bars set straight ahead and also 2 lights of equal power to his HID's on his helmet, I was running L&M Li-On Arc ultra on low setting (10w) with the centre of the beam approx 5m in front of me. His lights were so bright I clattered in to overhanging branches that I couldn't see even though I had slowed to about 5mph. The cycle path we were on joins a bus route about 1/4 mile after we passed so he must've come from there and would hence have dazzled drivers as well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can't have too much light, but it seems you can have too much money…. 😉

snaps
    Free Member

I find that just over 2000 lumens is enough to enable me to ride as fast at night as I do in the daytime, but I've made a lot of adjustments to the shape & throw of the beam patterns.
    Some of these home brew lights have beam patterns with halos & hotspots that give horrible glare when used in anger.
    When there is a chance of dazzling someone, I've got a special setting that turns off the spot beams & reduces the flood beam (that points down a few metres in front of the wheel) to its lowest setting & before I had that I've put my hand over the lights.
    My helmet light is a strong narrow beam but easily pointed down by tilting my head a few degrees.
    My future projects will be to reduce the size of my lights & batteries whilst maintaining the beam & run time rather than just blasting out more lumens.

DezB
    Free Member

Some folk obviously don't enjoy proper night riding and need it to be daytime all the time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pahhh!!!!!!!! I wont be happy untill all the plants are dead because my lights are so bright they'r convinced it springtime in mid January.

Just wait for that 7000lumen LED to come down in price (and power consumption) and we'll be off again, theres only been a lull because everyones bene using p7's for a while, pretty soon 900lumens wont be enough anymore.

Gary_M
    Free Member

proper night riding

What do you mean by proper night riding? Is your riding in the dark any different from mine apart from the fact that I probably ride a lot more miles in the dark than you. And when I do I like to see where I'm going.

Running a troutlight at the moment which is around 2000 lumens and whilst I can't really see me needing any more light I'm not saying it won't happen when new leds come on the market and Trout offers an upgrade service.

In the dry 2000 lumens is amazing, in the wet then maybe more would be good.

glenp
    Free Member

You can if the rider to too selfish and arrogant to not bother turning it down when not needed and other people are about. I encountered two guys recently – I couldn't see a thing because their lights were so bright. I just said "you might be able to see, but no-one else can", to which they laughed – I did point out that I was trying to make a serious point, but fell on deaf ears.

Fair enough, when you get to the fun singletrack bit then let it have full power, but why not just turn down to a modest, unobtrusive sort of normal torch power when you are just trundling along?

To be honest I just think it is a townie attitude – their home patch is lit up with street lights and it doesn't occur to them that its just wrong to light up the countryside without need.

MicArms

Votchy, you didn't injure yourself again clattering into the branches?
    How are the ribs holding up?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Discussed the very thing last night and whilst 700 lumens is fantastic and great for the downhills[overkill for climbs] the thing about night is that it should be dark. The darkness /limited visability adds a bit of fun and hones the skills IMHO.
    Scorched earth is not for me personally.Some people have mor elight p[ower on their bike than their car 8O.

DezB
    Free Member

What do you mean by proper night riding? Is your riding in the dark any different from mine apart from the fact that I probably ride a lot more miles in the dark than you

Proper night riding = riding at night
    Mine is different from yours in that it is (probably) darker.

jedi

when my lot ride its limieted to 15w max and bar mounted only

tracknicko
    Free Member

night riding nazis!

when we go night riding we go to have fun! some people rock HID's and LED's other folks have pretty much candles in a box!

does it really matter?

zaskar
    Free Member

Angle the beam to the floor and not at other riders?

They are probably blind if they need 2000 lumens!

I only need my Hope vision 1 240 lumens when I ride my road bike at speed.

Beagleboy

I agree with Glenp / DezB. 😀

I'm happy for you if you feel the need to have things as bright as daylight, but please keep well clear of me. 🙂 Group rides can be a real nightmare now that everyone is tooling up with super-powerful LED lights. Riding solo at night I've never felt the need for more power, I run a 12w Spot / 20w Flood Lumicycle Halogen system and ride some reasonably technical stuff. However, when someone is behind you with their 'superlights' on, things can get a bit sketchy.

B.

bassspine
    Free Member

arguably if you're dazzling other road users eg drivers you are putting yourself at more risk than riding with an appropriate light.

OTOH, I was riding home the other night on the coast cycle route (from Dawlish towards Dawlish Warren) which is tree-lined and about 1/2 a mile from the nearest street light when I saw a dim little glow worm up ahead, it turned out to be a cyclist with a vintage ever ready incandescent bulb special. Almost invisible… if his eyes were adjusted to that I must have looked like a UFO with my headmounted Joystick, barmount L&M, and two flashing hipster cysts, maybe I could be said to be dazzling in comparison, and I'd just count it as reasonable for the conditions

JoB
    Free Member

riding with lights that turn night to day is as stupid as riding off-road and then needing suspension to smooth out the bumps

oh

grumm
    Free Member

Having suspension doesn't blind other people though does it. This light stuff is getting pretty silly – someone waa on about making a 12000 lumen light in another thread.

I also saw someone say the DX bike light was ok for commuting as long as you had 2 on the bars along with another powerful light on the helmet. 😆

AndyP
    Free Member

I also saw someone say the DX bike light was ok for commuting as long as you had 2 on the bars along with another powerful light on the helmet.

are you misquoting me again, or is that someone else?
    one DX, on the helmet, not 2 on the bars, it was 2 Airbike SL2s on the bars.

VanHalen

i thought half the fun of night riding was that you couldnt actually see properly.

glenp
    Free Member

VH – indeed, but it seems that some riders are confused and think the fun is if other people can't see properly!

grumm
    Free Member

Haha no I was misquoting you AndyP. I still think that's **** absurd.

The very first time I went night-riding I managed to ride a DH course doing drop-offs and jumps etc with two Fenix 220 lumen torches, and I am certainly no riding god. It wasn't ideal but it was fine.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

2 different point here

1 – Blinding other people is impolite. I have done it accidently with my Tesco style torch on the helmet. You don't need lots of lumens to acheive this

2 – How much light do you need to night ride? As much as you want. I ride with a single head torch and even turn that off on moon lit nights on wide paths. It the past I have ridden with home made lights with 3x50W halogen spotlights. They really gave off some heat and light until they caught fire in my garage one night.

AndyP
    Free Member

Haha no I was misquoting you AndyP. I still think that's **** absurd.
    no worries. I still think it's necessary on my commute. Much less needed offroad, clearly. YMMV etc.

grumm
    Free Member

Much less needed offroad, clearly.

You'd be better off with some lights designed to be seen from all angles on the road, rather than ones that are just designed to light up the darkness and will blind people in cars.

When I commute in the dark I have just one reasonably bright cateye thing.

AndyP
    Free Member

You'd be better off with some lights designed to be seen from all angles on the road, rather than ones that are just designed to light up the darkness and will blind people in cars.
    Couldn't agree more, which is why I have the setup I have. Easy to fit glowrings to most lights (plus the helmet-mounted light is perfect for side visibility), and as per the original thread, I've never blinded a person in a car.

scaredypants

I think really bright lights are probably dangerous on the road

Small sources of really bright light, some flashing, just look "odd" somehow to me when driving; headtorches even more as they're high up. Yes, I know they're bikes but they're so bright sometimes that I can't look directly at them, which makes judging speed of approach pretty hard (those who like to "eyeball" drivers, please bear in mind that you're potentially stopping them from looking at you).

I've said before, if I was commuting I'd shine the bright lights on ME, so that I look like a cyclist* rather than a (s)low flying jet

* (1st time for everything, right?)

Gary_M
    Free Member

i thought half the fun of night riding was that you couldnt actually see properly.

Not for me, for me night riding is about being able to do the same amount of riding in winter as I do in summer. I'm happy to accept that it's different for other people though.

when my lot ride its limieted to 15w max and bar mounted only

I sometimes think of joining a bike club, then read a statement like that and remember why I don't want to.

I think really bright lights are probably dangerous on the road

Whats your stance on car headlights? Are they also the work of the devil in your world.

glenp
    Free Member

Car headlights are properly designed and regulated by law. Most offroad bike lights aren't all that great for the road because they dazzle, which they also do offroad.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have you tried riding towards a car with full beam on?

glenp
    Free Member

Obviously cars can have full beam, but that isn't a fault with the design.

Jeeez. Is it pedant week?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Obviously cars can have full beam, but that isn't a fault with the design.

Which can still blind people approaching. My lights have a low mode and I have a hand to cover them. Is there a difference?

glenp
    Free Member

How much do you put your hand over? How do you use both brakes whilst doing that? Is your light spread the same on low power? Obviously there are lots of differences that do not need to be spelt out, due to being bleedin' abundantly blatantly patently obvious.

Offroad bike lights are not designed to avoid dazzling others. Car headlights are (when operated correctly). Therefore some consideration for other people when using offroad bike lights should be used. Using a lower power setting and turning them towards the ground is a good idea.

peachos
    Free Member

i agree with some of the stuff said on here. i only ride with my hope 2's on full for faster, technical sections – the majority of the time they're set to low or medium probably more to save battery life more than anything but i also don't think that they need to be on full whack all of the time. they have multiple outputs for a reason.

one thing that i have noticed recently since the increase in numbers of DX's on the trails, and something that annoys me a bit, is the fact that everyone seems to ride with them on full all of the time. it's not a problem on descents because i'm ususally way in front of everyone (:wink:) but when it's just normal trails and the group is bunched if i'm in front of a couple of DX users all i can see is my flipping shaddow!

i just get on with things though, i'm not about to go and write my frustrations on an internet forum or anything…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Therefore some consideration for other people when using offroad bike lights should be used.

I didn't say consideration shouldn't be shown. Obvioulsy my post is specific to me, I can ride one handed for the brief seconds I need to. But everyone is different.

tracknicko
    Free Member

how the **** can blinding a car briefly be more dangerous than not being seen? seriously?…

i have NEVER seen a driver veer into another car on full beam as a result of being dazzled…

however i most definately have seen poorly lit cyclists knocked all over the bloody road!

scaredypants

fullstop – masking your light (presumably you only have one) with a hand is great if you're on a country road and very few cars around. If it's busier you'd need to be able to dip it/them (preferably change the nature of the beam so that the upward spill is taken out, not just rotate it down a bit) unless you want to ride all the way with one hand on the controls

some cars have this ability in my world

boxfish
    Free Member

If I'm solo riding at night, I use my brightest (HID) light. When I'm off-road with my buddies, or riding on the road, I take a more 'sociable' light which doesn't spoil things for eveyone else.

Gary_M
    Free Member

scaredypants yes I have one light for the very dark bits. For urban stuff I have a light on low pointed down at the road. I haven't had any complaints yet, in fact one taxi driver complimented me on how brightly lit I was.

All this 'blinding poor old car drivers' is a myth only spouted by bike riders for some reason. When I'm driving I occassionally see riders on the road with 'very bright lights', I haven't been blinded yet.

scaredypants

I've been in a group of riders that has brought a couple of cars to a standstill. One shouted abuse out of his window as we passed.

(I was at the back & doubt he recognised me, so I assume it was our lights that did it)

Junkyard
    Free Member

no i did recognise you and you are still a cvnt 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Can you have too much light?’ is closed to new replies.