• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can you get a coil rev with maxle
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

or is it still just a pike?

Got a coil pike on atm and it feels great (borrowed off a mate) but at 5+lb its heavy as ****!

Is there a 140 or 150mm coil rev? or a 4lb coil fork with 140mm travel, travel adjust, and a 20mm axle (not a qr15)

chakaping
    Free Member

Don't think you can mate.

If you really want one, you could ask TFT if they can switch the internals.

I don't think the weight saving (vs Pike) would be that noticeable though, judging by the (quite heavy) air Rev w/maxle.

Pieface

Given that most air forks come in at 4lb with a QR, you'd be lucky to get a coiler with a maxle as well.

TBH your obsession with weight is that – an obsession. Your post the other day was saying the bike rode better than it ever had before, but now you're keen to lose weight – why bother? If the bike rides well then why worry about weight?

Like a woman, sometimes a bit of extra weight is no bad thing

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was just about to reply with "Yeah, it's called a Pike".

You're right, the coil Pikes are heavy at 5lb-ish (for a Pike coil with steel steerer and solid crowns), but aluminium steerer Pike coils (454 I believe) are lighter.

The Pike coil is excellent, it's as reliable as a Fox Vanilla, but an order of magnitude stiffer. Granted, the damper on the Fox is better, but it's not overloaded with features and doesn't come with travel adjust unless you opt for the very pricey TALAS versions. You might try the Magura Thor or Manitou Minute though, neither of which I know a great deal about, but the Manitou is supposed to be very lightweight.

bikefish85
    Free Member

The 2010 Recon has 140mm Uturn coil and maxle, but a bit more weight than your 4lbs.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Like a woman, sometimes a bit of extra weight is no bad thing

Quote of the day 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

You might try the Magura Thor or Manitou Minute though, neither of which I know a great deal about, but the Manitou is supposed to be very lightweight.

Thats what i currently have (back at magura with a broken dropout)

Del

this month's mag has a write on a few forks – all bolt though of some description.
    i'm with pieface though. i probably stuck an extra pound or two on the front of my five when i replaced the fox float with a ( steel steerer ) pike, and while you might notice it when you pick the bike up, you'd be hard pushed to know when you're riding. the fact that the fork behaves well and the wheel goes where you point it is a bonus of course..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can you get a coil rev with maxle’ is closed to new replies.