Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • can you get more than 1 bike on cyclescheme?
  • wors

if it doesn't come over the grand mark?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes as far as I remember.

AdamM
    Free Member

I didn't think so, as the intention is that you are buying a bike to commute to work on. You can buy a new bike in subsequent years, but I thought it was only one at a time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes but you can buy one bike to ride to the station for example and have another one at the other end of your train journey.

DickBarton

I think you can but you need to justify it i.e. you cycle from home to the railway station and the rail network doesn't allow bikes to be carried (perhaps due to time of travel), then you ride from station to work – you could get 2 bikes for that…1 bike stays at the station and the other stays at home and you use both to get to work. I think they both have to cost no more than £1000. Best check with the scheme you are involved in.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

as . said – basically both bikes have got to be obviously for yourself, and the total of the two must not be over a grand. This is to facilitate people who would like to ride a proper bike but get a train to work – therefore they can leave one bike at either end of their commute.

Easy!

Don't get caught buying a bike for a spouse though – that's naughty.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions.

Jim

miketually
    Free Member

Depending upon your employer/bike shop/morals you can get a voucher based on a quote for anything and then spend it on anything.

wors

nothing dodgy, i was thinking about getting a singlespeed for the winter commute and a new frame for my mtb which i sometimes use for the commute

barca
    Free Member

According to my employer (Borough Council) there is no compunction for the bike to be used for yourself or even to be used for commuting. It was even advertised on out Intranet as being an excellent way of buying your spouse and offspring a nice bike for Christmas! They did attach various healthy living and cycle initiative links with it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It was even advertised on out Intranet as being an excellent way of buying your spouse and offspring a nice bike for Christmas!

Did they administer the scheme themselves then? If the taxman sees that they'll be in the shit.

barca
    Free Member

I've had an email response form our Sustainable Transport Officer. Other than putting a bit of distance between himself and the scheme (its administration when it's open for 6 weeks per year is an absolute nightmare apparently), he reckons the government quietly dropped the proviso that the bike was to be used mainly for getting to work in favour of encouraging all and sundry to own (and hopefully use) a bike.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Agree with . – it's the first I heard of the government taking this line, though in practice more people on bikes is undeniably a good thing, the tax man will definately take a bit of convincing.

I certainly woudln't recommend customers buy bikes for anyone but themselves on the scheme, but as Miketually says it depends on the ethics of people usuing and adminstering the scheme….

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

who would know? id say just do it anyhow

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘can you get more than 1 bike on cyclescheme?’ is closed to new replies.